Forums Latest Members
  1. Ryan77 Jan 16, 2016

Hi, apologies in advance I'm another new member with very little knowledge of Omega's let alone watches. I have for a long time wanted to purchase a classic vintage watch, something to keep and pass down to my son. Up until now I haven't really been able to afford one but no I can, I've started to look more seriously and it's an absolutely minefield. So I thought I'd start with this. I've been looking and really like this 1964 Seamaster 600. I was wondering if any of you kind people out there might be able to point me in the right direction or advise me on the originality of this watch and if the components are original or not.

Here are a few pictures of the watch. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Thank you all very much for looking at my first post. If there are any questions or you need any more information please let me know and I'll do my best to fill in the blanks.

Ryan

2. ConElPueblo Jan 16, 2016

Welcome on board, Ryan.

How much are you thinking of spending on the watch? Any specifik features or a certain style you are looking for?

3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jan 16, 2016

I have been wrong before (just ask my wife) but this one looks all correct to me. There is some spotting to the dial but I would guess it to be original.
    But hang around before you buy, others with more knowledge may disagree with my assessment.

4. Hijak Jan 16, 2016

Hello Ryan,

Welcome to the Forum, you've come to the right place.:thumbsup: The watch above on first look seems to be not too bad overall but I have a concern about it. It looks original except for the replacement crown (not a big deal) but looking at the dial, hour markers on the dial and the movement, it seems that this watch has had some type of water or moisture encroachment. If you look at the dial you can see the spotting as mentioned above and this along with the corrosion on the hour markers raises a red flag. Now looking at the movement, the discoloration of the copper color on the various parts along with the above evidence lead me to believe that this watch has had moisture inside over a period of time. These watches are fairly common (you can find a better one) and IMO this watch is a pass. I have a very similar watch to this one and like it very much. These Omega hand wound caliber 600 series movements are very robust and can be found at reasonable prices with some effort. Here is mine for reference...

image.jpeg
    Good luck on your search and check back with us to vet any watch you are considering. Also read up as much as possible, knowledge is your friend when looking for a vintage watch!:thumbsup:

DaveK and Rryan like this.
  5. Ryan77 Jan 16, 2016

Thank you for your response and your welcome. Well I was think in the region of £500 as a ceiling for a purchase price. I have always wanted a vintage watch. Simple face with minimal numbers or none. Date window optional. When I first started looking I liked the gold watches. I originally was looking for a Rolex 1940-1960's but all kept coming up with were Tudor's. Then my boss showed me Omega's and now they are all I can look at.

AveConscientia likes this.
  6. Ryan77 Jan 16, 2016

Hi Shaun, thank you. And will do. Looks like Hijak has replied with some good advice. Am just about to read it.

7. Ryan77 Jan 16, 2016

Thank you Hijak, all I can say is WOW! I really really like your watch!

Are you trying to sell it to me? If so its a done deal lol.

I will on your good advise carry on with my search and research.

Thank you.

8. Ryan77 Jan 16, 2016

Hijak, just out of curiosity, just looking at the dial on yours and the photo I posted, could you tell me pleaspe what the T stands for either side of the Swiss made at the bottom.

Many thanks.

9. Hijak Jan 16, 2016

Thanks Ryan, I like it a lot too and it is not for sale but I appreciate your interest.:) The T on my dial stands for tritium (might have spelt that wrong) which is the material applied to the dial and hands that glowed in the dark. Most modern watches use Superluminova (again with the spelling) these days. You can google radium, tritium and superluminova to learn more about these materials and the time frames they were used(and the correct spelling;)).

Ryan77 likes this.
  10. Ryan77 Jan 16, 2016

Your welcome. It's a very nice example of what I am looking for (just in case anybody else reading this is selling one lol). Arrrrrrrr I see. An old fashioned glow in the dark material. You sir are a wealth of knowledge and greatly appreciate your input. Thank you.

11. Hijak Jan 16, 2016

Thank you and my pleasure...just remember knowledge and patience are your friends when looking for a vintage watch!:thumbsup:

Also if you don't know about watchrecon.com you should...it's a sight that collects together watches for sale from many watch forum sites and saves lots-o-time when scavenging through the many forums for sales.

12. ConElPueblo Jan 16, 2016

13. Ryan77 Jan 16, 2016

Edited Jan 16, 2016
  14. ethanross Jan 21, 2016

very pretty

15. 1972Steve Dec 31, 2018

Where did you find that band?

16. Hijak Jan 2, 2019

17. hmmmcamu Jan 29, 2019

1964 Omega Seamaster 600 Calendar

DSCN3418.jpg DSCN3409.jpg DSCN3413.jpg DSCN3412.jpg DSCN3415.jpg
    rene4 and Hijak like this.