Forums Latest Members

1970s blue dial automatic Longines -- what do you think?

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 4, 2016

I'm looking for a present for someone.

This seems a bit too scratched up, but still curious: what caliber is this ?
    Would you call this a good watch?
    Thanks for your thoughts, S

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

OMGRLX likes this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 4, 2016

I'm not a pillow shape 70's fan. Looks pretty ordinary to me given your talent for finding interesting watches.

3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 4, 2016

Thanks for the compliment Larry, well as you know the "finding" involves a lot of looking at diffferent stuff.

I've always liked those squarish-shaped blue dials from the 1970s; I'll just make sure not to call it a "Nautilus" :D:eek:::bleh::

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 4, 2016

I am always attracted to the chunky 70s vibe of this style watch. Have owned several similar, but always end up disappointed with them on the wrist for one reason or another.

I know nothing about this particular Longines reference. I will say that it is my perception, perhaps misplaced, that Longines blue dials from that era have held up better than those of other manufactures. Blue Zeniths dials, for example, seem relatively fragile by comparison, a few very fine examples from several members notwithstanding.

Syrte likes this.
  5. ulackfocus Aug 4, 2016

Looks to me like a caliber 890 from the 70's.

Good idea. ;)

Syrte likes this.
  6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 4, 2016

Fixed that for ya. ::stirthepot::

ahartfie, ulackfocus and Syrte like this.
  7. Fattony Aug 4, 2016

Unfortunately I am a sucker for blue dials ,I like it

ahartfie and Syrte like this.
  8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 4, 2016

Thanks much-- I see it's not in your encyclopaedic thread about automatic Longines calibers ...
    curious whether you have any thoughts about it, if you ever have a chance.
    No hurry though (are we a bit tired in the Longines sub-forum? Just wondering).

Darlinboy, just what I was secretely hoping for (you are trouble ;))

Have a nice evening all,
    S

Edited Aug 4, 2016
    ahartfie and Darlinboy like this.
  9. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Aug 4, 2016

After a LOT of polishing [and brushing], it would make a fine gift :D

Syrte likes this.
  10. ulackfocus Aug 4, 2016

Not much after 1970 catches my interest even if it's one of my pet brands but there's a few points I remember about Longines' inhouse movements in that decade. The 890 and 990 series were pretty nice. Both are dual barrel for extended power reserve. The 890's barrels are stacked while the 990's barrels are on the same plane making the 990 a thinner series of calibers than it's older cousins from the 890 series. In the mid to late 70's Longines sold all the tooling and information for these calibers to Lemania (?), and started using rebadged movements like everyone else who was hurt during the quartz crisis. Longines did still use these calibers so they must have had an agreement with Lemania to supply them.

noelekal, Vitezi, Larry S and 2 others like this.
  11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 4, 2016

Cool, thanks so much !! (the Lemania bit is very interesting too).

12. argonbeam Aug 4, 2016

Second what ulackfocus said (will be a cold day in hell I find something to argue about with him regarding Longines movements). 890 series a cool movement and not as common as the 990's, as the 890's were replaced early on by the thinner 990's. Seems like thin movements were at a premium up until recently, where I see watches now that could serve as doorstops. The 990.1 became the Lemania 8815, which has been used by several brands in various iterations, including Breguet. I agree this particular watch is too beat up (unless the price is right!). There are a few Japanese sellers that have the blue dials pop up on occasion, usually with a 990 or 994 (no seconds hand).

Edited Aug 5, 2016
    Syrte likes this.
  13. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 5, 2016

Thanks Argonbeam, this one is priced around 250 US, but I agree it's too beat up.
    I'm sure a better one is bound to turn up at some point though, and it' good to have the info.

Best regards,
    S

noelekal likes this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 5, 2016

Blue Longines
    6952 with a cool hacking feature

image.jpeg

ahartfie, alam, Syrte and 2 others like this.
  15. dx009 Aug 5, 2016

Well you could certainly refurbish it a bit by polishing the case maybe the crystal.. or just replace it but that would take more time and money and I don't know if you want that...

You should be able to find a better one for this price... maybe a maximum of 300$.

16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 5, 2016

I think the present is shaping up to be a dive watch (I may have a hard time finding a PP-equivalent term:)).

Not a Longines dive watch though. A French brand will be preferable.

17. dx009 Aug 5, 2016

I've seen plenty of vintage diving watches from LIP and YEMA. Look them up. Plenty of interesting and affordable designs.

18. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 5, 2016

Thanks much, yes, I started looking at those currently on offer.
    There are several other good brands thankfully, the French were pretty prolific as far as dive watches were concerned.
    If anyone sees anything of interest that's located in the EU, thankful for a pm.

Best regards,
    S

19. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 5, 2016

Something like.....?

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hijak and Syrte like this.
  20. alam Aug 5, 2016

Now, that's a blue dial that I'd take on a date :) :thumbsup: 70s?

Syrte likes this.