1983 De Ville Service / Repair

Hope its ok to reach out here? My first post, looking for some advice on a repair.

My mother has my grandfather's 1983 De Ville quartz (195.0011 I think) locked away in a non running state.
I have little knowledge of the watch, or Omega models in general.
I understand that she took it to a regular UK high St jeweller who swapped the battery.
It ran slowly for a few days and then stopped. She returned it to them, who confirmed the battery was fine.

She does tell me that she would wear it if we could get it working.

I don't see many sold of that model, but from thoseI can see, there isn't much value in it.
So on the face of it, it looks like the price of a genuine repair/service from Omega will cost more than the value of the piece. Omega Quartz service looks to be around £450 if I am looking correctly.

So I guess I am looking for an trustworthy independent UK based repairer that could get this sentimental piece running for my mum at a price that she would deem acceptable. I am not sure how realistic that is?
Any suggestions/recommendations for a mail order repairer gratefully received.

Feel free to supply any further info on the model too, as well.

Many thanks

Stu@rt

I think that the typical approach would be to just swap in a new movement. If you want an authentic Omega movement, it might just be best to send it to Omega (if they will take it) and live with the price. I don't know your financial situation, but the watch has sentimental value, obviously.

You might be able to find someone who can swap in a cheap clone movement. Obviously you won't have much of a warranty in that case but you would probably save some money.

I think that the typical approach would be to just swap in a new movement. If you want an authentic Omega movement, it might just be best to send it to Omega (if they will take it) and live with the price. I don't know your financial situation, but the watch has sentimental value, obviously.

You might be able to find someone who can swap in a cheap clone movement. Obviously you won't have much of a warranty in that case but you would probably save some money.
Thanks Dan. Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I suspect the movement in that watch is ETA calibre 255.411. Omega uses this movement, but they have their own calibre number for it. These movements can be readily serviced by the right shop, so replacing is not necessary. As to fitting a “clone” movement to that case? IMO that would ruin the watch. The 255 series of movement are fairly slim, so a “cheap clone” movement simply will not fit! Fly in the ointment! The 255.411 is discontinued! There is an alternate ETA movement that should interchange. E63.111-25 movement should be available if you decide not to fix what you have.

I suspect the movement in that watch is ETA calibre 255.411. Omega uses this movement, but they have their own calibre number for it. These movements can be readily serviced by the right shop, so replacing is not necessary. As to fitting a “clone” movement to that case? IMO that would ruin the watch. The 255 series of movement are fairly slim, so a “cheap clone” movement simply will not fit! Fly in the ointment! The 255.411 is discontinued! There is an alternate ETA movement that should interchange. E63.111-25 movement should be available if you decide not to fix what you have.
Hey Canuck, thanks so much for that info. I have been sent a picture of the registration card which shows a movement number of 45494941. Not sure if that helps at all?

Appreciate your time.
Many thanks

I don’t have anything more to tell that will resolve your problem. The number you gave appears to be a serial number which is no help. Take it to a watchmaker for advice on servicing the movement, or replacing with the calibre I gave.

This is a very serviceable movement. For it ran, albeit slow and only a few day and having a long sleep in the drawer I asses the issue is the mechanical part that needs to be cleaned etc and that the electronics are still fine.
I’m my shop I do this on a regular basis, so not a big deal for a watchmaker. Costs are significantly under the Omega fixed price costs. If it came to my desk I would also replace the gaskets for the glass and back and probably the crown too with original omega parts, to ensure it is waterproof again too.

Ditto on the post by @RonP . The owner has been given clear guidance to the solution for the Omega. Time to stop waffling, find a watchmaker, and get it done!

It's good to learn that these quartz movements are so easily repaired. I really was not aware.

Yes, proper Swiss “old style” quartz movement constructed like a mechanical watch. So nice.
Utterly incomparable to 98% of today’s quartz movements who were built for single use, read “run till it stops and than replace and throw the old one in the garbage bin”. So sad.

This is a very serviceable movement. For it ran, albeit slow and only a few day and having a long sleep in the drawer I asses the issue is the mechanical part that needs to be cleaned etc and that the electronics are still fine.
I’m my shop I do this on a regular basis, so not a big deal for a watchmaker. Costs are significantly under the Omega fixed price costs. If it came to my desk I would also replace the gaskets for the glass and back and probably the crown too with original omega parts, to ensure it is waterproof again too.
Good to know that ! Probably we are biased by the fact that Quartz movements are second category pieces !

Great know @RonP - Thank you for the advice and taking the time to reply.

Great know @RonP - Thank you for the advice and taking the time to reply.

Hey Stu@rt, did you get it serviced in the end? I've got the exact watch and probably the exact same issue!

Any help would be appreciated,
Joe

Hi @Mozzie Thanks for your message. Unfortunately we didn't make any progress with the service, as I was looking for recommendations for a reputable UK based independent and no recommendations were forthcoming. My mother will need a lot of convincing before popping the piece in the post, so we really need to be confident before parting with it. Are you UK based?

Yeah @Stu@rt, I am UK based. Will be checking rough prices over next couple days at a few places for a quartz service. If you watch yours carefully, does the seconds hand flicker sometimes at a specific point on the dial? If it interests you, mine came with a guide to the movement (cal 1336), with instructions on setting time and using the seconds/minute increment "button", I could take pictures and post here for you/ any others who may get the watch in future.

I don't have the piece currently. My parents live some 600 miles away and as I say, mum is reluctant to let it go. But really grateful for you taking the time to post. Please keep us updated on progress. Thanks so much

Attached are the instructions for setting the time. It's 1336 movement, unsure what the non-omega name for that is!

195.0011 omega 395.0808

Thanks for taking the time to post. Please keep us updated on progress of the service / repair