Forums Latest Members
  1. rob#1 Sep 10, 2017

IMG_0105.PNG Trawling around the auction sites I came across this 'gentleman's wristwatch of steel'. A 2998-5 is way out of my league, but does an estimate of US$16,000 -$20,000 seem fair considering the 'exchanged pushers,crown and crystal', and what I assume to be recent service chrono hands and an incorrect bezel?
    https://bruun-rasmussen.dk/m/lots/C65DCB1FE715?category_id=37659
    (Plenty of other nice pieces in the current auction too)

bhove likes this.
  2. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 10, 2017

Orange chrono hand... UltraMan avant-la-lettre

3. jimmyd13 Sep 10, 2017

Frankly, yes ... replacement crown, pushers, bezel, chrono hand ... still have it at $16000+. What would sink it is whether that case is polished. The case looks "too nice" for the rather washed dial but one photo with no comparator next to it makes it impossible to say for sure with these old eyes. I suspect it is quite heavily polished (but not by an amateur).

Personally I prefer the slightly earlier leaf sub register hands to the sticks but that's not really reflected in prices.

It should make the lower end fairly easily .... These things are still rare enough to bring that.

4. t_swiss_t Sep 10, 2017

I don't think so, the dial is unattractive and with the redone case and replaced parts it would take a good work over to bring back to life ... and then you'd still have the unattractive dial and unoriginal parts. Maybe right when these shot up there'd be people willing to buy a poor quality example like this but I think the market is more discerning now. If it goes, it'll be to someone who already has access to the needed parts or to someone who will regret their purchase.

bazamu likes this.
  5. Pahawi Sep 10, 2017

I saw it before the auction house prepped it for sale – for sure most would prefer the case how it was before. Unfortunately that’s how this auction house often act. The dial and plots looks like there’s a layer of dirt on it. Bezel is glued on, but I guess that’s a minor thing as it has to be changed anyway. Not sure how hard / expensive it is to find a correct chrono hand? A good DON bezel is not that hard to find, but will be expensive. Despite the condition, it’ll probably fetch good money to both owner and auction house (add 30% to the hammer price).

Good luck bidding :)

6. ndgal Sep 10, 2017

Dial is ugly.

Brook likes this.
  7. nixf6 Sep 10, 2017

8. rob#1 Sep 12, 2017