Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1975 Seiko 6159-7010 hi-beat Grandfather Tuna - Serviced

1. bigsom Jan 13, 2018

I searched for a long time after reading @Robert-Jan 's article (https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-seiko-6159-7010-tuna/) until I found this piece. She has to go because I look at it in the box rather than wear it, and I want the watch to be loved on the wrist as it should be!

The Seiko 6159-7010 followed the 6159-7000 300M diver created for professional use. This watch is the very first shrouded diver in the world and the first "tuna" model Seiko made. Many have followed, but this is the original. Serial number dates the watch to April 1975 (the first year of production) and it was at this time that the 600M dial was first being used. So this is one of the earliest 600M dials you can get.

I searched for a long time to find one in this condition as it is quite a challenge to find them in untouched but excellent condition. Either the shroud is refinished and screws replaced or you have an all original piece where the shroud is worn, chipped, scratched and the screws torn up. These were used as real tool watches and almost all of them saw quite a lot of time in the field. This watch has been serviced by Adrian at Vintage Time Australia about a year ago.

This example is probably one of the best preserved unmolested grandfather tunas I have come across in my Seiko journey.

Dial: Pristine untouched dial with beautiful silvering of the text. The tritium lume plots (confirmed with a Geiger-Muller counter) are all original with beautiful orange-yellow patina.

Hands: It is common and expected that the hands patina to a subtle off white gray with the 6159-7010 and these are in lovely untouched shape. Original with care taken at service not to mark or scratch the reflective SS components.

Case: Fully titanium case in fantastic condition. All seals and gaskets replaced at service and pressure tested. Case back with beautiful Seiko wave and well defined markings. Case shround in wonderful condition with a few very subtle scratches and no chips. Excellent original titanium case screws.

Bezel: This is one of my favorite aspects of the watch. The tritium bakelite bezel is just a beautiful piece of vintage Seiko history and has tiny marks which I've accentuated in the photos. Most of the time these are really trashed and in rough shape and replaced with NOS or aftermarket parts. This one is completely original and in superb condition. 60 clicks bidirectional with excellent tight action.

Crown: Original with all teeth, sharp and without wear. Screws down smoothly and evenly with excellent thread over the tube.

Movement:
    One of the best Seiko made, the premium hi-beat automatic caliber 6159 from the legendary 61GS Grand Seiko models. Beats at 36,000 vph and serviced keeping excellent time (+1 s/day dial up). Features quick set date, hacking, and manual winding.

Strap: Currently mounted on a 22mm straposphere silicon ocean racer strap. But will come with period correct (unsure if original to watch - but could be) extra length rubber dive strap. The period correct strap is meant to be worn with a wetsuit and not suitable for desk diving.

Price: Firmly offered at 3500 USD shipped in the USA with USPS Priority fully insured. I think this price reflects the not only the condition and originality of this piece, but also the service from one of the best vintage Seiko watchmakers out there. I'm also open to upward trades.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bigsom Jan 16, 2018

Thanks to everyone who sent offers, the watches I'm looking to trade up for (though open to most anything between 37 and 43mm):

Ck2998 reissue
    Panda speedmaster or other chronographs
    Tritium dial rolex sport models (ie 16570, 14060, 16800, 16600, etc)
    Cal 321 seamaster chronographs
    Seamaster 300

But open to others!

Edited Jan 17, 2018
  3. bigsom Jan 19, 2018

Bump

4. bigsom Jan 21, 2018

Thanks for all the messages and trade offers, this one is now OHPF

5. bigsom Jan 23, 2018

Sold