1969 Omega Chronostop 146.009-new arrival

Afternoon all,

I thought I would show you my latest watch, which arrived today. It joins my 2005 Seamaster.

I have wanted a Chronostop for a number of years now, but never seriously researched them or actively looked to purchase one until recently.

I have read the many threads on here about Chronostops, dates, movements, cases etc etc and studied many photos, so that I knew what I was looking at. When i thought I was educated enough, I took the plunge!

There was a lovely one that sold recently on eBay, with a rally strap and no.27 clasp, I missed out on this to a member on here (there is a post about it somewhere) Undeterred, I continued my search.

I wanted to buy a watch in the best condition possible, ideally unrestored. It had to be a 146.009 (with date), have the original pusher, engraved plexiglass crystal, crown, and original brushed finish to the case. I also wanted one with an original mesh bracelet, or rally strap, if possible. I also wanted one they had been serviced, with proof.

I kept on returning to an advert I had seen on Chrono24, which from reading on here, has mixed reviews. I exchanged a number of messages with the seller, who answered promptly, in detail, and sent me many photos of areas I had asked to see. I was also sent detailed photos of the strip down and service. I then phoned him up and we chatted about the watch, I negotiated the price, and a deal was done.

Although it doesn’t have its original bracelet or papers etc, I am very pleased with it. The condition is better than I could have hoped. It has had a few marks lightly removed from the polished case sides, and a previous owner had refinished the back case, making the waterproof etching quite faint, but I was told all this pre purchase. The edges of the case are sharp, the etched crystal is in nice condition, and it has the original brushed finish (as far as I can tell)

The seller was Oliver Chambert (Olivier
Nicolas watches). He is an accredited watch maker, with various diplomas from the British Horological Institute. My experience buying from him was very pleasant.

anyway, here are some photos of the watch! Please feel free to give your opinions re it’s condition etc. As far as I can tell, I found a nice one!

I have a no.27 clasp, but would love a Milanese mesh bracelet or original rally strap for it, if any one knows of one, or has one in their stash?
Edited:

I would say the dial was relumed - not bad, not perfect either - but the overall condition is good. I wouldn't mind have the same 👍
Find it with the correct strap or bracelet is always difficult. Cofram does not age well and milanese does not pop that often (or with a so-so watch). Plus its current strap is nice IMO

I would say the dial was relumed - not bad, not perfect either - but the overall condition is good. I wouldn't mind have the same 👍
Find it with the correct strap or bracelet is always difficult. Cofram does not age well and milanese does not pop that often (or with a so-so watch). Plus its current strap is nice IMO
Thanks for the reply Lurk41. Are there tell tail signs that it has been re lumed? I have compared it to other dials on other watches, and they all seem to vary in quality of application.. The lume on the hands has the same appearance as the plots, It does look aged, I think the photos make it look brighter than it really is.

I agree re the watches with original mesh, the ones I have seen are in poor condition. I can live with this strap for now!

It look great. I almost bought one of these in 1999 and still have a liking for them. Enjoy in good health!

Out of interest what is your evidence for it being a relume?

It look great. I almost bought one of these in 1999 and still have a liking for them. Enjoy in good health!
Thanks for the positive comment! I think I will be wearing this one a lot. For a watch over 50 years old, I think I need to be realistic and expect some degree of restoration. Either way, I’m happy for the price I managed to pay.

The plots are a tad uneven (they also tend to fell off so that is why most are not better - and more than often, far worse) and the lume at 12 is - not sure about the correct word in english - blurry, not clear, not sharp? That is what makes me think it was relumed at one point... The hands are great though.

Anyway, 1/ I could be wrong 2/ even if I am right, it looks nice and it would not have prevent me from buying it 😉

The plots are a tad uneven (they also tend to fell off so that is why most are not better - and more than often, far worse) and the lume at 12 is - not sure about the correct word in english - blurry, not clear, not sharp? That is what makes me think it was relumed at one point... The hands are great though.

Anyway, 1/ I could be wrong 2/ even if I am right, it looks nice and it would not have prevent me from buying it 😉
Thanks for the feedback Lurk. This is all a learning curve for me, which I’m enjoying. I’m glad you wouldn’t have been put off buying it!

Thanks for the kind comments, was a little nervous posting up photos and getting the opinions of the ‘experts’!

Wore it all day, very comfortable, I barely noticed it was there.

are there any tricks to this movement regarding date adjustment etc?

This thread makes me sad. I wish I kept mine's. I didn't get the chance to try it with a mesh bracelet but you definitely should. I've seen some collectors wear it with theirs on IG. They look great!
In regard to your question, the caliber is non-quickset so to change the date you have to turn it per 24 hrs. That's the only way unfortunately. Not too much of a hassle if it's your daily wearer 👍

This thread makes me sad. I wish I kept mine's. I didn't get the chance to try it with a mesh bracelet but you definitely should. I've seen some collectors wear it with theirs on IG. They look great!
In regard to your question, the caliber is non-quickset so to change the date you have to turn it per 24 hrs. That's the only way unfortunately. Not too much of a hassle if it's your daily wearer 👍
Thanks for the info, like you say, not too much of a hardship! I’ll have to wait for a decent mesh bracelet to pop up. I know I’ll have to pay, but I think it will finish the watch off nicely. My eBay searches are set and ready to go!

Nice watch @SeaMSTR and I recently posted this on another thread...........

Bought mine new in 1971 - it was £21 special mail order offer including mesh bracelet!

I had it serviced and restored a few years ago by Omega Bien. Hands and dial are all original and the hands were relumed by Simon Freese.

Nice watch @SeaMSTR and I recently posted this on another thread...........

Bought mine new in 1971 - it was £21 special mail order offer including mesh bracelet!

I had it serviced and restored a few years ago by Omega Bien. Hands and dial are all original and the hands were relumed by Simon Freese.

Morning Jack, a lovely watch you have there!

Would you be able to post up some close up photos of yours? Case/dial/strap etc? Would just like to see how it compares to mine for originality!

thanks a lot, Paul.

Thanks Paul,

I am probably the only person left in the UK who does not use a mobile phone and my camera is currently being repaired.

However I do have one pic of my watch which might help...................

chronoradio.jpg

I can confirm that your case looks good, although like mine has been restored/polished so not quite as sharp as original.

It is correct that the case sides are polished and the case back looks correct too.

Hope this helps. Jack

Thanks Paul,

I am probably the only person left in the UK who does not use a mobile phone and my camera is currently being repaired.

However I do have one pic of my watch which might help...................

chronoradio.jpg

I can confirm that your case looks good, although like mine has been restored/polished so not quite as sharp as original.

It is correct that the case sides are polished and the case back looks correct too.

Hope this helps. Jack
Thanks a lot Jack. I’m pretty happy with the overall condition of mine. Considering it’s age, i think the case, edges and finish are pretty good to be fair. There are some over-polished ones About, with really soft edges, and they look terrible IMO.

There was mention in this thread of mine being possible re lumed, however I’m not so sure, it looks pretty consistent with the countless others I have seen.

I trust you have the original box and papers etc for yours? Would be interested to see the instructions!
Cheers, Paul.

Afternoon all,

I thought I would show you my latest watch, which arrived today. It joins my 2005 Seamaster.

I have wanted a Chronostop for a number of years now, but never seriously researched them or actively looked to purchase one until recently.

I have read the many threads on here about Chronostops, dates, movements, cases etc etc and studied many photos, so that I knew what I was looking at. When i thought I was educated enough, I took the plunge!

There was a lovely one that sold recently on eBay, with a rally strap and no.27 clasp, I missed out on this to a member on here (there is a post about it somewhere) Undeterred, I continued my search.

I wanted to buy a watch in the best condition possible, ideally unrestored. It had to be a 146.009 (with date), have the original pusher, engraved plexiglass crystal, crown, and original brushed finish to the case. I also wanted one with an original mesh bracelet, or rally strap, if possible. I also wanted one they had been serviced, with proof.

I kept on returning to an advert I had seen on Chrono24, which from reading on here, has mixed reviews. I exchanged a number of messages with the seller, who answered promptly, in detail, and sent me many photos of areas I had asked to see. I was also sent detailed photos of the strip down and service. I then phoned him up and we chatted about the watch, I negotiated the price, and a deal was done.

Although it doesn’t have its original bracelet or papers etc, I am very pleased with it. The condition is better than I could have hoped. It has had a few marks lightly removed from the polished case sides, and a previous owner had refinished the back case, making the waterproof etching quite faint, but I was told all this pre purchase. The edges of the case are sharp, the etched crystal is in nice condition, and it has the original brushed finish (as far as I can tell)

The seller was Oliver Chambert (Olivier
Nicolas watches). He is an accredited watch maker, with various diplomas from the British Horological Institute. My experience buying from him was very pleasant.

anyway, here are some photos of the watch! Please feel free to give your opinions re it’s condition etc. As far as I can tell, I found a nice one!

I have a no.27 clasp, but would love a Milanese mesh bracelet or original rally strap for it, if any one knows of one, or has one in their stash?
That is a very attractive watch. I think I am the guy that got the one on ebay. Yours is just as good as mine in my opinion and the movement in yours looks cleaner than in mine. They both are in very good condition as most I see nowadays are not that great.

That is a very attractive watch. I think I am the guy that got the one on ebay. Yours is just as good as mine in my opinion and the movement in yours looks cleaner than in mine. They both are in very good condition as most I see nowadays are not that great.
Yes, I believe you are. It did look lovely, nice purchase!

I’ve just bought some locking strap ends and a no.27 clasp for mine, and I will get a rally strap made with the clasp. Probably not the cheapest way of doing things, but it will be just as I want it once done.

Yes, I believe you are. It did look lovely, nice purchase!

I’ve just bought some locking strap ends and a no.27 clasp for mine, and I will get a rally strap made with the clasp. Probably not the cheapest way of doing things, but it will be just as I want it once done.
I am after a omega seamaster gmt great white next so might have to sell the chrono stop to make way for that one