Forums Latest Members
  1. dougwhiz Jan 31, 2021

I realized recently that I never did a proper new member introduction and since it's been just over 2 years and 200 posts, I'll do a brief one now.

I'm in my late 50s, and grew up in the 1960s/70s in Detroit. I always loved gadgets and the idea of a stopwatch you could wear. My dad's friend was a Seiko fan and always wore a Seiko chronograph when he visited, which I fell in love with. Eventually one of his Seiko flybacks made its way to my Dad, but I was a little young for it. Instead I got to wear a Cimier slide rule "chrono" in 2nd grade and couldn't be happier. I finally got to wear the Seiko later on through college. After that I started wearing various quartz watches, Swatch chronographs, but stopped wearing a watch altogether due to my job working with electronics.

Fast forward to about 2015, I'm now in the Chicago area, and have rekindled my interest in watches. I started with a Luminox diver, a Seiko quartz chrono, then the SKX007 reintroduced me to affordable mechanical watches. I always hoped I could one day afford an Omega, since I had always been a fan, though more for their Olympic timing history than James Bond. I came across the affordable, early Omega Dynamics on Ebay, and while researching them, found Omega Forums. My first Omega was a matte white dialed Dynamic with orange second hand. I've bought and sold a few Dynamics now, but due to this amazing forum, I've also been exposed to tons of Seamasters, Constellations, Speedmasters, Apneas, Rancheros, Railmasters, DeVilles, and more. The Dynamic was like a gateway drug, and now I'm truly hooked. Not to mention, discovering Universal Geneve through the Forum.

Here's just a sampling topics I've run across on OF in the past 2 years that I had never heard of before: unpolished vintage watches, avoiding redials, avoiding Frankens, vegamite, Ebay scams, magnetized movements, finding a competent watchmaker, radium dials, old and new Omega models I never knew existed, helium release valves, monocoque cases. And quite a few new abbreviations like BOR, DON, PLOPROF, DSOTM, CHF, LMVH, NOS, BNIB and TLDR. I'm in awe of the amount of information compiled here!

Research is one thing, but I also love the photos. And the varied conversations and humor have kept me checking in regularly, even before the pandemic.

So a sincere thanks to the creators and mods, and to all the contributors. I wish I had found it sooner!

Here are the watches that started it all:

IMG_1766.jpg IMG_0972.jpg IMG_1521.jpg

apsm100, Alfista88, Foo2rama and 39 others like this.
  2. JwRosenthal Jan 31, 2021

Welcome- and hello again, and hey- it’s you.

And what’s- up Doug.

thelinendial likes this.
  3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 31, 2021

It would be fun if there was a quiz when we joined OF that would take measure of all (or in my case none) of the watch knowledge, abbreviations and even why we shouldn’t buy a watch from Iceland. It would be interesting to see how much we have changed every year

4. LuckyLes Jan 31, 2021

Hi,
    A great introduction. I'll have to do something similar myself soon.
    Les

5. thelinendial Jan 31, 2021

Hello and enjoyed hearing about your watch story.

6. sonc Feb 1, 2021

It's never too late for a proper introduction. Welcome ;)

time flies likes this.
  7. wagudc Feb 1, 2021

Nice introduction. This thread made me realize that you, @DaveK, @JwRosenthal, @phamti, and me all signed up around the same time. My story has been told elsewhere, but quartz was king when I was young. My dad had a pocket watch and Speedmaster that sat in his dresser drawer. Both were an inspiration for me, but especially the pocket watch. As a teenager I went through a pocket watch phase, I had a cheapo Soviet watch my dad picked up somewhere.

8. Jantar Feb 1, 2021

Dibs on that Dynamic. Suddenly these have become really appealing to me.

Tako Yaki likes this.
  9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 1, 2021

Thanks for the background! I was born in Detroit, and grew up in Evanston.

10. 105012 Feb 1, 2021

So many cool watches from the 70's, lovely Dynamic! Thanks for the intro (maybe I should feel the guilt :)).

11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 11, 2021

Nice introduction and that Dynamic is spectacular :thumbsup:
    Good way to start.

DaveK likes this.
  12. rbob99 Feb 11, 2021

Love that Dynamic!