Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1960s Rolex Oyster Date non-lume model ref. 1500 - 2K USD Shipped

1. kip595 Jan 16, 2021

This is much more of a catch/release than normal for me - it quite simply just doesn't fit as I'd hoped, and now I'm trying to recoup funds spent on a local find. So for anyone who wants a nice entry into Rolex, or just a solid 'daily wear' classic, here's a chance at a relatively sane price.

Reasonably well-preserved Rolex 1500 Oyster Date 34mm in all steel - this is a somewhat uncommon no-lume model.

The case has definitely been polished in the past, however the lugs do remain solid and in generally good shape; I feel the most 'worn' is the upper left side lug above the 11-o'clock marker. Please feel free to request more pics or a short video snippet.

I strongly suspect the hands are correct alpha-design replacement OEM, simply due to their cleanliness - most steel hands I've seen from this era show some signs of corrosion or at least tarnish. Date wheel also appears to be service albeit from a later era, however I have not had a chance to have my watchmaker verify this. The dial appears proper and likely original, with some very light age speckling.

While it has functioned very well in the few days I've worn it as always I recommend a service for a vintage like this before being worn full time. Watch will come on the black leather strap shown and include the 19mm brown DeLugs leather with stitching shown partially in the last pic - this strap displays some wear, the black leather has been worn twice. Both are quick release w/non Rolex buckles.

All in all a well used but taken care of example from early in the 1500 ref run, in the less commonly seen non luminated all steel design.

In full consideration of the condition I am asking 2000 USD - This is the lowest priced steel Oyster Date I can currently find in the U.S., and would like to pass on the opportunity to a fellow OF'er.

I will consider trades, however due to my recent vintage spree primarily upwards on modern stainless Rolex and Omega - cash to be added from my side as necessary.

Price includes CONUS shipping, insured, via UPS (I have had nothing but trouble with the postal service lately, and don't want any buyer worried about the arrival of such a piece.

*To note, when photographing the watch I noticed a small ding on the caseback probably from some random accident god knows when. The serial number, please be aware, is only very, very faintly visible due to wear from a previously ill-fitted strap or bracelet - will try to take a snap of this if I can find the right lens for my proper camera; my phone simply doesn't catch it. From what I can see, it looks to indicate 1963 manufacture. These factors have been taken into consideration for pricing it as such, as well as the lack of bracelet and possible service costs.

OD 3.jpg
    OD 2.jpg OD 1.jpg

DSC00272.JPG DSC00284.JPG DSC00285.JPG DSC00287.JPG DSC00288.JPG DSC00289 (2).JPG

Thanks for looking, and feel free to DM any questions! I have excellent refs as both buyer and seller.

*Will try to take more extensive (and clearer), sunlit photos when the weather here is nicer!

Edited Jan 16, 2021
  2. kip595 Jan 17, 2021

Bump o'the day - hope everyone had a great weekend!

3. kip595 Jan 18, 2021

SOLD! - and to a fellow OF member :) thanks to all for looking!

Edited Jan 19, 2021