Forums Latest Members

3 Vintage Omega. looks ok to me, but what do you think?

1. GLanciano Jun 23, 2016

Hello All, I'm new to the forum, to Omegas, and to vintage watches I general. I've done some lurking and reading up on here about what to look for and look out for and I've got to say, I'm taking a real shine to Omegas.

I need help with spotting unoriginal parts, refinishing, polishing, that sort of thing. I'd especially love particular examples of how to spot any mismatched pieces, replacements, polishing, refinishing, etc.

I know to look for omega casebacks, generally recognize the periods movements, some things about what should or shouldn't be on the dial, and the like. Like I said, these look ok to my untrained eye, so please please please don't leave out anything that you see to be amiss and unoriginal.

Seamaster (unoriginal crown)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/282075365141Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seamaster 166.067
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/272268268054Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Constellation 168.005
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/311639625331Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fjf Jun 24, 2016

The first is a bad redial. The second is hard to tell, because of the bad pic. Could be OK, but dark dials are always suspicious. The last is a constellation pie-pan that may be OK (again, bad pic), if you like the heavy patina of the dial. I recommend better close-up pics of the dials.

chronos likes this.
  3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jun 24, 2016

With opinion requests, I would keep it to one watch at a time. You will get more detailed opinions.

4. fjf Jun 24, 2016

;)What, mine is too short? :unsure:

5. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jun 24, 2016

No not at all.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 24, 2016

You need a lot more research my friend. We can not do it for you as it comes with looking at lots of watches.

Pick one you like and spend a few days researching all about that model and looking at other examples and comparing . When you have done that post a picture and ask us before you are going to buy it.

Start here

https://omegaforums.net/threads/condition-condition-condition-and-other-pieces-of-advice.1716/

marturx and chronos like this.
  7. novina Jun 24, 2016

First link takes you to another Seamaster, not the one pictured. That link actually goes to something that looks better than what you posted. May want to check that. Assessment of the other two is as stated above. Black dials tend to be faked, but I think this one is ok. T SWISS T- can see lume on the hand tips and plots behind the makers. Crystal looks in poor condition,scratched, but maybe ok. It may also be causing doubt about it being original. Constellation seems ok, but it does have heavy patina. That would detract from value. As you have the case numbers visible of at least 1, 2 is the link is right on the first one, check them out on the Omega vintage data base, match up the particulars.

8. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Jun 24, 2016

Why is it, that when people are looking for vintage watches they do not look at the sales section here? if I was you, would wait till something came up for sale (here) that I liked instead of surfing the web for sub-part pieces. Unless you want to do a ton of research and pay your dues, its easy, just look at the sales section here.

9. novina Jun 24, 2016

You have a very valid point with buying on the For Sale thread. But as much as I agree, sometimes people new to this hobby have little to spend. My first Omega was a 1960s Omega Seamaster. Paid $275 all done on EBay. Of course there was the extra $250 I paid for the serving of the automatic caliber 550. But I did not have to outlay $525 at once. To me that was an advantage. I know there are great pieces here, but sometimes money is not available right now. That is why we alway say to buy the seller and do your due diligence when buying on EBAY. Remember, some here have caviar tastes but have a ramen noodle bank account.

Edited Jun 24, 2016