Forums Latest Members
  1. Klipspringer Dec 7, 2012

Hi Forum,

First post here and it's a question about this Speedmaster Professional offered on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221162032355?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I am looking to buy a Speedmaster and this watch caught my attention as it seems to be OK looking. Is the fact that it has a broken chrono hour counter of major concern? Is it indicative of further problems, too risky a purchase?

I know one can't really say for sure, but would a watchmaker be able to fix something like this for under $500.00?

Thanks for any tips!

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 7, 2012

This watch will need cleaning and service. There should be someone in the Vancouver area capable for a reasonable price. As to the Hour hand, it may be an easy fix or just need a part, but it would have to be examined first to say. Factor all of this in if you bid on the watch.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 7, 2012

Service on a Cal 861 can be pricey, if the hour hand isn't moving it could be a fair while since its last overhaul, and you can easily spend $500-700 on a vintage chronograph service. The movement doesn't look that bad but I wouldn't call it clean either, and there's no bracelet, so frankly I think its close to market value already for a broken head-only Cal 861

4. trim Dec 7, 2012

Hour counter is clutched off the barrel its probably not serious as Parts are still available.

5. Klipspringer Dec 7, 2012

Hi Forum,

This is gret information. My intention for a Speedmaster is to get a daily wearer rather than an exceptional piece for collecting purposes. That's why I am looking at either getting a new one and call it a day or save some significant money on an older piece.

By the way, I've found this forum really helpful and illuminating on all things horological!

Thanks again!

6. Klipspringer Dec 7, 2012

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 7, 2012

Or someone returned/cancelled sale.

8. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 7, 2012

I have been looking at this, my concern is that if it is a cheap and easy fix then the seller (an experience trader by the look of things) would simply get it fixed themselves rather than sell broken.
    Can any one comment on whether or not the rest of the watch is all present and correct?

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 7, 2012

Yea, that's my thinking as well, there are so many Speedmasters for sale, you can be picky and buy a used one that does work perfectly, don't pick this one up.