2279 back from the brink...full circle

To be clear I have never suggested, or even thought, that there has been a cleaning attempt on my dial.

I know you said this previously:

My initial thoughts were that there had been some kind of accidental abrasive contact with the dial at some point whilst releasing the dial from the movement, or at another point during the dismantling process. Nothing has really given me cause to have another opinion.

But the damage is so widespread that this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Some of the damaged areas are where the hands are close, so contact during removal of the movement would have been on the hands also, not just the dial.

Typically the first thing done after decasing, is to remove the hands, then the dial. I store the dial in a container, that is inside a tray - it doesn't get touched again until it's ready to be installed back on the movement - here's an example:

You can see that the dial is in a plastic container, and I do this because when I'm assembling or working on the watch, the trays are opened and closed a lot, so this adds another layer of protection in case somethings slips out of my hand for example - it won't fall right onto the dial surface.

To me the only two activities that could possibly result in this are during hand removal (unlikely given the sheer extent of the damage) and from some form of cleaning. Of course you remove dust from dials, because people don't want dust left inside their watches, but it needs to be done with a lot of care.

I for one don't see how you could continue with a watchmaker who took your possession and returned it to you so horribly damaged and had no answer but "Idunno". There has to be an explanation here, if they had told you they had damaged it and offered you compensation upfront, I'd understand due to your long running good history with this person, but no explanation well that would lose my business forever and ever. Unacceptable

Hopefully a happy end to what sounds like a nightmare for everyone here.

I find the new dial very desirable, wear it in good health (that you can now monitor with this new dial :thumbsup:)

To be clear I have never suggested, or even thought, that there has been a cleaning attempt on my dial.

Well, you don't end up with this kind of result only by removing/mounting case screws, clamps or hands so damage occurred during casing/uncasing feels unrealistic to me. Even letting the dial loose with disassembled parts in the same container would not do it. Most obvious logical (and simple) thing next is a cleaning attempt. There may well be another explanation, but I don't know what it would be.

Edit: I'd love to hear it honestly, because I'd like to avoid this situation...

Hmm, the main reason I hadn't posted about this during the last couple of years was because I was worried that the thread would take this kind of direction.

As I said, people can make mistakes and unintentional accidents can happen to the best of us. Fortunately that is what business insurance is for and in this case they have paid out satisfactorily, my WM relationship is maintained and I still have the watch.

I know my WM pretty well and he has done some really fantastic work for me over the years. Maybe some of you remember this one for example:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/from-ugly-duckling-to-black-swan.32193/

I'm not really looking for explanations as to why, how or what happened, I have my own ideas about that, but what is done is done.

The post was more a celebration of what time, patience, a bit of money and some luck can achieve. Nothing more, nothing less :)

Hmm, the main reason I hadn't posted about this during the last couple of years was because I was worried that the thread would take this kind of direction.

Understood, but probably unrealistic to expect people not to want to know how this happened. I think this is a concern for many vintage collectors, so wanting to know how it happens and possibly how to avoid it, is going to be top of mind for many.

Hi @cristos71 really appreciate you sharing this part of your journey. There are occasions when there isn’t an answer, acceptable, to the question ‘why?’ which turns back the hands of time or shed light sufficient to the circumstance. The best laid plans, and all that .... I have come to know your WM some...good youre ok with the resolution .... to a degree. Celebrate! Indeed.

Wow, what a story.
I can only imagine the horror seeing that beautiful watch returned to you, in that condition.

Gladto hear, you are happy with how it all turned out, in the end

So I started this thread in April 2021 as I'd achieved some kind of closure on my CK 2279. I was happy with the result and thought that that was that.

But, as we all know things are never quite so simple when it comes to the hobby of vintage watches and it was so when in July of 2022 I received a PM out of the blue from @toddle321 pointing me in the direction of a loose dial that he had spotted on CH24.

041.jpg

This one was incredibly a perfect match for the rare original dial that had been trashed in 2019, exactly the same even down to the Fab.Suisse text showing that it was a French market piece when first sold in the early 40's. Well obviously I had to have it but it took a while to come to agreeable terms with the seller who clearly new what he had.....Anyway sometimes it is necessary to dig deep to get the right result and I think this was no exception so by October I had the dial in hand after being very kindly facilitated by our very own @iamvr :)

All three together...

040.JPG

So life got in the way and it was not until last week that the watch was finally collected from my WM and I can now finally say that this journey has come to a satisfactory conclussion.....oh, yeah, I'm of course now actively looking for a second 2279 with a trashed dial so i can fit my spare...:D

151.JPG

149.JPG
Edited:

Quite incredible... Or not : OF community power :thumbsup: ?
Anyway : Congratulations ! I can't help waiting for the next episode :D:p

Incredible story that I've only just read.
I can only imagine your shock seeing that wonderful dial damaged and I am really glad that in the end everything turned out for the best.

What an incredible find ! Congratulations. :thumbsup:

So life got in the way and it was not until last week that the watch was finally collected from my WM and I can now finally say that this journey has come to a satisfactory conclussion.....oh, yeah, I'm of course now actively looking for a second 2279 with a trashed dial so i can fit my spare...:D

That seems to be the problem. The spare parts trap. This happened with the landeron 48 I am working on. The dial somehow is lost. So I found one online, but it comes with most of a watch movement. Now I need a second dial and case for the second watch ...

Similar for the Omega 351 movement. I keep looking for a 2577 case, then so are a lot of othe people.

So I started this thread in April 2021 as I'd achieved some kind of closure on my CK 2279. I was happy with the result and thought that that was that.

But, as we all know things are never quite so simple when it comes to the hobby of vintage watches and it was so when in July of 2022 I received a PM out of the blue from @toddle321 pointing me in the direction of a loose dial that he had spotted on CH24.

041.jpg

This one was incredibly a perfect match for the rare original dial that had been trashed in 2019, exactly the same even down to the Fab.Suisse text showing that it was a French market piece when first sold in the early 40's. Well obviously I had to have it but it took a while to come to agreeable terms with the seller who clearly new what he had.....Anyway sometimes it is necessary to dig deep to get the right result and I think this was no exception so by the end of September I had the dial in hand

All three together...

040.JPG

151.JPG

149.JPG

Beautiful! What a journey. Congrats!

What a journey. Great to see that dial finally cased in. Congratulations again, Chris!

041.jpg

This one was incredibly a perfect match for the rare original dial that had been trashed in 2019, exactly the same even down to the Fab.Suisse text showing that it was a French market piece when first sold in the early 40's. Well obviously I had to have it but it took a while to come to agreeable terms with the seller who clearly new what he had.....Anyway sometimes it is necessary to dig deep to get the right result and I think this was no exception so by the end of September I had the dial in hand

All three together...

040.JPG

151.JPG

149.JPG

Dibs ;)

Absolutely bloody fabulous...congrats (and champers) are in order :thumbsup:
Edited:

Great story. Still shocked at what happened to dial 1….