Forums Latest Members
  1. radar_007 Sep 20, 2016

New to this forum, I've been looking for some time and found the it run very well with some very informative members.
    This watch was given to me by my late grandfather who had a watch repair business for many years.
    It was given to me over 20 years ago, I have worn it a few times since then. My current watch needed repair so I've been wearing this watch for the last few weeks. It's been keeping great time, maybe out 10 seconds fast a day.
    I've been doing research with all the numbers on the case and SN of the movement. From what I can tell the SN would make it around 1939. I'm not sure how my grandfather came of the watch, but I know the crystal was replaced and the crown might not match the year. What I have always found unique was the numbering style, especially the 10. I've only seen one other face with this style.
    If anyone has any further insight on what I have it would be greatly appreciated?

D55_2650.jpg IMG_0293.jpg IMG_0294.jpg
  2. mac_omega Sep 21, 2016

What I can see from the movement serial it could be a 30 T1 instead of a T2 - you can read this info underneath the balance wheel - check it please.

Concerning the winding crown: it is authentic - these were used in this era.

Enjoy this heirloom - it is a very nice and well preserved example with a very reliable movement.

Have the movement cleaned and lubricated and you will be able to adjust it to chronometer ratings...

adam78 likes this.
  3. radar_007 Sep 21, 2016

Thanks for the info. Zooming in on my photo it looks to me it is 30T2, I will have a closer look with the back off. It's the area just above the A R?
    Any insight on the numbering style?

4. mac_omega Sep 21, 2016

Yes, you are right it is a T2 - I thought by the serial# it could have been a T1 - around this number the change had happened...

Numerals are of fine design - I like them

5. TexOmega Sep 21, 2016

very unique look, very good condition, nice to know it will stay in family.

6. radar_007 Sep 21, 2016

Thanks, what astonished me is that it is keeping good time for sitting so long. I know my grandfather would have had serviced it over 25 years ago. A testament to the art of watchmakers every where. A true art that I am gaining more appreciation for as I'm getting older. Any advice on keeping it in this condition? Do I keep it winded or let it stop and wind it when it is being worn?

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 21, 2016

At the very least have a watchmaker examine the watch and see if it requires a service. Chances are that the oils are all dried up after 25 year or more.

Otherwise, you run the risk of grinding the pivots to dust in short order.
    gatorcpa

8. radar_007 Sep 21, 2016

Definitely going to keep it in working order with a service. Also, going to wear it more often. I figure it should be worn instead of kept in a cabinet.

9. Rman Sep 21, 2016

Really nice find!

As an amateur forager I'd venture to say your example has an umbonate crown with striated margins like this Hygrocybe singeri.::book::
    Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 9.19.13 PM.png

mac_omega likes this.