Forums Latest Members

1960s Seamaster DeVille - Issues with split crown popping out

1. sswiss_made Jun 5, 2017

First post here, so apologies if I am posting in the wrong place ::rimshot::. I recently purchased a 1960s Seamaster Deville. This particular model comes with a 14K Gold Bezel and SS sealed case. It is my understanding that most sealed case models come with a split crown mechanism. The watch winds and is keeping good time, however when I try to pull the crown out to adjust the time it pops out, no matter how careful I am.. I am able to pop it back in with a little bit of pressure.

All you Omega Experts out there, I need your opinion:

Is this an easy fix? Could this not be the correct crown? Is there a DIY solution.

pics for reference attached.

IMG_1901.jpg IMG_1921.jpg IMG_1922.jpg
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 5, 2017

The male part of the stem could be worn or the female/crown part could be incorrect.

A DIY solution would be to get a 1" micrometer and use it as a vice to squeeze the jaws of the stem in a bit to tighten up the fit to the male stem.

A better solution would be to take it to a watchmaker and get a new stem assembly correct for your watch.

sswiss_made likes this.
  3. sswiss_made Jun 5, 2017

Thanks for the advise! I think I will take it to my watchmaker this week.. Got a good deal on the watch so hopefully it's a cheap fix (-:

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 5, 2017

Both the stem and crown are not typical of those found on a SDV.

sswiss_made likes this.
  5. sswiss_made Jun 5, 2017

Not what I wanted to hear )-: - but definitely helpful! Any recommendations on where to find the correct part? I believe the movement is caliber 550 but I am having trouble narrowing it down.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 6, 2017

Your watchmaker will source the parts for you. They are readily available from Omega.

Cheers, Al

7. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jun 6, 2017

I have a female stem 081st9993 brand new, yours for the price of postage if you want. image.jpg image.jpg

sswiss_made and Davidt like this.
  8. sswiss_made Jun 6, 2017

Just curious. Will I need to source a new crown as well?

9. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jun 7, 2017

I do not think that crown you have goes with that watch. In my mind there 2 options.
    New crown and new stem =$$
    My stem and your old crown =$. This however this may still not fix your problem if the male stem is worn, or my stem doesn't fit in your crown.