Forums Latest Members

2nd hand Omega, but no red certificate

1. sphdsdb Jul 14, 2020

Hi all,

I am considering buying a 2nd hand Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch from a dealer, but it does not have the red certificate cards. Normally, the watch would still be under warranty until 2023, but the dealer offers a 1-year warranty. Is this a big problem?

Any views you could share would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Alex

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 14, 2020

Price ?

Dealer ? Who, which country, reputable, bricks and mortar or Internet ?

We need more information.

From what you have said it sounds grey market. Price is got to be worth it.....

vbrad26 and JimInOz like this.
  3. Dor_42 Jul 14, 2020

If the price is right and the overall condition of the watch is ok then yes.
    Also depends on what you see as something that matters or not.
    When I was researching where I was going to buy my Speedmaster (Should arrive soon!) I have decided that even tho I found some mint ones for a very good price I want my watch to be brand new, so when some day it is passed on to my son it's history would have started with me.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 14, 2020

If you're buying second hand, how did you establish that warranty would extend until 2023?

vbrad26 likes this.
  5. WatchTimes Jul 14, 2020

Is the dealer an Omega AD or just a watch store.
    If just a watch store in general I do not care for their warranty as their concern is always cheapest fix as their boss is the store that pays them.
    If an AD its not the same attitude.

You need to give more info for a good answer.

killer67 likes this.
  6. chaw6125 Jul 14, 2020

If it was the old 2 year warranty on a speedy and the savings were good I would go for it. With the new 5 year warranty the savings would have to be drastically cheaper than a service to me.

7. sphdsdb Jul 14, 2020

8. 8100_RPM Jul 14, 2020

Personally, I would prefer to have the complete set when it comes to a limited edition watch like the ST2. It should be priced accordingly.

airansun likes this.
  9. RonJ Jul 14, 2020

I'm no expert, but I have to agree with this point.
    The whole idea of a Limited Edition watch is that it have "no stories".
    If you have to explain later why it didn't come with everything, that kind of reduces the overall "value to a collector".

For example, I like the Speedmaster Pro TinTin watch.
    But, if I'm going to buy one, I want one that is almost BNIB and with all the documentation.
    To me, the value is in its "collectibility", not just its "look".

10. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 14, 2020

So they kept the box and goodies but threw away the cards? Thats weird... unless they lost them? I have never heard of the dealer WatchWay but they only have 44 reviews. You have to very much "buy the seller" and when I search chrono24, I find the seller name and cross search them online. In the case of this watch, I would try to find their online store, if they have a physical building, how long have they been a store, and google: "watchwayswiss omegaforums" "watchway reviews" to see if anyone else has talked about them. If you come back empty handed, you can still proceed with the purchase... but IF you ever decide to sell it, you will take a hit as you are now the person that doesn't have the cards. Or, you can keep looking until you find the full kit.

I second the notion of- I have no interest in dealer warranty. Specially with a small store like this one. I googled them for reviews and couldn't find a thing.

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 9.42.53 PM.png
  11. Dor_42 Jul 15, 2020

In addition to what everyone else said, try not to post the link to the watch you are trying to buy.
    Instead attach the photos from the listing and put whatever you see regarding reviews in writing (so “seller xxxxx has 44 reviews...”)
    It may seem that we are all close friends here but if you share a bargain (not saying that this one is) don’t be surprised if someone pulled the trigger first.

Om3ga321 likes this.
  12. RonJ Jul 15, 2020

Good point, in general.

But, I will say, for myself, I would never try to slightly out-bid another member here with inside information on a for-sale watch website.

I know there is no guarantee others wouldn't, but I could not reconcile that with myself after the fact.

Better to miss out on the bargain, than to violate that trust. YMMV.

13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 15, 2020

Why would this particular watch have no cards?? I find that very odd...

14. sphdsdb Jul 15, 2020

Thanks all for your very insightful comments and suggestions - much appreciated.
    I am a newbie and it is nice to see the support from members on this forum.
    As for the suggestions of keeping it vague on the deal I am after, I understand :). I am not desperate, so even if it sold to someone else, including someone from the forum, so be it. There will be another opportunity...hopefully.
    Thanks again everyone!

15. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 15, 2020

Box and papers have a value. That value is amplified on a LE where completeness is everything. The full 5 year International transferable Omega warranty also has a significant value, no card, likely no warranty*. I would put an Ultraman without the warranty card and by extension without the full warranty at ~20% lower value than one with. It better be cheap.

* it’s possible the warranty may still apply but you’d need to ask an AD and it may be at their discretion if the is no card.

Edited Jul 15, 2020
  16. sphdsdb Jul 15, 2020

So what do you reckon the price for this should be then?
    Thanks again.

17. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 15, 2020

A lot cheaper than that. I would want that one at a price in the low 5s at most, even from a dealer.

18. Dor_42 Jul 15, 2020

You can use filters to search for a similar watch that comes as a full set, see what the average is and deduct 20%.

19. Evitzee Jul 15, 2020

The cards are missing because its a grey market watch, which is a bit strange for a limited edition release, but stuff happens. Do some research on current values. You'll have to decide what the missing cards are worth. A 20% reduction is just pulled out of the air, there is no set figure. Personally, on a watch like this I'd want the full set with all the documentation. There are plenty of the ST2's out there to choose from.

Edited Jul 15, 2020