Forums Latest Members
  1. hsk28 May 21, 2020

I'm getting my 1962 De Ville full serviced and I have a casual brown leather strap but I'd also like to get a strap that would be as close to the original as well.

I'm guessing it's 18/16 tapered black alligator leather?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Peppino_vintage likes this.
  2. Annapolis May 22, 2020

You might have a look at some of the old catalogs to get an idea. Here's one from '62: http://www.old-omegas.com/sea62en.html

eBay might turn up some watches for sale with original straps---that'll give you some idea too. I suspect you're right in your guess. If you don't care about actually obtaining an original strap with an original buckle (which could be difficult to do without actually buying a second watch that comes with those items), but are rather looking to recreate the look, then it should be fairly easy and not too expensive. For those older vintage Seamasters, I'd make sure to pick a strap that's 3mm thin or less--I've got mine on a 2mm strap and it's just right. ("Ultra thin" is a good phrase to search for.) Just my opinion---but those pieces are so elegantly slender, you don't want a strap that detracts from that.

hsk28 likes this.
  3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 22, 2020

That’d look great. Feel free to post a pic of your watch and a few strap choices if you want to have some fun

hsk28 likes this.
  4. hsk28 May 22, 2020

I hadn't even considered making sure it's thin, thanks for bringing that up. I've been looking on Etsy for a handmade strap, it's been a pretty reliable resource for custom straps and supports some small businesses as well. Thanks again for the reply!

Annapolis likes this.
  5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 22, 2020

hsk28 likes this.