Forums Latest Members
  1. mcarlin2001 Apr 6, 2015

Hello,

First posting here. Apologies if I am breaking the written and/or the unwritten rules. ...

I am considering a watch offered on eBay. The item number is 381218312378.

I have emailed the seller a couple of times and received quick responses. The seller indicates that it is keeping time within about 15 seconds a day, and would improve after a service. The seller also states that the dial is probably original, but is not sure.

I am wondering if this is a genuine Omega dial, movement, case, and crown. I would like to avoid a "Frankenstein" watch cobbled together using some authentic and some inauthentic parts. I've been having some trouble getting good information on the serial number listed on the case back.

Generally, does this seem like a worthwhile watch to pursue, or do you see problems with it. Many thanks in advance for your time and your expertise.
    $_57.JPG

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 6, 2015

Genuine however the dial has been rather poorly refinished.

PASS.

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 6, 2015

Parts watch with the bad redial.

4. redpcar Apr 6, 2015

Don't like auctions with reserves. Typically tells me the seller is too optimistic about the value. Reckless redial. Bad enough that even I couldn't live with it :eek:

5. mcarlin2001 Apr 6, 2015

Folks, Thanks very much for your thoughts. Naive question - how do you get a sense of whether a dial has been refinished? Basically by looking at hundreds of dials, and getting a feel for it?

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 6, 2015

Yes - pattern recognition after seeing countless thousands.

7. lillatroll Apr 6, 2015

Hello

If it does not show any signs of age then its probably a redial, although it might not always be the case. A lot of Pie Pans and constellations pop up that have new looking dials, non redials look their age. If you put pictures on here you will get your answer pretty quick. A lot of Watches from eastern europe and India often seem to good to be true.

8. redpcar Apr 6, 2015

Print alignment !

VetPsychWars likes this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 7, 2015

This is way to general a statement and misleading. You follow that and you would never find a really nice watch. A poor looking dial might be an old redial and a great looking dial may be on a mint condition safe queen. You have to learn to judge the entire package and as MSNwatch said this takes time and experience looking at a lot of watches.
    Until you have a knowledge base in your head, watch, listen, learn and ask. Don't guess. Don' trust. Don't be pushed by sellers. Don't be impulsive. There are always more watches coming on the market. Take your time.

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 7, 2015

Lots of exceptions - here is one example that has an original yet unblemished dial in a 60 year old constellation.

[​IMG]

Or since this is a 30T2 thread here is one which is even older - about 70 years old:

[​IMG]

Hijak, alam, Tire-comedon and 2 others like this.
  11. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 7, 2015

For me the indicators are the "Omega"" and symbol are too high and the 5 overlaps the seconds ring, which isn't circular.

A watch that has been serviced "often enough" so that its seals have been replaced or kept in a dry environment without temperature extremes, its dial will look a lot better over the years.

Tom

adam78 likes this.
  12. mcarlin2001 Apr 7, 2015

So, again, thank you for the thoughts about dials. What about this one? Do you think this is original? It is advertised as such, but now I don't know what to think. The price seems high, but perhaps it is reasonable. It is eBay item number 281425924358:
    [​IMG]

13. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 7, 2015

Dial looks fine, but the asking price is more than twice what the watch is worth.