Forums Latest Members

WTB 1977 birth year watch

1. Annapolis May 22, 2020

I’m open re: brand, though (no surprise) am particularly interested in Omega. Depending on what you have, I’m open re: budget too, though <1k USD is my strong preference. I’m looking for a watch to wear, not worship. If it’s something really special I might consider going up to 1800, but I’m not in the market for an $11,000 Rolex or immaculate Speedy here. :)

Doubt I need to explain this, but for most Omegas (Seamasters, etc) this would be a serial in the 40xxxx range; for Speedmasters, 35xxx or 36xxxx. I know these are always approximates (without an EOA); I’m good with that.

I’d like to leave it fairly open—sort of fishing to see what swims by. Automatic movements are more exciting (1012 and 1020 seem abundant) but I’m not closed to your 13xx quartz or F300. I prefer the look of stainless on leather to gold and bracelets, but I won’t be closed-minded. My only absolutes: I don’t like integrated bracelets, and I’m not looking for lcd.

If you have something that fits the bill, please let me know!

Thanks!

Feedback here:
    Also heaps of feedback (100% positive going back to the late 90s) on eBay; can share details over PM.

Edited May 26, 2020
    rohnin likes this.
  2. asrnj77 May 24, 2020

Speedmasters and Seamasters are likely not in that price point. The best bet is to pick up a Seiko 6139. You can even get one with your birth month if that’s what you’re looking for. Everything else will be an approximation which isn’t a huge deal but if you really want ‘77 and it turns out to be a ‘79, it kind of ruins the effect.

Annapolis likes this.
  3. Annapolis May 24, 2020

Mm, agree about Speedmasters, but I’ve seen Seamasters come and go (quartz and autos) well within that range. (There are a few currently available on eBay but nothing that catches my fancy, and I’d much rather buy here.)

Unless I’m missing something?

amiriqbal likes this.
  4. JwRosenthal May 24, 2020

‘77 is tough for Omega as those are kind of the ugly years (aside from the Speedy). I agree that standard Seamaster’s (not Pro’s) can be had under $1k, but the D cased Seamaster’s and Sparkle dials were over before ‘77 I think.
    If you can stretch to $2- 2.5k, that puts you into Rolex OPD and Airking territory for birthyear. Speedy II’s also reside around that price.

Annapolis likes this.
  5. Annapolis May 24, 2020

—Which might well be what I end up doing. But I figured I’d see if anything else interesting floats by. :)

6. JwRosenthal May 24, 2020

Best of luck- I’m sure someone here has something wonderful lurking in their watch drawer made in 1977. Perhaps something from Zenith or Movado? The Tissot Navigators were also of this time and in your price point.

7. Annapolis May 24, 2020

Thanks!

I’m aware of this gorgeous piece, currently FS, which dates not just to the year but to the month of my birth:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/seiko-6138-8020-panda-£1100.114189/#post-1513572 That feels a bit serendipitous; I’m just not sure it’s what I’m after.

I tend to prefer very simple and understated, as in the Seamaster @X350 XJR had here back in October. Wish I’d been on the hunt back then.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/nic...ck-set-date-ref-166-0163.102979/#post-1345762
    If that one comes back online, I’ll nab it for sure.

I’ll acknowledge Dan’s admonition here as an edit to avoid replying yet again. Apologies for inadvertently breaking the forum rules.

Edited May 24, 2020
    timecube and JwRosenthal like this.
  8. amcclell May 24, 2020

I would go with one of the alternate brands that still made their own movements in that period such as Certina, Zenith Mido or Eterna. The mid-70s were not great for Omega.

Annapolis and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. Dan S May 24, 2020

The panda chronograph is a nice collectible, and certainly worth considering.

10. base615 May 27, 2020

Seiko Bullhead is the way to go mate. I had my birth month bullhead (Aug ‘77 too) in great condition and bloody sold it to fund another watch. Regret it big time.

It’s a big watch but sits so well on the wrist and doesn’t wear as big as you’d think.

They’ve gone up in value a fair bit but I think you’d get one well within your budget.

This was mine:
    [​IMG]

asrnj77, JwRosenthal and amcclell like this.