Forums Latest Members
  1. montello2 May 29, 2018

Hi,

New here ... we already have 3 60s Omegas;I also have a few other watches but not an excessive amount.

The first is a Reference 165.0002
    Serial Number: 22,xxx,xxx (1965)

This was inherited from my grandad; I had the case re-plated and the watch serviced by Paul Walker; I think he did a great job.
    [​IMG]

The next I never wear ... also inherited and not serviced in years.

Reference 166.0282
    Serial Number: 47,XXX,XXX (1985)
    [​IMG]

The next was a gift to my wife for her 40th; bought of eBay and serviced by Paul Walker. She wears this most days,
    [​IMG]

This brings us to my request for help ....

I'm looking at buying a steel version of my wife's watch for her as she says she likes it but does not always want to a wear a gold watch.

It is reference ST165.004

The deal is on hold at the moment as I have noticed an issue with the paperwork.

I have had quite an extensive dialogue with the seller and have discovered an issue which I don't know what to make of ...

The back story is that this is a one family watch; bought by the sellers father in 1966 to celebrate his silver wedding anniversary and then inherited by the son who is now selling as he is now old and cant keep the auto running due to inactivity; he's in his 70s. I believe the seller is credible and I don't think he's up to anything ...

Anyway; the watch comes with it's original 1966 purchase receipt showing a 22,xxx,xxx serial number which is consistent with the date.

The seller has also sent me a few service invoices dating from 2008 - 2018; these are all from Swatch Group/Omega.

Anyway; all the papers; original receipt and service papers carry the correct reference ST165.004 (although the later years a few extra 0s creep in the middle) but the service papers carry a 31,xxx,xxx serial number which I believe dates for 1969-70.

The seller does not know the movement number and has no means to remove the case back so no movement photos are available.

He is adamant that the watch and the service papers go together and that there is no possibility that there is any muddle up. The reference numbers match and so I am certain that if the back of the watch was removed it would reveal the 31M serial number.

He is also adamant that the watch was bought in 1966 as the receipt shows given the silver wedding connection. He has offered to send me a copy of the wedding certificate.

All through my questioning the seller has been open and when I have pointed out the issue with serial numbers he had no idea of the discrepancy or how it may have occurred.

So ... my question is what the the likely scenarios here??

- Movement replacement under warranty/service?
    - New watch bought in 1969-70 with the same reference that the son was not aware of?

What are your thoughts ...

Edited May 29, 2018
  2. Vitezi May 29, 2018

The answers, of course, all reside inside that watch. :) A local vintage watchmaker ought to be able to disassemble the watch and take photographs relatively easily on behalf of the seller. It's quite possible the movement was swapped during a service, but I would expect documentation of that swap somewhere in those service receipts, as well as a larger than expected service cost for those new parts. More likely those receipts belong to another watch.

If an unknown watch history bothers you, a lady's steel Geneve should be fairly common and another nice example will eventually come along.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. montello2 May 29, 2018

Indeed; a peek inside would confirm what I expect that the movement number matches the recent service paperwork at 31m ...

There is no paperwork bridging the gap between the receipt and the 2008 Omega Service.

What I am really looking for are thoughts one how the movement serial number changed from 22m to 31m ...

Is it likely the movement was replaced or more likely that there is some sore of watch/paperwork muddle going on?

4. Vitezi May 29, 2018

Perhaps a clue lies in the reference numbers? Here you mention one number:
    And here is another:
    Same watch?

5. montello2 May 29, 2018

Sorry that is my typo ST165.004 or in some papers ST165.0004 or ST16500004

I will correct the OP.

6. montello2 May 30, 2018

Anyone any thoughts?

7. Biezmez May 30, 2018

Agree that you either need to get into the watch and have a look or walk away and look for a similar that shouldn’t be too difficult.

I guess the movement could have been swopped during a service. Possibly the original watch was lost/stolen and replaced with a similar one at s later date?

Let us know what you decide anyone, interesting to know the conclusion.