Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1964 reference 166.020 caliber 560 - not your ordinary Seamaster De Ville.

1. ulackfocus May 30, 2012

I have to admit I don't know what to ask for this one so I'll listen to offers. It can be described as anywhere from very uncommon to downright rare depending who you ask..... and no, I'm not including eBay sellers in that group. The best way to put this is to link you to Desmond's article on these:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B43...VjMC00YWVhLTk5ZTktY2MzMDM0MmI3MWRm/edit?pli=1

On the bottom half of page 3 is a paragraph about the less common "Adjusted Two (2) positions" variation of the caliber 560 - which this watch has inside. Even better, the dial is not the standard type with the baguette markers - it has numbers at 12, 6, and 9. Now the best part - it's a case reference 166.020... the ONLY one to come from Bienne with a caliber 560 (see page 9 and 10). All the others were fitted into US made cases as the article states. The last paragraph has a great tidbit of information too: only 3000 caliber 560's were ever made, making this a "rarity inside a rarity" as Desmond says.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close-ups of the dial - the watch is on the old strap that was tossed long ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caseback & crown/lug edge shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This watch is in marvelous shape. The edges are crisp and it runs like a champ, keeping time within chronometer specs. It was serviced 2 years ago by Sam Kalter in Philadelphia. Included is a new strap (short size) and it's original logo buckle. It's going on consigment with a specialty seller soon so if you want it make an offer. I probably won't list this on any other forum and I hate that I need to sell this one. Something like this should probably stay within the family, which would make me happier than some random Joe getting it, but there's no way I can go without air conditioning for a NJ summer :)p) .

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member May 30, 2012

Great watch, I would go for it but I've already picked up too many this month! :( Good luck with the sale, hope it goes to a good home. :thumbsup:

3. ulackfocus Jun 8, 2012

Watch is now sold. Thanks for all the inquiries!

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 8, 2012

Just curious, what did you get for it if you don't mind?

5. astrosfan Jun 8, 2012

It did go to a good home:)