Forums Latest Members
  1. karlos Jan 16, 2014

Hello! I am new on the forum, and I still have a lot to learn about watches, but I need an advice from the community.
    I am about to but this watch, which has (as the seller told me) been repainted. I am quite skeptical about the work that he did, because even with an uneducated eye I can see that the quality of the painting is pretty poor, especially around the Ω sign...
    Would you value most an original watch or a repainted one? Do you think other parts of the watch have been changed? And finally if you value the watch, do you think it is worth the 500€ I am about to pay it?
    I thank anyone who would be kind enough to help me in advance!
    Karl
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. karlos Jan 16, 2014

Let me just precise that the retailer is Indian... I see on forums lots of bad things on matches bought in this country... Are the rumors true? Thank you for your reply!

3. Hijak Jan 16, 2014

The reprinted dial kills it for me...this alone makes it not worth what he's asking for it. It also has an incorrect crown and the case is polished (bad thing) losing its original sharp edges. I would pass on this one, you can find much better easily!

4. ulackfocus Jan 16, 2014

I wouldn't buy a poor redial like that unless it was so cheap (like under $100) that it made sense as a parts watch.

5. Mothra Jan 16, 2014

You're the second person I'm going to say this to tonight....You already know the answers to the questions you are asking. You can see yourself the painting is poor. You know a repainted watch is worth less than an original and you know to be wary of watches from India.I think you know the movement shouldn't really be scratched up like that, and thanks to hijak you now know the crown is wrong and the case has been killed. Now given all this, you tell us if its worth 500 euros?

There are good watches out there. Stick with us and learn with us, or cheat and buy from the sales forum....

6. ulackfocus Jan 16, 2014

A €500 / $680 budget could buy you a VERY nice 60's Seamaster 30 or 600 series manual wind, right Hijak?

7. Selbo Jan 16, 2014

I'm a new guy to the forum and I'm in the market for a watch myself. The one thing I've learned from searching through hundreds of listings is to scrutinize a dial that looks incredibly crisp like this one. Assume the worst but review to be sure. As the experts on here have said many times, a vintage watch is 50+ years old. It should show some aging. Finding that nice balance of aging but still in excellent or good condition is what you're hoping to find. Google the reference number for a watch you're interested in and closely review the font of a mint example to your proposed purchase. This practice will help you get used to spotting a redial. When in doubt come on here and ask for an opinion. This group is extremely helpful and want you to find a good deal at a fair price. They'll help steer you in the right direction. And no offense, but if "Swiss Made" looks like something my three year old created with a fine point Sharpie, well, it's time to move onto another watch.

Mothra likes this.
  8. Hijak Jan 16, 2014

You are correct sir! Such as this...

Seamaster 600, 1.JPG

I paid a little more for this but it doesn't get a whole lot better as far as originality and condition are concerned!

There is also this one in excellent condition...

Wrist Shot, 4.JPG

And again I also paid even a little more for this but I did get a beads of rice bracelet with it. Both of these were purchased on this forum (in the for sale thread) from reputable members (are there any other kind here?) These are both all original and with patience you will see watches like them pop up in the for sale thread and on ebay. One suggestion though, vet the watches from ebay here first...there are many knowledgeable members happy to help you sort out the good ones from the crap! Happy hunting!:thumbsup:

dantaspaulo likes this.
  9. Hijak Jan 16, 2014

I'm really good at this!;) (see above)

Mothra likes this.
  10. Hijak Jan 16, 2014

11. Mothra Jan 17, 2014

I know!I know! Dennis. What do I win?

12. karlos Jan 18, 2014

Well, thank you very much for all your replies, which were really helpful. And thanks for giving all the information, really I didn't know everything you told me (I am just 17, I only have one beautiful watch I bought last summer, but which was not a vintage one...). I am going to look for another one, not painted not changed ^^ My ideal watch would be your first one Hijak! It is really exceptional... I didn't like the one you advised me because I am not a fan of gold... I would prefer buying a silver Omega. I tried to look on auction websites and found those... Again, tell me what you think about them (I guess they are better)! http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_5657wt_1220Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network https://www.chrono24.fr/omega/seama...ster--mod66.htm&models=66&manufacturerIds=187

13. Hijak Jan 18, 2014

That is understandable gold is not for everyone, I'm not a big gold watch guy myself. Well this watch looks like it has a ref. number of 136.012 (found inside the case back) and that should be a date model. The "6" is what denotes the date model in this reference. so this tells me that this is whats known as a franken watch. What this means is that someone built this watch from parts of other watches and that the case and the movement don't belong together. I'd stay away from this one!

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2014

I'm actually about to list a 1963 Calibre 562 automatic Seamaster Calendar hidden crown Ref 166.03 for sale that'd be about in your price range, original dial and stainless steel.

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2014

Specifically:

[​IMG]

16. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2014

Nice Seamaster Ash

17. Hijak Jan 19, 2014

Very nice Ash!::love:: That is quite a watch, at that kind of money it will go fast.:thumbsup: