Forums Latest Members
  1. PiePanJunki Sep 24, 2017

Hi, I have a 1960s (poss 1966) Pie Pan Constellation which needs restoration. The watch belonged to my late father and despite not being used for decades still works. The impressive engineering has got me hooked. I have researched Omega history. I have also managed to find the original box and leather strap (perfect condition). The rest of the watch needs some major tlc. I have been quoted over £1000 by a London restorer which seems excessive. The service alone is £425 including new crown and glass. The quote advised the dial needed to be restored as it is apparently oxidized and a further £425. I would like to restore and use this watch. The case no is ST 168005SP, calibre no 564, movement no 24.764.150.

I am concerned that any refurbishment is sensitively done. Reluctantly there is a balance between restoration costs and final value as a determinor of whether it is a sensible use of my money. I would be grateful of some advice. I can post pictures. Thanks.

2. BenBagbag Sep 24, 2017

Hey,

$450 is too much for a basic watch service. Get other quotes.
    Pictures will help us help you.

3. Gstp Sep 25, 2017

425 pounds is more like 580 usd, which makes your statement even more true.

@PiePanJunki if you post pictures you will get all the advice you'll need.

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 25, 2017

Service includes crystal and crown.
    But still far too much.
    There are a number of watchmakers that members use in the UK that will offer better value for you.
    As above pics are necessary for better advice on your Connie.

5. Edward53 Sep 25, 2017

The service quote is outrageous. A redial is dead money and is very rarely a viable option. It sounds like the "restorer" is trying to wring as much money out of you as possible. Post photos if you want help here.

Damo likes this.
  6. PiePanJunki Sep 25, 2017

Thanks for your responses will sort out pictures shortly - pleased my instincts were right!

7. PiePanJunki Sep 25, 2017

Hi
    As promised here are photos of the watch. As advised I have the original black leather Omega strap and the box. Unfortunately my father scratched his surname on the back - I have been advised this can be polished out.

Thanks 20170121_130022_001.jpg 20170121_130112.jpg 1506330679772172291219.jpg 15063307393741769687377.jpg 1506330679772172291219.jpg 20170121_130006.jpg

mikechi22 likes this.
  8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 25, 2017

Well apart from someone being a bit over enthusiastic in changing the strap and chewing the lugs you have a nice watch.
    Not sure what the mark around 6 is - looks more like glue than oxidation.
    I certainly would not have the dial redone as other than the mark it looks all original.
    I'd send your watch to someone like the Watchguy for service and to see if they can do something with the stain.
    Have the crystal polished (it looks original too) and retain the crown. (You can't replace these with a similar one)
    And put a nice leather strap on with the original buckle.

Edited Sep 25, 2017
    Vitezi and ConElPueblo like this.
  9. ChrisN Sep 25, 2017

I suspect a typo and @Peemacgee means "certainly would not".

Cheers, Chris

Davidt and ConElPueblo like this.
  10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 25, 2017

yup! ::facepalm2::
    :oops:
    fixed

Edited Sep 25, 2017
    ChrisN likes this.
  11. PiePanJunki Sep 25, 2017

Thanks for your advice - feeling a bit more optimistic. I note the typo 're the dial.

12. ChrisN Sep 25, 2017

It looks a nice watch and a nice momento of your father. If it were me, I would not refinish the case or polish his name off the back (you'll never see it anyway as it's on the back) as that is how he wore it. It will look far better with a polished crystal or a new one. I would replace the crown for water resistance as the seal is probably gone but, it's up to you. I have a slightly different opinion, as being a watchmaker, I prefer the water resistance because it helps with longevity.

By the way, the hands look a little short to me but, this may be an acceptable variation. Someone here will say for sure. Here's my similar model (long exposure so the second hand has disappeared!)
    DSC_6209.JPG

I also don't think that the original £425 for a service with new crystal, crown (and Omega mainspring/case seal, I assume) is that far out. You have at least £100 in parts there so, it's £325 for the service. They may also be allowing some extra for additional parts - a sort of cover all price for someone who is not a watch fanatic. That's a bit high but not a ridiculous price. You can probably get it done for half that but, do you really want to with this heirloom? Often, you get what you pay for. Bear in mind though that I don't know who quoted you that and they may charge a lot but still give a poor service. If it's a shop, then they have their own markup and if the watchmaker is not on site, he will probably only get half of what is being quoted...

Cheers, Chris

13. Edward53 Sep 25, 2017

Not sure replacing the crown is a good idea as that style is almost impossible to find and you'd end up with something ugly and out of scale. Personally I would keep the original and just try not to get the watch wet. Refinishing that dial would be a crime and whoever said it needed doing was definitely out to make money from you! Or maybe they are just totally unsympathetic to vintage - a bad bet either way.

You can get that watch serviced for a lot less, and a good sympathetic job done, by a number of watchmakers. My personal choice in the UK would be Richard Askham in Barnsley, who might be able to make the discoloration at 6 a bit less obvious. You may have to be patient as he is usually very busy, but it's worth it.

hoipolloi likes this.
  14. BenBagbag Sep 25, 2017

In my limited experience I see that most jewelers you stumble into have no sympathy for originality.

Edit to add: Honestly, I know I may get killed here but I think I would give the lugs a very light polish just to get the burrs out of the metal (but try to retain the facets!). I see what you are saying, those could be an eye sore. And the 6 o'clock could be a straightforward fix. I know someone in another thread was raving about the restoration work that @No Mercy had done with his constellation.

15. PiePanJunki Sep 25, 2017

Thanks Chris. The jeweler was definitely sending the watch away and my suspicion was that I was being hit with a mark up. I got the watch out of storage this morning and noticed that the discoloration at the 6 appears less. Some of the pictures were taken around Easter time. The storage location now is very dry. Interesting.

I have compared the hands to your photo and can confirm they are of similar length - poor light has affected my photo.

Regards, Karen

16. PiePanJunki Sep 25, 2017

Thanks Edward for the recommendation - will chase it up.

Regards, Karen

17. PiePanJunki Sep 25, 2017

Thanks Ben - will have a look at No Mercy (not a reassuring name)☺