Forums Latest Members
  1. WengerTodd Nov 26, 2019

Hi! I've jumped head-long into the watch hobby, and I've been buying, restoring, fixing, etc... Swiss watches for about a year. Last time I visited my parents, I was showing my dad some of the watches I've fixed (a Waltham, a Wittnauer, etc.) He opened a drawer and gave me his 1963 Omega Seamaster. This was a watch his parents gave him when he turned 21. My dad used to wear that watch every single day until about 2004 when it stopped self-winding.

Despite being covered in paint and the crystal being scratched, it was actually in really good shape. My dad used to wear it in the board room, and then when he'd get home from work, he'd change everything except his watch, and then start digging ditches / landscaping in his backyard. So the watch has had a hard life.

I'm comfortable totally disassembling the movement, and I cleaned, oiled (8000/4 oil), etc... and it's keeping excellent time. Unfortunately, the weight scrapes the back of the watch case, and the rose-gold coating is starting to come off the weight. Any idea what I need? I didn't seem to notice anything when I disassembled the movement... it just all went back together. I assume the bushing / bearing is worn... any advice, I'd appreciate it.

EDIT to say, the weight was scraping before I took it apart, and shock... it was still scraping after I reassembled it. It runs really nice, keeps flawless time. But the weight still scrapes...

Thanks!

Edited Nov 26, 2019
  2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Nov 26, 2019

You'll want to mention what caliber the movement of it is. Could be one of a dozen different ones.

Tom

3. WengerTodd Nov 26, 2019

Shoot... ok. I wasn't going to say it, but I'm deployed. So, I'll wait till I get back unless I can find an old picture on my phone. Thanks.

4. Canuck Nov 26, 2019

Typical problem caused by a worn rotor bearing gear. Could also be a rotor post problem, or loose retainer screws on the rotor post. Or, depending on the specific model, an incorrect generic reflector ring crystal not permitting the movement to seat properly in the case.

5. WengerTodd Nov 27, 2019

Thanks Canuck. So, the watch is 100% original, and I know it's not a loose retainer screw. So my guess is probably then a worn rotor bearing gear (would make sense). Is this something I can order? I'd like to keep the watch as original as possible. I don't have the movement with me, but I'll be home in two months and I can check it out then...

Thanks!

6. Canuck Nov 27, 2019

Depending on your background as a watch repairer, this may not be a job for you to undertake. Obtaining the part may (or may not) be the easiest part. Fitting the part to the movement, then fitting the new rotor bearing gear to the rotor post is the colour of another horse! And, I mentioned the fact that an incorrect crystal might contribute to a rubbing rotor. Can you make a judgement as to whether that might be a factor? Maybe consider having the job done professionally, if you value the watch.

7. DON Nov 28, 2019

Maybe worn bushing in the rotor. I usually hold movement dial up to see how much the rotor drops.

Could also be rotor axle wear, but guessing bushing would wear well before the axle

DON