Forums Latest Members
  1. Zapatta Dec 29, 2020

Edited Dec 29, 2020
    DaveK likes this.
  2. cvalue13 Dec 29, 2020

So very sorry to hear of this, and to see these photos is jarring; hope that you and yours are all well, all things considered

Stewart A, 8100_RPM, airansun and 7 others like this.
  3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 29, 2020

Zapatta and Aquariusmatic like this.
  4. MRC Dec 29, 2020

I hope you and yours are all OK!

5. LesXL Dec 29, 2020

I read about this earlier on today... It is shitty! Hope you, your family and friends are well and safe.
    Courage

6. Aquariusmatic Dec 29, 2020

Man I'm on the 9th floor was quite a ride... Folks can't calm down, mom had a panic attack... There were other quakes after the 6.3 one, a friend that lives near the epicenter fears whole hamlets and small villages could be lost to the quake and the relief services just not focusing on them due to the carnage in Petrinja.

7 dead so far and more feared dead or missing... No sleep this night

DaveK, LesXL and Zapatta like this.
  7. Zapatta Dec 29, 2020

Thanks for support guys!
    We are all ok and so is everybody I know.

If the epicenter had been closer to the capital, as in March, the deaths would be counted in the hundreds of thousands. :unsure:

This was in March and earthquake was 30x weaker than this one.

88f303ae29c01f1e3468.jpeg Zagreb potres velika.jpg PXL_220320_28505300-800x500.jpg
    airansun likes this.
  8. LesXL Dec 29, 2020

Horrible! And at the worse time too with Covid... Not that there is a good time, hope for the best!

Rudi99, Zapatta, DaveK and 1 other person like this.
  9. Muttley Dec 29, 2020

Very sorry to hear about this. Those pics brought back some bad memories, having experienced two major quakes here (6.3, 7.1) that took lives and destroyed buildings in the city and homes in the suburbs. I don't think a lot of people realise that once you get past the quakes, it's the literally thousands of aftershocks, some large, some minor, that play absolute hell with your nerves as you think "is this another big one...?"
    I hope you and your family are all safe.

Pazzo and Zapatta like this.
  10. magomed Dec 29, 2020

I have some family members living in Zagreb, scared to sleep at night. Even my aunt from Slovenia felt the earth shaking. Scary times...hope you and your family are well and safe.

Zapatta likes this.
  11. Zapatta Dec 29, 2020

Just few minutes ago there was another one and few hours ago 3.9.
    Like you said, aftershocks are scary because you think here comes a big one. Aghh its mind fucking!

Muttley and Pazzo like this.
  12. Zapatta Dec 29, 2020

Friends from Serbia, Slovenia, Montenegro, Hungary and Czech Republic said they felt it also. :(

13. platogsd Dec 29, 2020

Wow! So glad you are okay! This is just the absolute worst year.

Zapatta likes this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 29, 2020

So sorry that happened.

It’s amazing that in CA where we have strict (and expensive) building codes a 6.3 barely makes the news here as there is no damage. We’ve had a few mid high 7’s in CA over the past few years and no deaths no buildings falling. Luckily they tend to be 50 miles away from anything when they do happen.

6’s happen in populated areas but rarely anything but minor damage.

Aquariusmatic likes this.
  15. Aquariusmatic Dec 29, 2020

Well to reply to the above. Most of the buildings in Petrinja are older than California, most of them built during the Austro-Hungarian period, ransacked by 3 armies in two world wars and our War of Independence.

I am somewhat familiar with basic US residential building codes and find the idea behind some reasoning fascinating and purposeful at the same time terrifying as most family homes in your area would not survive one bad "Bura" wind season.
    The area hit was not seismically active in the last 100 years so the build techniques did not have to account for that, only for the usual ottoman or axis etc. threat. I guess each country and region builds with its average and usual environmental threats in mind. For that location usually being invading or withdrawing armies unfortunately.

Epicentre was almost in the residential area and the followup quakes are moving in line of a faultline thought to be inactive for almost a century.

I'd like to thank all of members expressing support and the shown sympathy towards our people.

SpeedyPhill, Zapatta and Foo2rama like this.
  16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 29, 2020

100% agree. Have you looked at CA’s vs the rest of the US? We are a bit stricter here. I am also fully aware that you have buildings older then the state. As you Europeans say, the US has no history.

17. Aquariusmatic Dec 29, 2020

Please don't take that as a dig towards the USA - I very much adore the states and didn't write the above with that in mind... There are(were) homes built and documented in Petrinja dating all the way back to 1760s still used till today... A disaster was bound to happen eventually but the lack of funds and the turn of historic events for that region didn t allow for improvements for the better part of 19th and 20th century...

Zapatta, Pazzo and Walrus like this.
  18. wagudc Dec 29, 2020

I live in one of the most seismically active areas in the world near a a triple junction of tectonic plates. Luckily we have few large buildings, and the building codes on new ones are pretty strict. I have experienced a 6.9 and it was quite scary. I pray for the safety of you and your neighbors. A geologist a the university where I work is an expert in earthquake safety. She says the best is to drop to the ground and get underneath the nearest sturdy piece of furniture. Even if the building collapses, a desk or table can create an air space for you to survive in. Here is the drill:

upload_2020-12-29_17-46-8.png

Getting in a doorway is wrong, and leaves you exposed. If there is no furniture on the ground near a wall is better than a doorway. Running out of a building is a very bad idea, you can get hit by falling bricks or parts of the building.

Eve, Zapatta and Muttley like this.
  19. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 29, 2020

Ugh, sorry to continue the derail of this thread, but I have to respond to this post. There is a pretty extensive seismic code in the US. The requirements largely depend on which seismic zone you are in. Of course this all applies to places built after the codes were developed, and gov't / critical facilities that have been retrofitted.

The codes took a big step forward after the double-decker bridge in CA pancaked a few decades ago... States with the more critical seismic zones require the structural engineers to pass seismic analysis/ design exams.

Foo2rama likes this.
  20. wagudc Dec 29, 2020

In 2011 I visited the the site of the 2008 Sichuan, China earthquake. It was a magnitude 8.0, and these older buildings could not stand it. Being there affected me greatly, and I feel sick thinking of it today. Your photos remind me of the destruction I saw there. I truly hope that your pictures make it look worse than reality. I pray for minimal loss of life and injuries.

Stay strong my friends.
    upload_2020-12-29_18-4-42.png

Here are the photos I took of the Sichuan memorial.

IMG_1325.JPG IMG_1328.JPG IMG_1330.JPG