Forums Latest Members
  1. tennjed Mar 20, 2023

I am not ready to buy now, but figure the next watch I do buy could very well be an example with 30t2 movement. It seems the 30t2 examples feature that Spartan appearance that I love so much in just about everything. The below is an example of one, presently listed on world's greatest garage sale, that really caught my eye.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1257288507...uid=PHbmUPfzQaO&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPYPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I thought I would ask a couple of questions before I go further in looking for one.

1. I notice that the vast majority of 30t2 watches listed are priced above $1,000.00, with many over $2,000.00. A small percentage are priced at $700 or less. Is the 30t2 a much sought after watch? Should a buyer expect to pay over $1000.00 for a good example?

2. As they are all older, it is sometimes difficult for me, a newbie, to identify obvious signs of a redial. In the example above, the Omega script looks pretty good to me, but the aging/patina associated with the numerals/lume make it difficult to feel good about whether or not this is original. Does the above look like a redial? If so, I would appreciate any information on tell-tales I may have missed.

3. On this particular example the crown is flat. On many other examples the crown is not flat, but rather, features a sort of wart, like that on the example below.

[​IMG]

Is either crown appropriate to 30t2 watches?

4. Given two separate 30t2 watches, both functioning well, but one features obvious signs of redial, by what percentage, generally, is the value of the redialed watch reduced? Assume the redial is well done, and not obvious without close inspection.

I have already, from reading other posts, figured out that repair of these watches can be expensive, and that parts are scarce.

Thanks for any help/guidance.

Omegafanman and sheepdoll like this.
  2. Dan S Mar 20, 2023

In addition to condition and originality, case size has a big impact on value for the 30mm movement examples. In particular, there are some "jumbo" references (above 37mm) that will easily bring over $1k for a decent example, and maybe even over $1500 for one with a special dial. But the more common 35mm examples would not generally bring that much. As usual, black or special dials sell for more than ordinary common white/cream dials, but many/most of the black dials are repainted, so you need to bring your skepticism.

On the first watch you showed (the sector dial), the dial looks ok at first glance but the hands are replacements and relumed IMO.

You probably have already learned this, but the sub-second 30T2 series was renamed 26X (cal 260, 261, etc.) and the sweep seconds versions were renamed 28X (283, 284, etc.) starting in the late 1940s, and they were made into the early 1960s IIRC. Over that long time period, a wide range of styles (including crowns) were produced.

And because every thread needs photos ...

omega_30mms.jpg

Edited Mar 20, 2023
  3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 20, 2023

I thought I would ask a couple of questions before I go further in looking for one.

Q_1. I notice that the vast majority of 30t2 watches listed are priced above $1,000.00, with many over $2,000.00. A small percentage are priced at $700 or less. Is the 30t2 a much sought after watch? Should a buyer expect to pay over $1000.00 for a good example?

A_
    A 30T2 movement that is running well after 80 years is worth something. Parts are hard to find and if it goes with a famous reference like 2400 Suveran or 2179, a nice and original dial. I am sure you have to pay more than a thousand, maybe two.

Screenshot_20230320_183900_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230320_184528_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230320_184647_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230320_185005_Gallery.jpg

Q_
    2. As they are all older, it is sometimes difficult for me, a newbie, to identify obvious signs of a redial. In the example above, the Omega script looks pretty good to me, but the aging/patina associated with the numerals/lume make it difficult to feel good about whether or not this is original. Does the above look like a redial? If so, I would appreciate any information on tell-tales I may have missed.

A_
    I hate the Swiss Made but I cannot say for sure it is a redial or not.

Q_
    3. On this particular example the crown is flat. On many other examples the crown is not flat, but rather, features a sort of wart, like that on the example below.

[​IMG]

Is either crown appropriate to 30t2 watches?

A_
    30t2 used many types of crowns depend on case designs and function. Some were waterproof some did not. That nipple crown was correct on some non waterproof cases.

Screenshot_20230320_185525_Gallery.jpg

Q_
    4. Given two separate 30t2 watches, both functioning well, but one features obvious signs of redial, by what percentage, generally, is the value of the redialed watch reduced? Assume the redial is well done, and not obvious without close inspection.

A_
    I would say 50% at least.

I have already, from reading other posts, figured out that repair of these watches can be expensive, and that parts are scarce.

You are right.

Omegafanman and tennjed like this.
  4. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 20, 2023

30T mvmts are easy to service. Very robust. Parts available. Balance and Hairspring very hard to find and there are many different ones over the years.... Your first one: looks good . Good size for an Ladies Watch. Crown needs a better side pics.,but should be correct. Your second one: Crown is correct and often called Bowler Hat crown. The rest is a disaster , broken Lug as well....

Omegafanman and tennjed like this.
  5. tennjed Mar 21, 2023

Thanks for all the help.

@watchyouwant.

I did not realize that any Omega watch, before Seamaster, were waterproof. I will have to spend some time on this. I would consider a waterproof watch preferable to non-waterproof.

Is the first watch I showed a "Ladies Watch?" That is one of my greatest concerns in the pursuit......I cannot rightfully say that I am able, just from a photograph, to confidently distinguish men's from women's watches. Now, if your comment was just a good-hearted confirmation of your preference for larger watches.....I would respond: The buckler went out of style with the sword; thank heavens. :)

watchyouwant likes this.
  6. Dan S Mar 21, 2023

The 30T2 movement is 30mm, so the case is usually at least 34mm, although there might be some that are 33mm, I’m not totally certain. But you won’t generally find a 30mm movement in a ladies watch IMO. I think that Achim may have been teasing a little.

watchyouwant likes this.
  7. mac_omega Mar 21, 2023

the smallest are 32.5 mm and there are quite some references of this size, e.i. the Techron, ref CK 2242 (a Pilot´s watch! for the RCAF)

hoipolloi, watchyouwant and Dan S like this.
  8. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 21, 2023

Here it is

2-c58d8e2a09-1.jpg Screenshot_20230320_183900_Gallery.jpg

bardamu, Dan S and watchyouwant like this.
  9. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 21, 2023

The higher jewelled 17 and 18 jewel versions of the T30.