Forums Latest Members
  1. Suprapunk Jan 29, 2013

Hi all.

My collection of early 60' watches grew last Friday when my dad gave me his Seamaster 300. He purchased it in Kristiansand, Norway in 1963 after returning from UN service at the Gaza strip. Mechanically it works superb, however there's a few obstacles to pass before it's in mint condition. I was hoping this forum might help me on my way.
    Firstly its the issue of the Bezel ring. Dad lost it in the mid 70' whilst trying to fix a broked down car.
    I would of course like to get hold of an original one, but Iv'e heard they are hard to find. Could other bezelrings from that era fit my watch? Then its the issue of dial and hands. Did omega use the same measurements for all early 300's In other words could other dials and hands fit my watch. My last question is this: How to trust online sellers of such spare parts. Which ones are trustworthy.

I would really appreciate som guidance on my quest.
    Supra....

2. Littleroger Jan 29, 2013

Any chance of a couple of photos? Makes it easier to give advice.
    Ta
    R

3. Dablitzer Jan 29, 2013

+1 !

4. Suprapunk Jan 29, 2013

Hi, Pic's in the making. Ref number on watch is ST 164.014, which probably means 62' mod.

5. MyVintageOmega Jan 29, 2013

Now there is a watch I know many members would love to see. I believe the 164.014 comes with 2 versions of hands. Look forward to the Images.....and welcome aboard!:thumbsup:

6. jwalther Jan 29, 2013

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 29, 2013

Can Aldo supply a bezel from scratch or just reprint an existing one?. Last I heard he only did the reprinting.

8. Melhadary Jan 29, 2013

This is true, Mike. I was last in touch with him in October of 2012, and he confirmed that for any restoration, he will need the original bezel to be sent to him, and that he stopped offering whole bezels to clients.

9. Suprapunk Jan 30, 2013

Here's the result of last nights photoshoot.
    Seamaster 300 Backside.jpg Seamaster 300 side.jpg Seamaster 300 top.jpg Seamaster 300.jpg

10. MyVintageOmega Jan 30, 2013

That watch has seen some action....the dial is a wonderful patina and in good shape. Nice strap also.:thumbsup:

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 30, 2013

I like that dial a lot actually and the hands aren't bad by any means, I'd personally get an expert to stabilise the lume on the hands , get it fully overhauled internally (including a new crystal and all seals) and start hunting for a bezel, as that one's worth saving.

12. Suprapunk Jan 30, 2013

Thanks for your comments. Its was last overhauled in 2008, but yes it has seen some action. Now back to my original posting. Any Ideas for bezelring? I'm not a 100 % purist so, a ring that fits is the most important for me. Could rings fitting the 024 fit the 014.

Supra......

13. Suprapunk Jan 30, 2013

Any experts to recomend?

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 30, 2013

Mike MSNWatch loves these and has a few, he'll chime in soon enough

15. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 30, 2013

Respectable Member Suprapunk

You have a lovely and original watch. Surely all members would love to see this watch, be brought back to its original glory. It will then be a joy, forever.

Thank-you.

16. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 30, 2013

Nice example. The bezel is very difficult to find by itself. If the watch has sufficient sentimental value for you the best bet would be to buy the same watch for its bezel and then send that one off to Aldo in Italy to be redone http://www.milwatchmaker.com/principale.php

It can't hurt to ask Aldo or Achim (watchyouwant) if they have any idea on where to find one separately.

I've also had success in the past sourcing some really rare parts from Rory here:
    http://mechanicalwatchsupply.com/Home_Page.html

And no, the 024 and later bezels will absolutely not fit this watch. Even among the different straight lug seamaster 300s there are tiny differences in fit between references.

17. Suprapunk Jan 30, 2013

Thank you so much for your input. The quest is on........ Anybody with info regarding bezel for the 014, please contact me at the forum. Again thanks.
    Supra.......getting older, no longer that punky......