1961 Seamaster Identification

Hey everyone,
here I am again with a question, this time regarding my grandfathers (88) Omega Seamaster.
He still has all the papers and even the original invoice if I'm not mistaken. Unfortunately he didn't keep/lost the box. So if anyone could tell me which would be the correct one, I'd try to find one to give him.

The papers state that the Seamaster was sold in 1961 and not much later, my grandmother gifted him the BoR currently fitted. The papers interestingly do not state a reference number, only the serial number of the watch.

I've been watching a lot of vintage Seamaster offers over the years, but I have not found a single one like this. Not to say that it is very special, I just have not seen this configuration.
Therefore, I'd really love to know which reference this one is and I'd be incredibly happy if someone knew in which box it came.

I'm sorry that these are the only photos I have at the moment. I have not met my grandfather (nor the watch) in more than one year due to covid (just a safety measure), so I can't provide additional photos at the moment.

Thank you!

I agree with Mr. Jim. Those hands are... unique.

PS How is the weather tomorrow?

GMT humor

As to the box.

In 1961 the box was simply something to take the watch home in, nothing like the monumental edifices that Omega produces today.

My 1965 Seamaster 600 came in a box like this. Your watch on a strap would have come in a similar box.

When I bought my watch, the lady asked me if I wanted to take the watch in the box, I said "No, keep it, I'll just wear it now" and walked out with just the watch.

Post a caseback picture? Probably a 2802.

"I'm sorry that these are the only photos I have at the moment. I have not met my grandfather (nor the watch) in more than one year due to covid (just a safety measure), so I can't provide additional photos at the moment.

Thank you!"

As to the box.

In 1961 the box was simply something to take the watch home in, nothing like the monumental edifices that Omega produces today.

My 1965 Seamaster 600 came in a box like this. Your watch on a strap would have come in a similar box.

When I bought my watch, the lady asked me if I wanted to take the watch in the box, I said "No, keep it, I'll just wear it now" and walked out with just the watch.
This was very common from what I understand- most people didn’t care about the box, it was just clutter.
I spoke with a jeweler that had been in the family business 3 generations. He said that they used to put watches in their store branded boxes when a customer would buy a watch as a gift and throw the factory boxes away- typically they were much nicer than what came from the factory. To us collectors that’s blasphemy- but once upon a time it was considered more upscale and free marketing.

I asked my dad about his wedding watch, what box did it come in? He said he walked out of the jewely store without any box.

Thanks to everyone!
Quite a shame the hands have been replaced. I always thought the shape was a bit odd (mostly at the lume filled section), but didn't realize they were replaced. I know he had it serviced some times (honestly, he is the guy to set a reminder on his computer to have it serviced ten years ahead), so it is very plausible. If it was mine, I would have them replaced with original ones - but let's hope he wears it in good health for some years to come and not pass it on too soon.

Regarding the box I have now, thanks to your input, changed my mind a bit. He does have a box to store it, maybe it is even the jeweller's one like @JwRosenthal mentioned. So it seems that the original box might be nice from a collectors POV, but he probably won't have any memory of the box if he never took it home. I think I'll rather spend the money some other way with him and not for a box he doesn't really need.

Probably a 2802
That does look like it and I also found one with exactly that dial - I don't think we'll get any closer without opening it (impossible at the moment) and I think opening will verify that. Thanks!

You mentioned the serial in the original post, what are the first 2 or 3 digits?

You mentioned the serial in the original post, what are the first 2 or 3 digits?

The serial starts with 1550... which would mean it's been on the shelf for quite some time if it was sold in 1961.