Forums Latest Members
  1. timeliz Sep 28, 2012

Hi...

First time posting here...(Dennis scooted me this way) ...but you may have seen me on other sites.

This is a recent acquisition and I am curious about the dial as I have not encountered another quite like it in my web searches.
    What I did notice is the large variety of dial variations (some obvious redials) cased in a variety of different case styles.

[​IMG]

serial # 11240647 c.1947
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

seller's photo...better case shot...
    [​IMG]

The case has a stamp on one of the lugs...this seems Abby Normal to me. Has anyone else seen this?
    My photo isn't great...my camera is old and weary and macro comes and goes at its whim...stamp is circular with rays or spokes radiating out from a center circle. I'll try to get a better pic in the morning light and post it.

[​IMG]

Comments encouraged...even if it's something like this....

[​IMG]

Now let's all drink ::beer::'cause lifes too short!

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 28, 2012

The stamp on the lugs is found on some 1940's Omega watches. I've seen it before, but I have no idea what it means.

The case for Ref. 2608 has a distinctive bent lug, which your watch has, so that seems correct. The Omega Vintage Database shows the correct caliber as cal. 283. Jules Borel shows it as 265/280/283. The name of the 30 T2 SC PC movement was changed to cal. 280 in 1949, so that also makes sense.

The hands are appropriate for the late 1940's, early 1950's time frame. I do think that the dial was redone in black at some point and the seconds hand dipped in red paint. Not uncommon for watches to be redialled to suit their owners' wishes at that time.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 28, 2012

As Gator says, this watch checks out time period, case and movement wise with the Omega data base. However in order to give more definitive opinions on the dial, we would need to see better and closer images, preferably with the dial out of the case. It was produced at the end of an era when there was enormous variation in dial design and colour.
    Certainly is a nice looking watch with a great movement.

4. timeliz Sep 28, 2012

Gator...I'm happy to hear that at least someone else has seen that type of stamp on a case. I guess more research is in order to determine who stamped it and why.
    Thanks for your reply.

Cincindela...I want to get a better look at the dial myself and will post pics once I get the stem out. I'm no a stranger to removing a stem from a movement but have never done so with an Omega. Is it difficult to get back in? Thanks for your reply.

Liz

5. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 28, 2012

I don't think you need to remove the dial out of that case to take pictures (no need to get the stem out either) you only need to remove the bezel which the crystal is attached to.

A good front view with the crystal on is ok, too

ps, Be extremely careful if you remove the bezel, not recommended if you have not done that before.

6. timeliz Sep 28, 2012

hoipolloi ... This case has only 2 pieces...in order to remove the movement from the case and get a close-up look at the dial, the stem would need to be removed, or the crown alone but I'd prefer to take it out in one piece.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 28, 2012

No it IS actually a three piece case here is a 2605, which is the sub-second version of your watch.

IMG_1190.JPG

8. timeliz Sep 28, 2012

WOW... ...My case has no signs of ever being opened in this manner and I was looking with a magnifier. :oops: I stand corrected.

Thanks for sharing yours...the only other one I've seen in this case so far.

ok...got the removable bezel off...

[​IMG]

and a full sun shot
    [​IMG]

...I don't know...I have my doubts about this being a redial...if it is, it's a darn good one imvho :unsure: