Forums Latest Members
  1. paulgn Jul 23, 2018

Screenshot_20180723-091546.png
  2. chipsotoole Jul 23, 2018

Looks to be in good condition overall. The casing and bracelet have been a bit overpolished and the lines aren't quite so sharp. I have concerns about the crown too. These are not particularly scarce or rare watches. I'd like to see a shot of the movement (has it been recently serviced?) . 999 UKP isn't exactly a rip off, but it is high (as Chrono 24 usually is). I'd think you'd be able to pick up one for about 1/3 less. Suggest you look around a bit more. There are some real Connie aficionados here, they'll give you better advice... paging Mr @ConElPueblo

paulgn likes this.
  3. paulgn Jul 23, 2018

Ah brilliant thanks for that, would really appreciate some advice, here's some more pics the movement one is not clear but I like the bracelet.

1.JPG 3.JPG
    2.JPG
    4.JPG

4. chipsotoole Jul 23, 2018

hmm not sure about the bracelet. Could be an omega clasp on a non original bracelet. I don't recall seeing one with that STE stelux marking, but then again 1) I'm not an expert, especially not Connies 2) Omega had bracelets made in the states too.That might possibly be one of these.
    The knurled bezel on the watch is solid gold BTW (so many over the years seem to have gotten prised off and sold for scrap) . If it was an original connie bracelet, I'd half expect the middle rows to be gold too...but they seem to be plated from the pics. Movement (1XXX series?) looks a little on the tired side. Did they mentioned f it had been recently serviced. It'l cost around 150 quid to get it done and done it really should be.
    This is a 500- maximum 700 UKP watch im my honest but very amateur opinion. Where's @ConElPueblo when you need him? Languishing in a hammock in the foothills of Peru no doubt....

paulgn likes this.
  5. paulgn Jul 23, 2018

This is the advert about the bracelet " Original parts and original strap - 2 non gold links added for size but is loose on me at 7.6 inch wrist. This is a very collectable piece, the 1021 calibre is one of the best made by omega and this has the official chronometer certified movement. Some made do not - it has to be on the watch face and this is.
    Condition is used and the strap does have some dings on the links but as you can see its been extremely well looked after
    This was omega's first truly integrated bracelet as per the write up in the history of time omega "bible"

On Ebay
    OMEGA CONSTELLATION

14KT SOLID GOLD BEZEL

SOLID GOLD & STEEL BRACELET

35MM CASE

CALIBRE 1021 - AUTOMATIC CERTIFIED CHRONOMETER

DATES TO 1972

BA 368.0851

BASE 168.0054

BEAUTIFUL CLEAN MOVEMENT - SERVICED AND RUNNING WELL - KEEPS PERFECT TIME

ORIGINAL PARTS AND ORIGINAL STRAP - 2 NON GOLD LINKS ADDED FOR SIZE BUT IS LOOSE ON ME AT 7.6 INCH WRIST

THIS IS A VERY COLLECTABLE PIECE, THE 1021 CALIBRE IS ONE OF THE BEST MADE BY OMEGA AND THIS HAS THE OFFICIAL CHRONOMETER CERTIFIED MOVEMENT. SOME MADE DO NOT - IT HAS TO BE ON THE WATCH FACE AND THIS IS.

Must admit the stelux marking had me thinking as I've seen many with Omega on the inside of the clasp, on the whole it looks good, I'm struggling to find anything that looks as good as this, if it is completely legit.

6. paulgn Jul 23, 2018

This guy refurbishes watches 'Planet Ocean Watches UK' so I'm guessing he's tinkered with it but not officially serviced.

7. Vitezi Jul 23, 2018

Your best approach is to read all of the information available on these pages and this site devoted to Constellations, and educate yourself on these models:
    http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/2006/06/about-omega-constellation-vintage.html
    http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/2011/01/omega-constellation-3680852-good-buy.html
    http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec/Movement4.pdf

paulgn likes this.
  8. michael22 Jul 23, 2018

IMO, it has been refinished, & is very worn.

The gold bezel is very worn around the outside edge, to the extent that the corrugations are completely gone from the outside half of the bezel.
    I suspect the bracelet is just as worn, & looks to have large gaps between each link.

The case surface outside the bezel has been refinished. Notice the fine scratches. These should travel in strait lines from to p to bottom. But in this example, these scratches curve around the bezel. I conclude somebody refinished the case without removing the gold bezel.

Deafboy and paulgn like this.
  9. chipsotoole Jul 23, 2018

I guess in the pic of the movement is one of the non gold links..as the plate has worn off. why would he put those non gold links so high on the watch instead of a less noticeable/ hard wearing place? As for OF experts, They're just waking up over in the states and most of the Europeans are working. I'd wouldn't jump on it until you hear a few other comments. I still however hear distant alarm bells.
    1) It's collectable but not very collectable..I think it the future it will accrue in value.
    2) That movement looks too grubby to have been serviced and there is gasket residue visible around the seal.
    3) GP links added in an unsuitable place
    4) been over polished, edges should be mirror with lapping pattern on top which is kinda almost still visible but wavy now.

paulgn likes this.
  10. paulgn Jul 23, 2018

I have some research to do I think, thank you. I guess with a lot of watches these age there will likely be imperfections from refinishing etc

11. paulgn Jul 23, 2018

Thank you, I can see that now (my eye is untrained unfortunately).

12. paulgn Jul 23, 2018

I agree thanks, I think my biggest issue would be with the bezel.
    Where to look next for something that's better quality from 1972

13. chipsotoole Jul 23, 2018

Try the private for sale ads here...you won't find mega bargains, but you will find folk who'll be honest and go the extra mile to help you.
    the early 70's were an interesting time for watch design...not everyones cup of tea. personally I'd stay away from golden c cased connie and go with something a little more interesting. like a jumbo cased Chronostop made (disputably) for the Italian Market.
    IMG_1945.jpg IMG_1941.jpg

paulgn likes this.
  14. michael22 Jul 23, 2018

If you do like this style, just bide your time. Fantastic examples are out there.

paulgn likes this.
  15. paulgn Jul 23, 2018

Thanks I'll keep my eyes peeled, not seen the chronostop before looks good. I'll have to patient :)

16. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 23, 2018

More desirable would be a reference 168.045 with the caliber 751 movement.

4587.jpg

eatabagel and paulgn like this.
  17. WatchVaultNYC Jul 23, 2018

Wore one to church yesterday. Sooo comfy..

[​IMG]

SuperHero, eatabagel and paulgn like this.
  18. paulgn Jul 23, 2018

Looks great

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  19. paulgn Jul 24, 2018

Well I told the guy I was going to leave it for now and he said its really rare he's going to put the price up £300. Its not sold at £999 strange choice

ConElPueblo likes this.
  20. chipsotoole Jul 24, 2018

I think a wise call on balance. If that's the watch you want, be patient. One will come around very soon.

paulgn likes this.