Forums Latest Members

2022 Speedmaster '57, or 2021 Professional?

1. rsk55 Jul 24, 2022

Hi, new poster and new to Omega.
    I'm looking for any tips on making a decision between the '22 Speedmaster '57 with the 9906 movement, and the 2021 3861 Moonwatch. The '57 seems to have a smaller case diameter than the Moonwatch, but with wider lugs. I'd prefer to go with the s/s bracelets than a strap on either. My wrist is 7.25" (10.8mm) so I'm not sure how big this will look, as I don't like my watches too big.
    Is there much to choose between the movements? Both are co-axial movements, I believe, but the 9906 has a column wheel - not sure about the 3861. Would these two have comparable reliability, cost of servicing etc.? Any thoughts on how they would hold their value?

2. Donn Chambers Jul 24, 2022

It really comes down to what you want from your Speedmaster. Cost of servicing the movements by Omega will be identical — they charge the same fee on any chronograph movement. There’s no reason at the moment to think one will be better than the other in terms of reliability or accuracy since both are METAS. Either should fit your wrist fine.

The questions you have to answer are:

1. Do you want the classic Speedmaster design? If so, then the Speedmaster Pro is the only option.
    2. Is a date function important to you? If so, the Speedmaster 57 is the only option.
    3. Do you move between time zones regularly? The Speedmaster 57 has a quickset hour hand that will jump in 1-hour increments without hacking, so could be useful.
    4. Are you happy with only a black dial, or do you want something a little more colorful. The 57 comes in blue, green, and red.

and finally

5. Are you comfortable paying $2k+ more for the Speedmaster 57 over the Speedy Pro. That might be the most important of all.

3. rsk55 Jul 24, 2022

Thanks Donn, that sums it up pretty well I think.
    Any thoughts on residual value in the future? It's not really relevant to which I prefer, as I wear my watches rather than keep them pristine - but the '57 seems to produce more mixed feelings than the Pro from those in the know.

4. Donn Chambers Jul 24, 2022

I’m not the person to ask about residual value — I’ve sold every watch for a loss except a quartz Tissot. The only reason I made any money on that is that the first buyer in England refused to accept it because of customs fees and then never responded to my offers for a refund. So I got to sell it twice!

stevec14, scapa and Doc Olives like this.
  5. Alex_TA Jul 25, 2022

Manual or automatic? Will you get tired of winding up Pro every morning?
    Do you measure long periods of time? If yes, '57 is more convenient.
    Residual value... funny. Pro is easier to sell, but the price difference is negligible. Because the initial price of '57 is higher you will lose more if you'll sell it. But it's a big boy's toy, why bother?

6. rsk55 Jul 25, 2022

Manual, for various reasons I'm not keen on automatics. I think the power reserve of the 57 is slightly better.
    I'm actually leaning slightly towards the 57. I do like to have the date, but it's not crucial. I'm attracted to the metal-finish bezel, and like the 9906 movement's column wheel and vertical clutch...

I take your point about size, gender and purpose, though - why bother, indeed?

7. Alex_TA Jul 25, 2022

Column wheel and vertical clutch do not matter for accuracy and durability. The only advantage is that it
    theoretically allows you to кееp the chronograph running constantly.

8. YY77 Jul 25, 2022

The new '57 also has a manual wind movement.

9. Alex_TA Jul 25, 2022

Oops.

10. rsk55 Jul 25, 2022

I've paid a visit to my local dealer, who has the sapphire Moonwatch 3861 in stock - very nice indeed. He's managed to arrange for the only blue '57 currently available in the UK to be sent to him for me to see this week. We'll see!

11. starbot1 Jul 25, 2022

Could use some photos. Now would you get the blue or the black? I may be biased, but I love the black 57. There will always be the moonwatch...

upload_2022-7-25_14-7-11.png omega-speedmaster-speedmaster-57.jpg

oneover and Doc Olives like this.
  12. rsk55 Jul 25, 2022

I thought about the black, but not too keen on the 'sandblast' face or the brown 'sandwich' baton look. The one that's coming to look at is blue, which would be my choice anyway. Each to his own, obviously...

I would say that I'm very impressed with the new Pro. The recessed dial is really nice, and the retro hand detail also looks great. It could be a close call.

13. rsk55 Jul 29, 2022

I am now the proud owner of a moonwatch.
    The new 57 is a striking and beautiful watch, but after an hour of trying to decide I finally concluded that it's the watch that needs to decide, in my opinion. I'm just not sure what the 57 is trying to be. Ultimately it looks more like a dress watch to me, whereas the Pro looks and feels much more functional.
    On paper, the 57 is actually a tad smaller than the Pro. On your wrist, it definitely doesn't feel it. It feels bigger in all dimensions which is really weird. I blame it on the lugs, which are huge and reach pretty much right across my wrist. One or two other niggles: the tachymeter around the bezel is completely unreadable. I had to get it at a certain angle with the light shining in a particular position to see that there was anything written on it at all - it just looks like a steel bezel. The dial is nice, but the blue is a little 'cold' - maybe a different colour option would help here. It just didn't feel like an everyday watch to me, whereas the moonwatch does - it just feels smaller, cleaner and more comfortable. Both were on bracelets, I should say. I suppose the moonwatch also has that timeless feel to it. I would have liked a date, perhaps, but trad look of the moonwatch won me over. The 57 just feels to me like it's trying to be two things at once - on balance, I'd say the bezel was the killer.
    Thanks for the input, all.

14. Irishrover Jul 29, 2022

I have had my eye on a 57 for a while now and looking for a nice used example. That's what brought me to this forum first off..,, then I got my teeth into a Pro.
    I am definitely leaning towards the vintage watches more now as I'm getting bored with the Sports Rolex fad and the BS attached with trying to buy from an AD.

15. rsk55 Jul 29, 2022

I didn't look at the older 57, just the new one with the 9906 movement - and you won't find a used 'new' one, I tried the first one my main dealer had seen and he had to get that from Glasgow!

16. Irishrover Jul 30, 2022

I'm based in Holland at the minute and I find it's easier to find watches in the UK market than over here.

17. rsk55 Jul 30, 2022

I have to say that the promo photo of the 57 Starbot1 posted is downright misleading, unless the black is different from the blue. The bezel on the watch I tried has no lettering picked out in black. Unless you really struggle to find it, the bezel doesn't appear to have any markings on it at all, which leaves it looking like a pointless wide bare metal band around the crystal.
    The lugs are way too big as well, though.

18. 7enderbender Aug 4, 2022

For me it would be a Speedmaster Pro. There are enough variations of those to make that a difficult decision by itself. I fall into the hesalite camp and preferred the 1861 over the 3861, but that’s a different story.
    The 57 for me is something for people who already have other Speedies. The date on it makes no sense in my view. For the older “pre moon” type design with broad arrow hands I’d go with a FOIS.