Forums Latest Members
  1. andykllhr Oct 11, 2019

Morning Guys, I managed to get a 2254.50 on eBay for £1799, which a bit more than I'd like to have paid but was made in a salient month and year for me, so went for it. The problem is that it was in dire need of service, losing anywhere from 17 to 25 seconds p/d, dial looking a bit worn and the seconds hand tip was white, there's also a barely visible chip to the edge of the sapphire.
    I contacted a few independent service centres, but prices varied wildly and so did the timeframes, even sent it off to Luxury Watch Repairs, who's site stated servicing from £269 for the 2254.50 and then sent me an invoice for £489, for a service WITHOUT new sapphire or dial, so I demanded the watch back immediately and will never ever consider using them again.
    So, I have lamented and sent it to Omega UK in Southampton and have been quoted £430 with 2 year warranty, which I'm happy with, but, as it needs a sapphire replacement that I assume is an additional component out of the traditional service, does anyone know how much Omega UK charge for a new sapphire?

2. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Oct 11, 2019

You are already in contact with Omega UK.- why not ask them directly?

Archer likes this.
  3. andykllhr Oct 11, 2019

I have, just wondering what the customer experiences were.

4. gpssti4 Oct 13, 2019

I’ve used Robert Reeves in St Austell, Cornwall with good success. He is an Omega accredited watchsmith so should be able to help you. The last time he had my 2254 in he rebrushed the bracelet and changed the crown and tube.

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 13, 2019

Without meaning to sound depressing, you vastly overpaid for that if it needs as much work as you suggest. £2k buys a perfect serviced 2254 but a crystal is like ~£150, the dial could be ~£200. Is there any way at all you can unwind the buy with a SNAD eBay claim? Did the seller disclose the crystal or dial issues? To service and make that watch perfect at Omega could cost £750+ If you can live with the existing dial, an independent might be able to do the rest for ~£400 but it’s still not exactly a cheap option.

Edited Oct 13, 2019
    COYI likes this.
  6. jcmartinez98 Oct 13, 2019

2C3C0E3D-1F10-4BAB-942D-DF0F5A12E55C.jpeg If you are at all able to, just pay for the entire servicing, and enjoy wonderful years with a beautifully serviced watch that will be returned to you in essentially brand new condition.

This is mine the day I got it back from omega after a full service.

Greg Bell and andykllhr like this.
  7. andykllhr Oct 13, 2019

You're right, but as I said, the date was very meaningful to me so was happy to pay, for the price I got box, papers and all the spare links. The crystal and dial doesn't necessarily need doing, I just wanted a quote to how much extra it would cost, even without, £2230 for a minty 2254.50 with 2 year omega warranty isn't bad in my honest opinion. It does amuse me that you always get negativity in a thread like this though lol.

VaNiDgE likes this.
  8. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 13, 2019

I didn't pick up on the fact the month and year it was sold was of such importance to you so in that case if you are happy to pay a premium for that date then all is well, particularly if it is a keeper since then resale is of less importance. I don't think it's negativity to point out that the premium you are paying for that specific date of sale may be over £500, its a fact. Would it be more positive to ignore this inconvenient fact? Hope it works out for you.

9. andykllhr Oct 13, 2019

£500? Methinks not, I did do some checking around, case in point: https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/search?q="Omega Seamaster 300m 2254.50.00"
    I've used watchfinder for a lot of purchases, you do pay a little more but they are very good, only 2254.50 they've got with box and papers is £2750, so I don't feel so bad really.

10. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 13, 2019

If you are price comping against WF then I guess you can justify it even with the repairs. Against that faintly ridiculous £2,750, with what you paid you can afford to service it and change the dial, crystal and bezel and still be ahead. It's just that they usually sell in the real world for a hell of a lot less even when perfect and serviced. A quick look at Ebay sold listings, Watchrecon and our sales listings confirms this. If you are happy, what do you care what I think though. I happen to have a few SMPs in my collection currently so would be happy to see them jump massively in price, but I would say they are currently fully valued at around the £2K mark.

andykllhr likes this.
  11. andykllhr Oct 13, 2019

Fair enough mate, the way I see it, I may well have paid £200-£230 more for the significant date, which I'm fine with, it's getting handed down to my son with the back story that the date comes with

Greg Bell, VaNiDgE and padders like this.