Forums Latest Members
  1. punchdrunkcola Jun 6, 2020

i have a question on omega speedmaster reduced. is it always best to go for the older year? 1993 vs 1998? both are in prestine condition but 1993 has yellow lume plots and with papers and the 1998 doest have papers but is newer in year model and has the modern look. which one will you go for. I would appreciate everyones opinion :) thank you!

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 6, 2020

I wouldn’t buy a reduced. I would go the manual Moonwatch.

Many start with the reduced then realise they really wanted the real deal.

The reduced has a modular movement, which gets swapped out at service with a reconditioned one.

They are cheaper
    They are automatic
    They are good for smaller wrist folk
    Good for some but not for me.

Uniqez and apsm100 like this.
  3. apsm100 applysome! Jun 6, 2020

I had a 95' speedy reduced. Its nice enough and if I had to pick I would chose the 93' in your case, as 93-98 really isn't much of a difference (I believe the later models have a more cost cut movement though).
    What are the prices?

4. wristwretch Jun 6, 2020

If you are considering a reduced, the model to go for IMO is the less common, slightly more expensive in the aftermarket Omega 3539.50. This version has 100m water resistance, sapphire crystal, improved clasp and does not feature the five minute scale numerals on the dial.For me, all of these are major pluses.

Same modular automatic chrono movement (about which there are many fish stories but I can say my experience has only been good, and I have owned two of these watches for many years). A lot of repeated “wisdom” from the forums not based on actual owner experience.

Of note, the L/R sundials are reversed on the reduced compared to the SMP, and if you look at the watch in profile you will note that he pushes and crown are not directly aligned, allowing for the DD chrono module.

I prefer the smaller size (6.25 wrist) and value the sapphire as well as the increased water resistance over the SMP, although I know many folks fetishize the exact opposite, of course! I also happen to like the polished center links on the bracelet.

Easily my favorite watch day-in, day-out in a small collection w Rolex, Zenith, and others...

looselywound likes this.
  5. Uniqez Jun 12, 2020

Plus 1 here.