Forums Latest Members
  1. marco Oct 7, 2017

Well done for your persistance, I really hope it happens.
    It just shows what they (Omega) can do if you get the right person.

2. DonovanMartin Oct 9, 2017

Drum roll please!!!!
    July 4, 1969
    IMG_7652.JPG

Caliber561, Dash1, Justme and 4 others like this.
  3. DonovanMartin Oct 9, 2017

So with a date of July 4, 1969 which case back is correct? The -69 right? It that is the case then all I'm in search of is the correct dial that isn't totally shot.

4. DonovanMartin Oct 9, 2017

Watch and Extract of the Archives
    IMG_7653.JPG

mr_yossarian likes this.
  5. mr_yossarian Oct 9, 2017

It could be the right caseback. Concerning the serial...you would need a new dial and caseback..I'd bet this was a transitional :)

6. DonovanMartin Oct 9, 2017

I bet the dial and caseback don't come around often. Is eBay the only place to look?

7. abrod520 Oct 10, 2017

Once you've reached 200 posts here, you could post a want to buy (WTB) ad; casebacks come up from time to time but you can expect the search for a dial to take a little while

8. DonovanMartin Oct 10, 2017

Guess I better stop just reading threads and contribute! Thanks for the advice.

9. DonovanMartin Nov 6, 2017

There is a tread that is just for Transistionals that discusses the last of July of 1969 Speedmasters. There are some in August and later that have a -69 caseback and those from June have -68. I haven’t gotten any response there so I’ll venture here again.
    Is there a known date of exactly when the -68 caseback ended and the -69 started?
    It would appear to be July of -69.
    Am I speculating too much?
    I am really just trying to make this watch as correct as possible.

10. mr_yossarian Nov 7, 2017

Who is discussing that based on what observations, verifiable and sufficient observations? A serious question.
    I think - in this particular case - discussing a caseback between July and August is esoteric and probably more aimed at "talking" a watch into correctness, depending on the caseback the parties own.

In terms of authenticity I would rather rely on what is bullet proof: the serial and the extract in this case.

marco and JimJupiter like this.
  11. DonovanMartin Nov 7, 2017

It is a serious question. I agree. I will try to link that other forum here if possible.
    (http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/lets-see-your-transitional-861-speedmaster-838031.html)
    There are multiple watches with case backs listed in the chart on that forum from later than July- all with -69 case backs. There are not as many but some from prior to July that have the -68.
    My reason is simple. If I have the correct case back for my serial then it is not necessarily a Transitional. It could be but that will never be known. I could leave the -69 case back on it and simply find the correct dial. However, if it is truly a Transitional then the -68 case back and a Transitional dial should be located.

12. DonovanMartin Nov 9, 2017

I was almost resolved to see this as a -68. As I was reading Moonwatch Only I came across the bracelet page. The Extract states it left with a 1171/633 bracelet. MWO also states that the -68 didn’t have that bracelet option.
    I’m guess it will never be “solved” as to exactly which this is -68 or -69. But the bracelet option sure pushes in the -69 category in my limited opinion

13. DonovanMartin Mar 5, 2018

I forgot to reply to this. There is some lume left it is just hard to see in my pictures. I've sourced a correct dial for this watch and I'm saving towards that purchase. It is not a perfect dial but pretty nice and will complete this watch once I get it taken care of!

cicindela likes this.
  14. DonovanMartin Apr 2, 2018

I'm getting close to having enough saved for a correct dial on this -69. My problem: I've only used Nesbits and they don't swap parts. There are no local watch makers I trust.
    I've removed the movement from an Omega Speedmaster Mk II before but not this and certainly not the hands. I've removed and replaced hands on pocket watches. I'm very uncomfortable at this point trying to do this. Recommendations or people to consider trying for this job? (The watch still has several months of warranty left from an omega service)

15. mr_yossarian Apr 3, 2018

A 27xx serial and a 145.022-69 Reference just don't match. This is generally a standard reply by Omega when they can't confirm the Reference/Movement Number which doesn't mean they didn't find the Serial it in the Archives.

16. Dash1 Apr 3, 2018

So how do you explain the archive extract shown above?

17. mr_yossarian Apr 3, 2018

A very good question, Ash.
    A -69 delivered mid '69 is something rare, my smartest guess. We would need to see many more -69 delivered in 1969 within that serial range. When we rely on MWO and their research base ( Omega Archives ) this is, as said, quite unusual. Objections welcome. I still think it's a -68 or at least a -68 movement.

EDIT: Check this in addition. http://www.moonwatchonly.com/omega-...view-of-the-speedmaster-moonwatch-production/

Edited Apr 3, 2018
    Dash1 likes this.
  18. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 3, 2018

For me, this watch's serial is only seen on a transitional.
    I have never seen 27m on a -69.
    So, again for me, this watch would need a -68 back and a long indice AML dial to be " Correct"

I think the sales price reflects the uncertainty this watch broadcasts.

Still a good watch to enjoy, but never going to be original no matter what effort/cash expended.

Always better to start with a good watch if you want to finish with a good watch.

Of course that is not always the choice we have on the path to ownership.

mr_yossarian and Baz9614 like this.
  19. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 3, 2018

The archive states its a 145.022. It is correct, as that includes -68/69 etc etc. As for the bracelet : wasn't that additional info provided when applying for the extract? Again, on borderlines here, but this bracelet should only be from about 1970 onwards (-69 subref) and even the majority of -69s have 1039's (that I have seen at least) and most certainly -68's will only have 1039's. Apologies if I am stating the obvious...

mr_yossarian likes this.
  20. DonovanMartin Apr 3, 2018

When I sent for the extract no one that I ever spoke with knew that it had the bracelet on it. They had never seen the watch in person or even pictures. I'd given them the serial and case back information only. That is what was interesting about this Extract.
    I don't have any clear ideas. I have a copy of MWO and I've read about everything I can get my hands on, both in print and online. I have had the opportunity to buy both a transitional dial and case back, and the dial for a -69.
    To me the extract still gives a clearer picture. Not crystal clear, sadly.