Forums Latest Members

**** 2016 Thanksgiving Photo Contest - Fabulous Prizes!! ****

1. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 5, 2016

Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and here in the Darlinboy household we have much to be thankful for indeed!

For me, one of those things is the opportunity to participate here on Omega Forums - so let me first give a huge THANK YOU to the owners and moderators who have made it so.

https://omegaforums.net/members/?type=staff

So... without further delay... let's get this contest started! ::psy::

The rules..

1. Photos must be taken by OF members or immediate family only (honor system applies - most of you can be trusted - if you're not sure I'm talking about you, you're probably right. No entries from my prior contests are allowed - I want to see FRESH PHOTOS!

2. Extra credit for photos that have Thanksgiving (or just giving thanks) theme. So, a Thanksgiving/giving thanks theme is not required, but an excellent themed photo will trump one of equal quality without.

3. Photos must include at least one timepiece, prominently featured. Don't make us search for the watch! And while narrative explaining your pictures is welcomed, only the photos will be reviewed by the judging panel.

4. Limit of two (2) entries per member, so make sure they're your two very best! You're welcome to edit your initial entries with a better photo, only the last two will be judged.

5. Photos must be family-friendly, as judging will be done by the Darlinboy family - Mrs. Darlinboy, me, and our two teenage sons - the three people I am most thankful to have in my life ::love:: - who have once again graciously agreed to "waste a good chunk of time" indulging this periodic whim of mine.

6. All entries must be POSTED TO THIS THREAD by Wednesday, November 23rd, at 11:59pm Eastern Standard time.

Technique and photography skills won't hurt, but in the end, winners will be selected purely & solely on our personal preferences and the decision of the judges is final. If you don't like the rules, well ....

IMG_4976.JPG

Prizes to be awarded are pictured below - a 1950's Zodiac Autographic, with a lovely warm golden patina and period box, last serviced in 2014. Several Omega dealer display plaques & Rolex Bucherer souvenir spoons, a luxury leather watch travel pouch (with a mystery watch inside!), and an Omega service case. Prizes will be selected by the winners in order of finish and shipped out when I get around to it.

Let's see your best photos!

IMG_5119.JPG
    IMG_5076.JPG
    IMG_5120.JPG IMG_5077.JPG IMG_5080.JPG

Previous winners can be found at the links below:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/2016-summer-photo-contest-winners-announced.40890/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/2015-holiday-photo-contest-winners-announced.33163/

Edited Nov 7, 2016
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 5, 2016

If I only knew when we had Thanksgiving...last month...

tapaptpat, ahartfie and Jonatan like this.
  3. mattonthewater Nov 5, 2016

Taken by my wife, my marvel of a niece who is truly a miracle child, and we are all graced by this little one's presence. I was trying to hold back tears as this was the first time I held her.

[​IMG]

Taken by me, our rescue kitten "Puddles". My brother (who's daughter is pictured above) and I saved her from almost drowning down in a storm drain during a hurricane not long ago. We were helping some neighbors and heard meows of terror. I crawled myself down into the drain and came up with her. She was barely the size of my palm at the time, we had to bottle feed her for weeks. She likes Omega's, and we are very thankful to have her in our lives.

[​IMG]

Thanks to the staff and members of OF, this is quickly becoming my "home" online.

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 5, 2016

IMG_5928.JPG

5. ulackfocus Nov 5, 2016

Dude, babies and kitties? All you needed was a puppy to hit the trifecta of heart-string tugging.

Cheater! :p

6. mattonthewater Nov 5, 2016

Per the rules I could only post two pics.... hehe. Just posting the new things i'm thankful for!

tapaptpat likes this.
  7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 5, 2016

I'll participate without the almost trusty Beagles.

Genuinely every day I am thankful for the forty one years since this girl came in to my life. A medal would not be enough for her having put up with me for all that time. If she ever sees this post it may be the straw that breaks the camels back :(

A watch is visible but what, perhaps an Ebel ?

DSC00058_edited.JPG

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 5, 2016

Isn't she a little young :cautious:, what was she like 10?, and you were 25, :whipped:

9. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 5, 2016

You smooth talker you :D

Just maybe she might like this thread :unsure:

tapaptpat and red crowned like this.
  10. Andreas Nov 6, 2016

turkey is done...

2016-11-06 02.48.22 1.jpg
  11. dialstatic Nov 7, 2016

Not being from the USA, everything I know about Thanksgiving comes from movies and TV shows. From these, it appears to be an incredibly stressfull holiday, during which family tensions escalate. In my first entry, these tensions led to a Thanksgiving tragedy on the kitchen floor ::stirthepot::

thankscoving_contest_mondaine_blue.png

I know, I should probably stop watching Dexter and CSI...I'll make sure my second entry is less dark ;-)

[EDIT] It's been brought to my attention that some of our members have issues with graphic displays of blood. I've now edited the image in photoshop to make the fake blood appear blue. I hope this is an acceptable solution. I apologize to anyone who took offense.

Edited Nov 7, 2016
    Lukeeesteve, Deafboy, lando and 11 others like this.
  12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 7, 2016

That is just Hollywood BS drama. Just like anything else, for most it is a long weekend off, great food, shopping and family and blessings.
    [​IMG]

13. dialstatic Nov 7, 2016

Hmm, I could've sworn I cropped that image tighter :thumbsdown:

Edited Nov 7, 2016
    tapaptpat and Darlinboy like this.
  14. w154 Nov 7, 2016

I count 7 plates and 14 people.

You must have two sittings, but how do you decide who gets cold turkey ?

tapaptpat likes this.
  15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 7, 2016

In the US we have a tradition for this that is called the "children's table"
    [​IMG]

Everyone gets hot turkey. :)

16. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Nov 7, 2016

The Thanksgiving meal is also sometimes days of preparation that's over and done with in anywhere from half an hour to an hour, but it's always worth it. This was my plate last year. I did the turkey, stuffing, and green bean casserole; my sister did the potatoes, gravy, and other stuff I didn't eat like corn, glazed carrots, and rolls. My favorite part is the gravy, and my least favorite part is ironing my linen tablecloth that's too big for my table but is an essential part of the meal.

IMG_9959.JPG

tapaptpat, noelekal, JimInOz and 2 others like this.
  17. GBTRIUMPH Nov 7, 2016

Typically, there is a "grown up" table and a "kids" table. the number of sittings depends not on the people count, but the number of halftimes.

tapaptpat and noelekal like this.
  18. HogWldFLTR Nov 10, 2016

It is a wonderful gift to the forum community. Thanks you so much. I am a bit befuddled by the timing of things, how ever. Where I live it is Eastern daylight savings time. Since the clocks fell back one hour, does this mean the submissions actually need to be in by 10:59pm DST on the 23rd or by 12:59am DST on the 24th? Please clarify.

Never mind; since we spring ahead to get to DST they should be sent in by 12:59am on the 24th.

Thanks again!!!!

Edited Nov 10, 2016
  19. daddykc Nov 11, 2016

Here is my 1st entry: mid century girl dinner time[​IMG]

And my 2nd: It's cooking time!
    [​IMG]

20. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 11, 2016

Am I the only one who senses a need for a gmt watch in your life?