Forums Latest Members
  1. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 6, 2015

I'm following this auction on ebay, 201297591243,and have some questions. Based on the description, the seller has a difficult time reading. Based on the case number, the movement and serial numbers seem correct. I'm wondering about the hands. Although I found a photo of a similar time period C case with similar hands, the vast majority are different. Thoughts?
    Here are the best photos of the watch

face.JPG back.JPG movement.JPG inside caseback.JPG

2. peatnick Mar 6, 2015

Mine has stick hands though it is a couple years younger 26,xxx,xxx
    [​IMG]

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 6, 2015

Thanks. Can't tell if there is lume, from the photos, although the dial states there should be. Perhaps too many red flags or just too inconclusive?

4. peatnick Mar 6, 2015

As you noted there are other images of 168.017 with alpha hands, though not with lume dial, could be dial or hands were replaced on this?

Are you following because of the alpha hands or just the silver dial "c" case or something else ?

Reference is not rare and comes in a number of variations, most are readily available for $500 - $600

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 6, 2015

Not sure I understand the question.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 6, 2015

Picture is too out of focus to say anything about the dial. Hands are called "dauphine", not alpha.

Genuine Omega Watch Hands2.jpg

I also have seen early cal. 561 and 564 version of the "C" case with these hands.

But from this photo I can't tell if they are correct length.
    gatorcpa

GregH likes this.
  7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 6, 2015

Thanks. I requested better photos; let's see if the seller comes through.

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 6, 2015

I requested better photos of the dial but got another out of focus shot. I'm over this one.

dial.JPG
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 6, 2015

Gut tells me that it's probably OK. With no movement shot of clear picture of dial, I would only be interested if it were very cheap.

Talking like $200 cheap. And even then it's a gamble.
    gatorcpa

10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 6, 2015

That's the funny thing. The movement shot above, is of the watch. The case, calibre and serial number all correspond to what should be in the watch. It's the dang dial (lume) and hands that leave me scratching my head. The seller sent me another message that he would provide clearer photos this evening, when he gets home from work. Now, I'm intrigued.

11. cfw Mar 6, 2015

Looks like the dial says t swiss t at the bottom which means Tritium so the lume will be dead unless its been redialed, no lume wont bother me redial would, my '84 Tudor OysterDate's lume is dead and has been for a fee years, if the price is in the $500-$600 range go for it.

12. Sgt_Bilko Mar 7, 2015

I have wanted a 60s Constellation for some time now and finally added one to my collection yesterday. It's a 1966 Cal 564 but it didn't arrive with the strap as shown in the images below. I'm not entirely sure if it needs an 18mm or 19mm and there isn't much choice locally. The watch itself has a lovely solid feel from the golden era of Omega but I've seen various hand types on Constellations from this time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Mar 7, 2015
    rhetoric and Hijak like this.
  13. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 7, 2015

Yours is a 168010 and it can have both dauphine or baton hands. The C cases mainly have baton hands.
    BTW your watch needs 19mm strap

14. Sgt_Bilko Mar 7, 2015

Thanks I just had that confirmed by the seller as well for the strap size. I think this would really benefit from a nice period Omega buckle so I shall have to search online because there is no real choice locally.

15. Hijak Mar 7, 2015

Very nice looking example Bilco! Love the hidden crown Constellations.:thumbsup:

16. Sgt_Bilko Mar 8, 2015

Thanks Hijak, this was an unexpected find that appeared out of the blue. The hidden crown makes winding more tricky than on most watches but the purpose is to protect the crown from damage and as an automatic it shouldn't require winding that often. I just need to sort out a suitable strap now before I can wear it.

17. Hijak Mar 8, 2015

Well if you ever get tired of it please let me know!;)

18. Sgt_Bilko Mar 8, 2015

I managed to find a suitable strap earlier so I've been wearing it for a few hours now and it really is beautiful. Those photos don't actually do the watch justice. If this was a car it would be an Aston Martin DB5.

The only thing I'm finding slightly odd is that I think I can see an odd inconsistency in the sweep of the second hand that is slightly puzzling. From about 25 seconds right through to the 12 O'Clock marker it runs smoothly and looks like there are 3 mini beats per second. Then from around the 5 second point until 25 seconds it can appear a little irregular at certain points. I've never experienced this before.

Who knows when it was last used so I'll run it for a day or two to see how it keeps time. Like most vintage watches chances are it needs a service. I've listened closely and can't hear any variation in the beat.

Edited Mar 8, 2015
  19. Hijak Mar 8, 2015

Sounds like a service would do it good.:thumbsup: Pictures with the new strap?::popcorn::

20. Sgt_Bilko Mar 8, 2015

I am pretty busy at the moment with a work deadline but I'll try to take a couple pics in the next day or so.