Forums Latest Members
  1. AULLRICH Aug 30, 2017

Hi All - I'm very new to the vintage Omega world but feel semi-educated (still room to learn) based on all the lurking I've done on this forum over the past month. I'm looking to buy my soon-to-be husband a 1960's Omega Seamaster DeVille (date preferred, but not a must) and have been doing quite a bit of research as I want this to be a real forever piece that gets handed down later on, not resold for more $. That said, I have found quite a few Omegas on Ebay & other sites that just seem overpriced, over polished, and/or fake.

My fiancé has mentioned wishing he had a nice watch with a bracelet to wear with the suits he has to wear every day to work. Finding an SMD with its original bracelet has been hard, but I did find this post on Ebay the other day: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALL-ORIGINA...444846?hash=item4d6182d0ae:g:3EwAAOSwa2lZgdBuPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network . Seems too expensive to me, but do y'all think it's legit and not a franken?

Alternatively, I've found beautiful pieces that have a leather band and I would just buy the correct bracelet separately (ends being #70 with 18mm width I believe). Is that advised or should I just keep searching for one with the bracelet? Personally, I love these watches with leather bands, but hey - I'm not the one wearing it everyday. I did come across this one with a few scratches over at Quality Vintage Timepieces.com: 1966 Omega Seamaster DeVille with 550 movement and I think 17 jewels, case model 165.020 for $1,050 USD. The patina is aged a little but seems to be even? I don't have a keen eye for this yet though.

OmeSeaDVNDSUDSSfull.jpg

Any advice is much appreciated - you all seem like a great lot and I wish I had more funds to REALLY dive into the vintage world! - Allison

2. kreyke Aug 30, 2017

Way too expensive. And it seems polished as well. If you aren't pressed for time, a couple of good ones pop by on this forum once in awhile.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 30, 2017

Overpriced by at least two times.

4. AULLRICH Aug 30, 2017

Thanks @kreyke & @X350 XJR! Wedding is Oct. 14th, so I have a little time and will definitely keep my eyes out on this forum.

neilfrancis likes this.
  5. ConElPueblo Aug 30, 2017

What ever you do, make sure that the one you find has been recently serviced and make sure that it was done by someone knowing how to work on these. If not, it'll end up being a frustrating and unloved gift for the recipient.

AULLRICH likes this.
  6. DON Aug 30, 2017

This is just me talking, but in at least 8/9 out of 10 condition. Simple model like the De Ville is about $400 fully cleaned With bracelet in clean and not stretched condition. $550.00

For work. A nice plain black leather strap. For some models I used to restore. I also liked to use an all black lizard or small pattern croc strap

My prices may be a bit off, but these are not rare models, so don't over pay

DON

marco and AULLRICH like this.
  7. AULLRICH Aug 30, 2017

Thanks @DON! I'll definitely have to keep my eyes peeled on this site because I haven't seen any of these watches for sale at those prices yet. I even found a vintage watch seller here in NYC who is selling a Seamaster 30 for $950, but when I asked about the history of the Seamaster 30 (I did my homework on here before going to him) he said it was for the depth the watch could go and didn't mention the movement at all. Tisk tisk.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  8. ConElPueblo Aug 30, 2017

You will never find specimens at the price DON mentions at dealers, not a chance. Also, IMO it will be pretty difficult to find a serviced (that's what I read "cleaned" as, is that correct @DON?) Omega in presentable condition anywhere at that price, including private sellers. The Omega you've been looking at is THE typical entry-level Omega, so in my experience it usually carries a premium for no reason, considering rarity or technical prowess.

ChrisN likes this.
  9. ChrisN Aug 30, 2017

marco, chronos, Hijak and 1 other person like this.
  10. AULLRICH Aug 30, 2017

Thanks @ChrisN - I saw this one earlier as well, and while it's beautiful and extremely close to what I'm looking for, I think I have my heart set on getting him the Seamaster DeVille or the Seamaster 30/600 - those looks just fit him more, if that makes sense. I just saw this go up on Ebay, but the fact they don't show the movement and the fact that there looks like a bend just above the crown concerns me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Omega-Seamaster-Deville-Automatic-c-1960s-Original-Box/222628992719?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D43f3ed356b964c1b8f73eeeddce558f8%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D352154887701&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507 Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

And thank you too @ConElPueblo - I'm sure I'll be paying a "tuition fee" as I saw written earlier on buying his first Omega, but don't want to pay double what I should be paying for. I gotta keep hunting for the right one!

11. ChrisN Aug 30, 2017

Hi Allison

I dashed off the previous post so sorry for not using your name::shy::

That watch is only 31 mm so very small and also not a good price for me. I agree with @ConElPueblo that you won't find dealer watches at $400 or so but that one seems a lot for what it is. It looks like the movement comes out the front of the case so, if they can't be bothered opening it to show the movement....

Keep looking and putting them up here as you'll always get honest feedback. To be honest, eBay is an absolute minefield if you're not 100% sure of what you're looking at.

Regards, Chris

marco and AULLRICH like this.
  12. Edward53 Aug 30, 2017

I don't like that one. Wrong crown, I doubt those hands are correct, and where did the minute markers go?! It's usually best to avoid "professional" ebay watch sellers as most of them buy duds, fix them up and list them at excessive prices. Not all are like that but about 95% are, so until you get to know who's ok it's best to focus on "private" sellers. ETA: SM de Villes have a front-loading case that's awkward to remove the movement from so the lack of a pic isn't necessarily the seller hiding something.

marco, AULLRICH and ConElPueblo like this.
  13. ConElPueblo Aug 30, 2017

I would like to add that you're going to pay a significant premium for a couple of lines of text on a dial, on a watch that has no discernible difference in quality from a huge number of very, very similar watches. And that is only talking Omega. If you looked into Longines, Tissot and the like, you'd be right to question people's state of mind for paying the sort of money even standard, vintage Omegas demand.

Have a look in this thread: https://omegaforums.net/threads/2017-what-omega-did-you-buy-for-under-500.51171/ for some Omega inspiration.

Bear in mind that most, if not all, of the Omegas posted there will be in need of a service (easily + $100-200) and that most of the really nice ones there have been found by quite experienced collectors. There is another version of the thread with non-Omega watches that have even more drool-worthy vintage watches.

AULLRICH and Vitezi like this.
  14. kreyke Aug 30, 2017

The crown is the wrong crown.

Wait around. Get him something special. Plain white dials are very common. Get something textured or a rarer colour!

Edit: just saw the alternative watch in your opening post. The phone doesn't display long posts properly.

I have bought a couple of watches from quality vintage timepieces when I first started collecting. He is friendly and takes pride for the work he does. He has really nice pieces, doesn't deal with franken or redials at all and all of them come fully serviced. Some of the pieces might be a tad polished for hardcore collectors but I think his target audience is for people who would want a nice vintage watch that general population will appreciate. Buying from him would be fuss free for the normal sane population.

But of course, it comes at a premium. Nevertheless, I personally feel that his premium is priced quite competitively when compared to other dealers around me (UK).

Many collectors avoid dealers because of their high prices. High prices makes the watch difficult to sell or trade in the fixture. Ccollectors like me are fickle and we like to change our collection frequently.

However, if you're buying to keep the watch, something I'd expect your partner to do since it is a wedding present, sometimes a small premium is not too bad. With that in mind, I think it warrants for a watch that is slightly more special rather than a plain white SMDV.

Just my two cents :)

Edited Aug 30, 2017
  15. Edward53 Sep 2, 2017

@AULLRICH This one might look unpromising at first sight and is covered in crud but I think the damaged crystal is hiding a decent dial and would clean up nicely. He says it won't run, well I bet it would if it were serviced. The watch is clearly all original and could be a bargain BUT buying on ebay is always a gamble, however I'd buy it if I wanted one of these and lived in the US.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263172748242?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    upload_2017-9-2_10-9-4.jpeg

marco and ConElPueblo like this.
  16. ConElPueblo Sep 2, 2017

I concur.

My kind of watch, that!

17. AULLRICH Sep 2, 2017

Hey Everyone - apologies for going silent for a couple of days, I was doing some homework based on your suggestions, and I think you're all correct @ConElPueblo & @kreyke: I'm off the SMDV and onto exploring Constellations as they're more special and unique looking. The SMDVs kind of look like plain vanilla to me now! Thanks @Edward53 for sending over that Ebay listing - I actually saw it the other day and while it is cheap, I'm looking for something that's already finished and doesn't require me to do extra work (If I had more time I might have entertained that though). Will let you all know how the search goes, but I greatly appreciate all your help and advice!!

Happy Saturday!

ConElPueblo likes this.
  18. Edward53 Sep 3, 2017

You're setting an ambitious goal that won't be easy to achieve. I understand what you say about Constellations and I wish you good luck finding the right one, but be prepared for a difficult and frustrating search. They are about but there is a lot more competition for the nice ones than for the nice early Seamasters.

19. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 3, 2017

Hi @AULLRICH
    A Constellation would be a great choice but this is very true and lots of redialled watches on offer.
    There are also many variations of Connies - check out the show and tell thread if you haven't already done so.
    SS,gold cap, solid gold, pink and yellow, date, no date.

Try and pin down the style you like (case type and pie pan or dome dial)

Connies are generally more expensive - what is your budget?

Your timescale is against you but post target watches here for critique. (And prepare to be very frustrated...)

marco likes this.
  20. AULLRICH Sep 24, 2017

I thought I'd update everyone as to what I ended up getting...a beautiful 1964 Connie from @Tom Dick ! Below are a couple of the photos, but now I just need to find the correct BOR bracelet to finish this off before giving it to my hubby on our big day!

Thanks for all of the advice and tips @ConElPueblo, @Edward53, @kreyke, @ChrisN, @DON, and @Peemacgee!

IMG_7885.JPG IMG_7896.JPG

Luck7496, Edward53, Noddyman and 3 others like this.