Forums Latest Members
  1. alex_blair1 Jun 13, 2014

[​IMG]

I'm currently researching the value of an Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch that I inherited from my grandfather. My mother remembers him purchasing it in the very early 70's. I have included a photo with original packaging and inserts. Wondering if anyone can date and value this watch based on my photo. Help me!

Privateday7 likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 13, 2014

I moved this out into its own thread, nice set you have there

Mathlar likes this.
  3. Hijak Jun 13, 2014

I wasn't aware that Omega made a quartz Speedmaster.::confused2::

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 13, 2014

It wasn't uncommon for stuff like that to happen with boxes, my 1680 Submariner has a Day-Date box. They did make some quartz Speedys though ;)

5. Mathlar Jun 13, 2014

Can you also post a picture of the case back of the watch please? That'll help us determine whether it's a rarer model.

6. alex_blair1 Jun 13, 2014

7. alex_blair1 Jun 13, 2014

kind of a rough picture was this of any help?

8. Mathlar Jun 13, 2014

Thank you. That verifies it as the case back that was used from late '71 until pretty much the current day. While less valuable, you still have a nice set that collectors will value - very much more so if you can find the receipt?

9. alex_blair1 Jun 13, 2014

My mother might still have it somewhere, she swears it was with the box but knowing her she wouldn't trust me with it. She might still have it somewhere. We've gauged what it is worth, but I was wondering if you had an estimate yourself?

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 13, 2014

But it's a Megaquartz box with a Speedmaster insert. The quartz Speedies didn't use "Megaquartz 32kHz" :confused:

However, back in the day, I don't think the shop assistant worried about the box, it was simply something nice to get the watch back home.

They didn't realise what a bunch of pedantic, fussy, picky WISs would think of such a combination 40 years later :D

You have a very nice vintage Speedie there Alex, I would estimate it to be about $3,500 (give or take a bit), and my estimate is based on an Australian perspective.

marturx likes this.
  11. Mathlar Jun 13, 2014

It's in very nice condition and you'll command a premium if you can get the papers as well as the box. I'd say $3000 is achievable if you have the papers, otherwise less. Ozzie/UK perspective might command a little more due to local pricing as per Jim's estimate.

12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 13, 2014

I think that's enthusiastic, but you never know. Original pieces with paperwork and a good history do command a premium. And Australia has taxes.....

check out www.speedmaster101.com for the price chart, and a short description of '70s speedies. When a speedmaster has a little history, along with the box (albeit the "wrong" one!) and the papers, if stamped, I do believe it adds value. Unsubstantiated paperwork and an added box do not, for me.

The back of the guarantee should have some details - if not it is not adding value. It should have a serial number, and a reference, sometimes but not always showing a two figure year after the reference. Eg 145.022 -76.

i can't see a step in the dial so it may be a -76 or -78, or perhaps later. Only the metal doesn't forget! i.e. The engraving inside the case back and the serial on the movement!

whatever it is a great watch.

i like it.

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 13, 2014

......And that adds value.....!

14. alex_blair1 Jun 13, 2014

well I appreciate all the help. where should I sell this thing?

15. Davidt Jun 13, 2014

Here is a good place to sell. Or even eBay. Just provide plenty of high res pictures from all angles and consider asking a watchmaker to remove the back so you can get a pic of the movement and inside the case back. However, if it belonged to your grandad, wouldn't it be good to keep?

16. alex_blair1 Jun 13, 2014

well I can't wear the damn thing cause I'm allergic to nickel, and I'm fresh out of college and relocating to Denver and I could definitely use the money.

17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 13, 2014

Also don't feel bad about selling heirlooms.

Times and needs change.

Also interests and desires don't always travel down generations. Sons and daughters have their own paths to follow. Trying to follow a fathers or grandfathers passion out of filial loyalty may not be offer anything other than nagging worries, and little joy.

From a selfish point of view, some of my favourite watches have come from the sons or daughters of the original owner.

TNTwatch, UncleBuck and JimInOz like this.
  18. repoman Jun 13, 2014

Nice Speedy Alex. Like you, I inherited a Moonwatch from my Grandfather, in my case a 1967 pre-moon. If you don't have any particular attachment to the watch, and since you are allergic and can't wear it anyway, selling it and using those funds for something else is a great option, there will be plenty of buyers interested in your watch (you've probably already received several PM's asking to buy it :) ! Hi-res, clear pictures will help sell the watch for full value, so try really hard to get a bunch of good pics. Go to the WTS (want to sell) section of this forum and you'll see great examples of how others present their watches for sale. The story behind your watch helps (1 owner, your grandfather, well cared for, original box etc.). Like others said, you really need to take off the case back, and photograph the inside of it - that will contain the case reference number for the watch. While at it, a photograph of the back of the movement is a big plus for selling. That will show the serial number and will confirm the identity of the watch. Once you know the exact year of the watch, go search ebay (including listings that have already sold) and you will get a very good idea of price. The estimates given here by the experts should also be pretty spot on - but beware anyone trying to buy your watch on the cheap!!

Good luck!

19. Tritium Jun 14, 2014

I feel so bad everytime I hear someone selling a grandfather´s heirloom.
    I think I´d never do it. Even if it wasn´t a watch, and it was any other kind of object that I don´t collect, but maybe I´m wrong. Who knows...
    Anyway I just hope it falls on the appropriate hands, and this will mostly happen if you list it on the for sale section of this forum.
    Good luck with the sale:thumbsup:

20. fjf Jun 14, 2014

Nickel?. Aren't those steel?