Forums Latest Members

30 watches in the collection and i can't enjoy most of them

1. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Jul 21, 2019

i don't know what to do about this paralysis

it's not because i don't like them. some of it's because of the struggling of picking which one to wear, and some i have grown out of favor with, but most i still like.

i think i could axe maybe 10 of them but i think i would go into conniptions if i had to sell 20 of them.

the majority of the collection is both vintage and newer valued in the 1-2k range.

there are some that are less and some a little more

it's really hard for me to let go w/o getting my price because i like them, which further clouds sales

2. Bumper Jul 21, 2019

I need pics to think..

Longbow, Observer, Davidt and 5 others like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 21, 2019

Get all your watches out.
    Set aside 6 you want to move on and put them aside.
    Give it a week and if one leaves the move on pile back to keep it has to be replaced. ( so always 6 ) This will change a few times ;)

At the end of a week you will feel better about what stays and what goes.

The problem will be when you sell six what you buy, so make it you buy One nice watch for what you get from selling the six. This is the reward for selling six so you have a goal. :whistling:

4. CdnWatchDoc Jul 21, 2019

Good advice! I got into a cycle of buying more than I could handle (oooh, shiny!!), and now have about 5 times what you have. Take a stand, heed this advice, parse them out, and only keep what really speaks to you. You can be spared the intensive treatment for WAD (watch acquisition disorder), and enjoy those that are really special.

M'Bob and DaveK like this.
  5. BillLundberg Jul 21, 2019

Problems of first world countries, my wife tells me.

Joe_A, jaguar11, Shabbaz and 2 others like this.
  6. Screwbacks Jul 21, 2019

i have more than double your problem. and still enjoying each of them.

7. michael22 Jul 21, 2019

Just add a new drawer to the collection. Leave all your old watches in the old drawer.
    Only open one drawer per day.

DaveK likes this.
  8. tikkathree Jul 22, 2019

It's a tough old world isn't it? We can probably all share your distress; it's a price we pay.
    You could always make the mistake I sometimes make of flipping the least popular ostensibly to fund another purchase and then suffer months of recriminations and occasionally trigger a buy-back of a particular watch. I don't mind admitting ('cos it's good for me) that I'm about to flip my third Seiko Alpinist: it could live in the drawer and get kinda "1 day in fifty" wear but really apart from it being a pretty dial I shan't miss it.

9. ext1 Jul 22, 2019

I used to have a lot of watches, until one day I realized that if I sold them all, I could get a grail. And so the thinning of the herd started...

Benbradstock likes this.
  10. Shabbaz Jul 22, 2019

In the beginning of the year I had the feeling I had too many watches that did'nt get any wristtime so I decided to let some go and buy one watch for them back. Worked out very good for me.

Screenshot_20190621-224213_Gallery.jpg
  11. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Jul 22, 2019

"It's a tough old world isn't it? We can probably all share your distress; it's a price we pay.
    You could always make the mistake I sometimes make of flipping the least popular ostensibly to fund another purchase and then suffer months of recriminations and occasionally trigger a buy-back of a particular watch. I don't mind admitting ('cos it's good for me) that I'm about to flip my third Seiko Alpinist: it could live in the drawer and get kinda "1 day in fifty" wear but really apart from it being a pretty dial I shan'tmiss it."

yuuppp..there are a few that i just like to look at. but there are a few i bought back. most notably my heuer deep dive on bracelet. really would love to get my sieffert and fifty back...but unlikely.

heuer_deep_dive.jpg

i really want to start thinking like this more. but i always ed up buying lets say three watches for 5k instead of one. i really don't know if i want a 5-10K watch. this will clean stuff up if i proceed that way though

Edited Jul 22, 2019
  12. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Jul 22, 2019

gr8 choice..im heading that way. at least i hope to

13. ext1 Jul 22, 2019

You know you do! ;) Let's hear your grails! :p

No really. I got the same advice from a friend long time ago, and it's helped me get the dream pieces that I really wanted (which at the time was an Ed white) and, needless to say, frivolous purchases stopped.

14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 22, 2019

Unless someone needs to sell for the money (or has gone off certain watches - which happens, I’m sure) I don’t understand this kind of problem.
    I get the greatest enjoyment out of wearing a different watch every day.
    If you do it either in sequential rotation or to match your activity for that day, that’s only one month’s worth of watches.
    By the time you get back to the beginning you ‘rediscover’ watch #1 (What better problem to have?)
    If some of them no longer speak to you, that’s the time to consign them to the ‘potential sales’ pile.

chronoboy64, Dan S, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  15. jaguar11 Jul 22, 2019

What a nice problem to have. Certainly beats the heck out of not having clean water to drink.

Longbow likes this.
  16. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Jul 22, 2019

"What a nice problem to have. Certainly beats the heck out of not having clean water to drink"

thanx for the guilt.

if you haven't felt the feeling it's hard to explain. it's like clutter or hoarding. it overwhelms you

17. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Jul 22, 2019

i really don't think i have any. let's say i'm close to buying a trilogy seamaser of railmaster if i sell several watches..as much as i want one of those my cheapness knows that buying a vintage no date sub is w/o question a better buy. so that cripples my thought process and halts what i do. yes i want both, and there is anguish in choosing.

18. llvhhui Jul 22, 2019

I have a 5 slot watch box. My goal was to limit to 5 so one in one out. Now I have 7 and I can’t decide which ones to get rid of...

BlackTalon likes this.
  19. jsducote Jul 22, 2019

I cannot relate to someone who has to Marie Kondo their watch collection.

20. Observer I know nothing! Jul 22, 2019

Oh, come on. Set aside the ones that are part of the collection you want to build and sell the others. How tough can it be?
    I don't know much, but I know there are three types of watches for me.
    -Watches I'll keep forever. These are the grails and inherited watches. Some will rarely be worn.
    -Watches to wear. These are in the regular rotation. I'll add an Aqua Terra to this group soon, and around here this should probabl include a Speedmaster.
    -Watches that are passing through. Good deals, flippable watches, and the watches that everyone should own at least once.

Figure out what you've got, and don't buy anything without deciding which category it belongs in ahead of time.
    Oh, and don't overpay unless it's for a watch in group one.
    Any questions?