Forums Latest Members

2012 London Olympics Seamaster on Jomashop

1. Annapolis Jun 16, 2020

Joma has a good reputation, and I suspect my concerns are invalid, but I'm looking at this listing and feeling a little jittery about the fact that some information is missing (?) from the back of the watch: namely, the water resistance, the watch issue number (within the LE series--xxxx/1948), and the serial #, though I'd expect they might blur that out of the picture.

Below I'll post the official Omega site picture first, then the Joma listing for comparison.

Anyone else have thoughts about this? I have reached out Joma directly too...

Obviously I'm not going to drop 4k on a watch if I have concerns like this at the outset, but I'm second-guessing my second-guessing, given the site's excellent reputation.

omega.png joma.jpg
  2. Annapolis Jun 16, 2020

And here, as another ref, is an example for sale at Chrono24 (that I'm assuming is legit but is more expensive) that shows where the serial should be.

Chrono.jpg
  3. NikolShep Jun 16, 2020

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  4. Annapolis Jun 16, 2020

That’s a possibility for sure, though I wonder, then, that the little planet/Omega symbol remains legible. I’m feeling somewhat assured after scouring the internet for allegations that Joma sold someone a fake/replica and coming up emptyhanded. They seem like a fairly safe bet. Ok also wondering, though, whether they actually still have this watch in inventory.

5. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 16, 2020

I think the info you are looking for has been edited out. It’s typical for private sellers to edit out info by just using the tools they have on their phone (drawn in squiggles) but a company like Jomashop have their own photography team and listing editors. As having had a editing position like that for a bicycle manufacturer, the editors have resources like photoshop. I’m attaching two images that might be hard to see at quick glances, but for someone that has stared at stuff like this for hours on end, it’s easier to see. Inside the red circles I’m pointing out areas of extended coloring. Where someone with a “blend tool” would have dragged over similar colors from a nearby location to hide other information. At a quick glance it looks normal but if you stare at it, it looks as if the color doesn’t fully belong. Meaning it looks smudged over and not 100% blended in with the surroundings. Which, is typical for a company that requires quick turn around a from taking pictures to listing. If it looks good at quick glances then it passes. I hope this makes sense. Though, to ease your concerns about the hidden info and if it’s still in stock, I would just call them.
    A364471E-131F-4AEE-8F58-652640329B10.jpeg
    0C67DDD4-56E4-4443-9906-55BCD3A5D334.jpeg

6. Annapolis Jun 16, 2020

Well spotted—I hadn’t noticed that difference in shading there.

7. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 16, 2020

Yeah, that’s the hope haha. It seems counterintuitive, especially for this hobby, but not all companies expect costumers to heavily scrutinize the images. It’s weird that the water resistance was edited out, but we have to remember that the editor is likely not a watch collector. They might be following a script of certain details to always edit out- like serial number and limited edition numbers. I’m guessing since the WR was worded similarly to the edition number using a “/“ to separate numbers, they erred on the safe side to edit it all out.

Annapolis likes this.
  8. NikolShep Jun 16, 2020

Let us know what they say and if you decide to pull the trigger. The price tag is ok, but for similar amount of money you can probably get Seamaster 1948, 70th anniversary. I think there is currently one on sale here on OF/Watches for Sale or Private Sales, albeit with central sec. hand and not a subdial.

Annapolis likes this.
  9. Annapolis Jun 16, 2020

Is there? I looked earlier and didn’t see one for sale here. Did I miss something?

10. Annapolis Jun 16, 2020

My impression is that the London 2012 watches typically get offered for 4-6k (not that they necessarily sell at those prices) while the 1948s can list up into the 7s. Given the choice I’d definitely prefer the newer tech of the 1948, but I’m not looking to spend that much.

11. NikolShep Jun 17, 2020

12. Annapolis Jun 17, 2020

Ah yes---sold, alas. I did see that listing, and it was a damn good price for that watch, which I tend to see listed for 50% more, though I can't tell how often people are realizing those prices. I'm after a gift here, and looking for any of the three (non platinum) reissue models, subseconds or no. (I personally prefer the subseconds on this design.) They're such gorgeous watches, and the appeal of classic/retro Seamaster design elements with up-to-date calibers is really strong: given the choice, naturally, I'd go for the half-decade-newer 1948 LE series, with its clear caseback/8804, over the London Olympics (with the 2202 movement hidden by an 18k gold medallion---still superb!) but the price disparity matters. The Joma listing seems quite reasonably priced.

I did speak with them and the rep confirmed that all the markings are there as proper, and had been obscured by their photographer. That said, he didn't rifle through the physical inventory to check anything---it was merely instant, general-application reassurance. He also confirmed that the watch is indeed still available. (There are stories online of folks ordering watches at Joma only to learn a day or two later that the watch was not actually in stock anymore.)

I might bump my WTB listing and see if anything here materializes---I'd much rather buy from an OF member who can supply more/better (less Photoshoppy) pictures. But if the Joma one lasts, I might get tempted...

NikolShep likes this.
  13. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 17, 2020

I saw your WTB and that person is insanely lucky haha. Good luck with the purchase! I have heard the Joma story of buying a watch for it not to be in stock days later but that was all several years ago. Maybe more recent examples have happened since I last looked it up? I have bought from them several times and have received every order. It makes sense the rep you spoke to didn’t physically look at the watch. Joma has their own in house small call center but they wouldn’t be near the thousands of watches or the thousands of other inventory they have. At least they verified what I said :) haha

Annapolis likes this.
  14. Annapolis Jun 17, 2020

Case-in-point re: the 1948s, this listing just popped up in my regional CL:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/jwl/d/arlington-omega-seamaster-1948-limited/7142574400.html

Looks like a great watch (will paste one of the lister's less-than-amazing pics below), purportedly only worn three times, full kit, and it's local, which is a real draw as I could inspect it before buying. (Carrying big wads of cash to meet an unknown seller is always a little sketchy, but I'm probably not a person likely to get mugged.) But firm at $6,300. That's probably fmv, but when I think about what else one could get for that in the watch world (or just in the Omega world), it seems out of its league to me. I don't claim to know anything about how pricing gets determined, though (he said, obviously) the price is part of the scarcity/exclusivity marketing---and it is a limited piece which counts for something. Anyway, if this is happening, it'll likely be the London watch, which has the prettier dial anyway, imo, even if it's not a master chrono and lacks the obverse window.

CL.jpg
    NikolShep likes this.
  15. Omega-Q Jun 19, 2020

Hi, this is actually my watch. It is perhaps priced a bit high, but I also know how craigslist works for negotiating....:)

16. Annapolis Jun 19, 2020

Oh hey. Sorry I dissed your photo! Just slightly fuzzy. But the others are good! :)

Knowing it’s owned by a forum member adds significant value in my view, but I’m pretty sure you’d be downright insulted by what I’d be able to offer. (Probably 30% less than you’d be willing to accept, and definitely less than it’s worth.) GLWS!

Browsing these reissues for a gift, they’re getting under my skin in a bad way. They’re amazing looking watches.

17. Omega-Q Jun 19, 2020

No offense taken. I know this forum! :) I should probably take better photos...it's hard to take good photos of a watch without a macro lens (which I don't have, just my iPhone. But yeah...the price was put there when compared to what is available on Chrono24. I get so many fraud contacts on CL though.

Annapolis likes this.
  18. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 19, 2020

Don’t let the is iPhone slow you down. It’s all I have
    BC22DAA9-A7BC-463B-941F-96A5FC4EBAF4.jpeg
    939D2D30-148A-4C45-9FB8-1259B45F83FF.jpeg
    7A3FAED2-CED2-42BB-81B0-AAC28F2A109A.jpeg

Annapolis likes this.
  19. ConElPueblo Jun 20, 2020

I don't know your watch history or your preference for vintage/new watches, but have you considered a 36.5mm jumbo Seamaster from the fifties instead? In pristine condition it shouldn't cost more than $1,500 and they are extremely wearable. I've had four or five of them and my gold capped 1953 version is one of my keepers.

Wetworks likes this.
  20. Annapolis Jun 20, 2020

That’s a great thought, if I end up wanting something like this for myself. More within budget for me, and I find that that size is the sweet spot for me. My 36mm AT 2504.30 fits me just perfectly.