Forums Latest Members

3 Most Famous/recognizable watches?

1. immustard A condiment that loves to chive to thyme songs Apr 1, 2016

Having one of those bored on a Friday afternoon discussions today about what are the 3 most famous/recognizable watches eve?
    i said :-
    1)Rolex submariner
    2)Omega speedmaster
    3)heuer manaco
    My colleague insisted on the Rolex daytona being in there,What do you all think?

2. LawBrk Apr 1, 2016

1) Submariner
    2) Rolex
    3) Rolex

Frunkinator likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 1, 2016

Yes when one is talking about the (ignorant) general public I am afraid this is true.

Buckeyes#1, Willem023, Loupe and 3 others like this.
  4. abrod520 Apr 1, 2016

For a watch nerd this would be the exact top three I'd have suggested, but @LawBrk is right - if we're splitting hairs I'd say maybe the Datejust and GMT would be the next two, but they're definitely Rolex.

proedge and immustard like this.
  5. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Apr 1, 2016

IMHO, number 1 has to be the Movado Museum. The original, designed by George Horwitt in 1947, has long been in the permanent collection of New York's Museum of Modern Art. Ironically, I believe Movado and other makers released copycat designs for many years before Movado was finally able to negotiate the legal rights to the design in the early 70s. The Submariner makes no. 3 on my list, but no. 2 has to Movado.jpg Corum.jpg be the Corum Presidential, worn by many US Presidents.

red crowned likes this.
  6. philh Apr 1, 2016

1 Seamaster (Bond connection)
    2 Submariner ( brand awareness
    3 G shock (amount sold and visual appearance)

Frunkinator likes this.
  7. Cosd Apr 1, 2016

"the most famous recognizable" in my view is "the masses", not just watch nerds!

I think your top two wouldn't make the top 200!

Optimizer13 and OMGRLX like this.
  8. abrod520 Apr 1, 2016

This is an April Fool's joke, right? Not only have I never seen this before, but having done so now (thanks for that, BTW) all I can say is - yes, that's a No. 2 watch for sure....

lando, Nitzbar, mokofoko and 2 others like this.
  9. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Apr 1, 2016

Alas, and please don't take this the wrong way, but you Omega (and Rolex) collectors live in quite the exclusive little world. In the already small world of people who wear expensive Swiss watches, only a tiny percentage would know the difference between one Rolex and other, or one Rolex and another. And I was being generous putting the Submariner as no. 3, a place that really belongs to the Swatch. :) swatch-watch-gb101.jpeg

Foo2rama likes this.
  10. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Apr 1, 2016

Correction, I meant only a few could tell the difference between on Rolex and another or one Omega and another. :)

11. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Apr 1, 2016

Well, many in the masses no longer wear watches at all, or wear plastic Chinese ones. And trust me, most of the masses know and care nothing about Rolex or Omega.

12. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 1, 2016

Among "normal" people not telling the difference between watches and clocks nor interested I would say:
    1. Big Ben
    2. Big Ben
    3. The one in Times square at new years

cicindela, lando, BlueBoy and 5 others like this.
  13. sky21 Apr 1, 2016

I would say generally Rolex at number 1 just because of the massive amount of advertising and sponsorships with athletes and events. Then probably generic Seiko/Casio/Timex in no particular order. Definitely no specific make and model with the general public.

14. Mr Bing Apr 1, 2016

It's always been a niggle to me that people all over the world regard Rolex as the ultimate watch, the height of luxury etc. I deal with some wealthy people (some ridiculously wealthy) and 9 out of 10 wear Rolex. Why?

I'm not sure exactly where I'm going with this but, say, if a guy came to me wearing a Jaeger LeCoultre, Vacheron Constantin, IWC etc that would tell me more about the man than any Rolex could. It tells me he's more unique, a little bit wiser....

Anyway, we all have an opinion and that's mine.

Cheers
    Paul

Willem023, Loupe and mozartman like this.
  15. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Apr 1, 2016

1 and 2 are clocks, not watches. And 3 isn't a watch or clock, but a ball (disco style, but bigger). So maybe off topic, but a good point. :)

16. tyrantlizardrex Apr 1, 2016

Number 1 is probably the Casio F91-W.

Casio say that they've sold lots but have no accurate records of production - every school kid has, or had one, and they seem to be on every wrist in Asia.

It might not be the prettiest, or the best, but it is probably the most popular/recognisable.

F-91W-1YEF.jpg

Edited Apr 1, 2016
    Nitzbar, Buckeyes#1, adam78 and 4 others like this.
  17. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Apr 1, 2016

I used to wear those in my long-distance running days, but they weren't very durable, and even if you didn't break it, the battery would die in a couple of years. Still, a great, iconic watch. The Timex Ironman is even more iconic, though. timex-ironman-triathlon-10-lap-czxomr0aj.jpg

18. abrod520 Apr 1, 2016

Absolutely that's true! Which is why I say that the OP's list is bang-on for watch nerds like us. But for those who aren't watch nerds, I'd still say the Rolex Submariner would be the most recognizable - most people don't necessarily know it's called a Submariner, or even that it is indeed a Rolex on the wearer's wrist, but you can be sure the first question would be, "Nice watch, is that a Rolex?" ;)

19. lillatroll Apr 1, 2016

Casio g shock
    Rolex shiny watch
    Swatch
    I think these watches fall into the seen every where category so most people could name them even if they don't own a watch.

Foo2rama and immustard like this.
  20. gostang9 Apr 1, 2016

By "Most Famous/recognizable" I would suggest it relates to the masses, and therefore:

1 - Rolex: most recognizable "brand", although many wouldn't know the difference between models having never ownded one nor ever plan to, but they'd likely recognize the Sub or DJ as long as it has the Cyclops date magnifier.

2 - Casio G-Shock: very copied in the cheap throw-away watch market.

3 - Seiko - very common quartz

4 - Swatch: of all Swatch/Omega brands, the Swatch is likely much more "famous" than either Seamaster or Speedmaster. For the masses, I would argue even Tissot would be better known and certainly more common in people I come across globally who want a "good" watch without going into thousands of USD/EUR.