Forums Latest Members

1959 Alpinist Recreation!

1. AveConscientia Feb 25, 2021

kip595 likes this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 25, 2021

I like it, but have to call it (only) a triple, as I would would far prefer a non-date. And as others have noted, no "Alpinist" signature?!

36.6mm is a perfect "modern" size, though.

Of course I'll stick with my original...

[​IMG]

Edited Feb 25, 2021
  3. kip595 Feb 25, 2021

I was THIS close to narrowing down my Seiko selection to 3.... ::facepalm1::

AveConscientia and Tony C. like this.
  4. Walrus Feb 25, 2021

That’s really interesting. I think my simple green alpinist is one of my favorite watches. I really like the look of this. How many Ltd/special additions does seiko do a year? Most of them seem to move as well. @Tony C. that is a remarkable piece you have there seiko really has sucked me in over the years.

Tony C. likes this.
  5. sleepyastronaut Feb 25, 2021

Would have been nice to see Seiko bring back the vintage Alpinist logo:

Screenshot_20210225-190339-01.jpeg

rcs914, Pun, Stewart A and 4 others like this.
  6. AveConscientia Feb 25, 2021

I agree that’s the watch’s greatest flaw in my mind(or the lack of the original white dial)

rcs914 likes this.
  7. JohnRaz Feb 26, 2021

This watch looks so great ! I try to limit my collection of Seiko too, it's quite impossible they release so many good pieces all the time :confused:

I love this retro index marks and the dimension of the case is perfect to me, it reminds me the Rolex Explorer a "watch for everything" put a leather strap it's a dress watch, put a nato its an all day casual watch.

The only minus to me are the price that is a little high and the lack of the iconic "Alpinist" mark. It's the most specific element on the original dial and they forgot it ::facepalm1::

The new date is very well integrated.
    I am sure this piece will be quickly sold out.

Edited Feb 26, 2021
    jaegodylan likes this.
  8. smoothsecondscom Feb 26, 2021

Lovely! Damn, that strap is ugly though.

9. jaegodylan Feb 26, 2021

I think it looks pretty great and I love the bund strap. Do wish they had left the date function off though.

the pricing is pretty skewed here in the UK it’s £2700. In the US $2900. At current exchange rates that works out to $3760. Even if you remove VAT that comes to £2250 which is about $3130. If you are purchasing in Las Vegas for example you’d pay $3140 after tax.

I guess that’s the peril of 20 percent VAT.

Pun likes this.
  10. smoothsecondscom Mar 4, 2021

Wow, that is some steep pricing. I don't know what it is with Seiko (and citizen too for that matter) asking 1000+ for relatively standard watches. Same thing for the King Seiko or some re-editions/limited editions. They're just not worth it in my opinion. Grand Seiko has some great pieces that are (easily) worth their money, but Seiko should stop trying.

11. JohnRaz Mar 4, 2021

I am agree with you, for 2 K more you can get a Sknowflake Grand Seiko. Or you can have a great true vintage from Omega or JLC and not a re edition from vintage.

12. rcs914 Mar 4, 2021

Knock a zero off the end of the price and they have a great watch. I'm not seeing $3K in value here. Especially when they leave "Alpinist" off the dial. I don't really understand re-issues that sell for more than mint condition vintage pieces of the same watch would. I mean I may be off in this case - really not sure what the market value of a '50s Alpinist really is, but this just seems WAY too high for a Seiko that doesn't have "Grand" in front of the name.

I mean that's the same price as the 55th Anniversary Automatic Chronograph SRQ031!

Ok, I went and looked further - that's only the Limited Edition that is that price, and frankly I don't like the looks of it nearly as much as this one, which is $750:

[​IMG]

Still needs Alpinist on the dial though.

13. JohnRaz Mar 5, 2021

I dont like this model, I prefer the limited edition, the date kills the symetry of indexes and the big cross X is too modern for a vintage design re creation, I am agree it still needs Alpinist instead of this X 20 bars than everybody doesnt care. Honestly it's a nice watch but it doesnt look right for a re creation of the original Alpinist, they should keep the original design, maybe give it a more modern case shape and a more modern size with new applied Seiko and it was far enough.