Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage Tissot Seastar Navigator Chronograph - Reduced Price

1. R3D9 Jun 13, 2017

For sale is my vintage Tissot Seastar Navigator.

Reference : 40522 15
    Case Material : Stainless steel
    Case Size: 40mm excluding the crown
    Lug Width: 20mm
    Glass : Domed acrylic crystal in excellent condition
    Movement : Valjoux 7734
    Dial : Matte Black with Glossy Black sub-registers
    Hands : White (hour/minutes/seconds) Red (chrono hand and chrono minute hand)

Box and papers are not included with the sale.

Price : $700 Canadian Dollars OBO (as at June 14th, 2017 = ~$528 USD equivalent) net to me. I am always open to offers, so please do get in touch if you are interested.

Since this is just my third listing on the site, payment from established members of Omega Forums can be made via PayPal (non-friends and family, so you can have the added comfort of PayPal's buyer protection) and I will cover the fees. New members must pay via wire transfer or PayPal friends and family.

Canadian Residents - I am happy to accept payment via PayPal (as outlined above) or Interac E-mail transfer.

The watch is located in Guelph, Ontario Canada. Shipping is to be made via Canada Post with their optional insurance coverage, at the buyer's expense. A face to face sale in the GTA is welcome. I regularly drive all around SWO for business, so a meet-up anywhere from London, Ontario to Toronto is arrangeable, with reasonable notice.

I am a private collector and will set the post OHPF after getting the first PM saying "I will buy this watch now at your price".

And now, for the pictures :

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1684.jpg

Pictured here on my 7.25" wrist:

IMG_1686.jpg

Movement photo provided by my seller (casebook has not been opened since coming into my possesion):

388756-3d5abf3c5b1b38b384c7a5974b1be175-2.jpg

Movement photo from the eBay listing mentioned below:

IMG_1689.jpg

Condition Notes:

The pictures above are the best part of the description. Since I own the watch I'm selling, feel free to ask for special details or angles you want to see better prior to buying.

Included in the sale is a fantastic nato strap from Haveston. I put up a mini-review of the strap here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/haveston-nato-strap-mini-review.58252/

Even if you're not interested in the watch, I highly recommend checking out Haveston. I'd prefer to keep the strap (so if you want it, please let me know) but it looks so right on the Tissot that I feel compelled to keep them together :)

Some FAQ:

Why are you selling? - I acquired this watch a few months ago and I would rank it as the second-favourite watch in my collection right now, next to my trusty Speedy Pro. Thing is, I've been lusting after a Rolex Explorer for a long, long time and an opportunity has arisen to acquire one at a very good price. The end result is I'll be liquidating all non-Speedy watches from my collection to help fund the new Rolex.

Are you a Dealer? -
    No. I am an aspiring collector and have been primarily in acquisition mode. I have completed one successful sale on this forum which you can read about here:

r3d9-a-fantastic-honest-seller-an-absolute-pleasure-to-deal-with.58748

I recently sold another watch to a member of u/watchexchange on Reddit. You can see his feedback here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WatchExcha...d9_is_a_dream_seller/?st=J3VOUUUG&sh=3ed5afb8

I've also completed a few purchases online and can provide references from those individuals upon request.

Tell me a little about the watch's history: - This watch was purchased via a fellow collector on the Canwatchco forums. He in turn had originally purchased the watch from an established eBay seller. The original eBay listing can be seen here:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/282384741523?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&_mwBanner=1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

What is the watch's condition?

The watch is in honest vintage condition. I think the overall presentation is age-appropriate, but this is nowhere near collectors-grade... it's a watch that you can wear and not worry about it. Here is a synopsis of what I see as the key condition notes:

External Parts:
    - the case has many scuffs and scratches, but the case is sharp and if it has ever been polished, I would guess it was a very light one. The top of the case seems to still have the original vertical brushing.
    - there are a few small dings on various parts of the case
    - the caseback has plenty of scratches but no deep scuffs or dings.
    - the bezel has scratches and some wear around the edges, but based upon my online research of similar examples, I'd rate the condition as good. Many of these watches came with plastic bezels, which, over time, have seen all of the tachymeter markers worn off. Mine is the version with the metal bezel, which appears to be much more robust.
    - the dial in very good condition. No damage to the dial... the dial markers have faded to a lovely yellow patina. A few of the markers have some darker marks on them, but all of the lume is present and appears sturdy.
    - the hands are all in excellent condition. The lume on the hands matches the markers on the dial nicely.
    - I believe the pushers to be original, but I am not an expert on vintage Tissot, so take that with a grain of salt.
    - The crown is unsigned and has seen some miles and has a few dings, but based upon my online research, I believe it to be original to the watch.

Movement:

- My seller indicated that the service history was unknown. I connected with his seller (an established seller of vintage watches) and asked him about the watch's history (I can provide a copy of the PM conversation for the buyer's records). He indicated that he had a watchmaker open the watch up and inspect the movement, which was deemed to be in acceptable condition.
    - My experience is that the watch maintains decent vintage time. On wrist, it seems off by + 10 seconds per day. It does seem to vary wildly off-wrist, depending upon the position I leave it in. My seller originally estimated +25/-15 per day.
    - I would strongly recommend a service if the buyer intends to wear the watch regularly, and I make no guarantees with regards to timekeeping and am selling the watch as-is from a movement perspective. I have priced the watch with the notion of a required service in mind.
    - The chronograph functions as it should and resets to bang-on 12:00. Once, during my time with it, it did not reset exactly to noon... a quick re-start and reset fixed the issue, but again, I would recommend having the watch inspected and/or serviced by your watchmaker prior to regular wear.

Anything else to know?
    Nope :)

Will you take it back? - Returns only accepted if watch is materially not as described.
    Many thanks to the Omega Forums for the space!

Edited Jun 14, 2017
    speedamatuer likes this.
  2. JimJupiter Jun 13, 2017

I love these old Tissots :) GLWS!

R3D9 likes this.
  3. R3D9 Jun 14, 2017

Price reduction bump!

Now asking $700 (was $800) Canadian Dollars ($525 USD) for this awesome chronograph.

I'm motivated to sell, so please do get in touch with an offer if you're interested :thumbsup:

Edited Jun 14, 2017
  4. R3D9 Jun 16, 2017

Sold via another forum to a repeat buyer!!!

Thanks again to the OF for the space :thumbsup:

Kmart and dougiedude like this.
  5. Kmart Jun 16, 2017

Reddit again? ;)

Beautiful watch, it was an absolute steal at $525 IMO. Congrats on the sale.

R3D9 likes this.
  6. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jun 16, 2017

+1!

GRats! :thumbsup:

R3D9 likes this.
  7. R3D9 Jun 16, 2017

Reddit was the venue. A previous seller bought it and received a repeat buyers discount to boot ;)