Forums Latest Members
  1. topfox59 May 13, 2021

Good afternoon everyone
    Hoping for some advice on the above watch. Details below. I’m looking for a watch whivh is a theatrically pleasing to me, of a quality that is worth its price and most importantly not a dud.
    I’m not looking for a watch(s) as a collection and must be pristine/original as possible. For example if the dial has been replaced I would like to know but that isn’t a deal breaker
    The above watch is on eBay 284289041530
    Pic is here, I plan to bid but know wish to get ahead of myself as I’m sure others will be along. Any advice greatly received

6A35AEED-AF5D-441C-B9C8-E6998D9855C6.png
  2. topfox59 May 13, 2021

Apologies for the spell check

3. Passover May 13, 2021

This one is clearly a dud so avoid!!!

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 13, 2021

That one is a DUD, very poorly refinished dial despite what the seller says.

5. Passover May 13, 2021

::puke::

[​IMG]

DaveK likes this.
  6. topfox59 May 13, 2021

Ok this is exactly what I wanted to read- many thanks
    Will carry on looking!!
    Russ

7. topfox59 May 13, 2021

Some quick questions, the answer which I'm hoping can add to my knowledge when looking for my new/old watch.
    How can you tell the dial has been refinished, it looks very original to my untrained eye (which I'm sure is the intention) but clearly to the more experienced eye there are some glaring faults - what are they?
    Also I except the movement doesn't look good but I was aiming to have the watch I select serviced.
    Who is the recommended go to person for a reasonable cost, what would be the expected cost and could for example the above movement be brought to a condition which is acceptable.
    Thanks in advance
    Russ

8. cristos71 May 13, 2021

That watch above was a dog.

Here's a good starting point for you which will answer some of your questions

https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

9. MtV May 13, 2021

While they’re more that would need a better picture to show clearly (font, thickness of writing, positioning and alignment of text), one major thing is the sunburst finish of the dial, which didn’t exist in 50s 2852 Constellations.

10. topfox59 May 13, 2021

Thanks everyone interesting information
    Russ

11. topfox59 May 14, 2021

Yes that link was very helpful and already helped me identify a few ‘dogs’
    The difference between a dog/dud and an excellent/worthy watch is imp
    Thank you that link was very useful and already helped to weed out some ‘dogs’
    What has become clear is the almost imperceptible signs between what is a dog/dud and a excellent/worthy example.
    For example if I could compare watches to the classic car world and the importance in some eyes of a truly immaculate, never restored, hardly rolled a mile with all the labels, hoses, tyres and other OEM parts still as it left the factory example. Trailered to shows, sat in a heated locked and bolted garage under a dust sheet they are a joy to behold (from some distance). Sometimes they are even started before being rolled back into the trailer for the trip home.
    Compare that to my own 1967 Volvo 1800S, used for 90% of the year, well maintained and with a ‘patina’ from 6 owners that all adds to its history. There are some changes, Three 35amp fuses have been replaced with a complete fused and relayed electrical system, lights have been upgraded from the woeful 1967 bulbs, tubeless radials replacing original crossplies.
    It starts first time as a electronic ignition has replaced a rubbish point system and rolls down the road on more comfortable gas shocks than the hard as nails oil units not at home on pot holed British roads.
    these changes have been implemented over its 54 years by 6 owners that have enjoyed the car and wish for it to continue to run. it’s immaculate due to good maintenance and a fantastic respray in 2 pack waterproof modern paint rather than banned soft cellulose paint.
    However, take it to shows and it’s a dog compared to the trailer queens. Never expected to be on a rostrum and that is to be expected. Maintaining these pristine cars to their original unrestored specification takes considerable effort and the owners band together to ensure that originality is the primary concern- and rightly so. However the difference in price between the ‘daily driver’ and the trailered car, is unbelievable. In the case of my 67 Volvo £50K. Look at a Jag E Type and it’s considerable more.
    However, the experience is the same, and more importantly this experience is more available to a far wider, more appreciative audience. The car they want to drive/own because their Dad had one. They can’t afford the £80K version but the £30K is within budget, has an ‘MOT’ and can be enjoyed for 90% of the year.
    Where can such a ‘car’ be found, tells the time, won’t be hiding a quartz movement but has a degree of inaccuracy Thats charming, with a pleasure to reset every day. The bodywork with scrapes and dings that tell a story of the past owners, the love they held for the item and in turn the next owner.
    Am I the only person looking for such an item. Is advice available that highlights the inaccuracies, recommends a service which will allow it to run with an expected/charming accuracy less the +\- 5 mins each day and if not suggests a price which could bring the item to a condition that does suffice? To allow the person to wear it for daily use and enjoy its history.
    Does such a thing exist!
    Russ

12. Passover May 14, 2021

Pictures please! :)

13. topfox59 May 14, 2021

Here you go. A selection including rebuilt ‘upgraded’ engine

52DA2FDD-E71A-4EA0-A828-290F7FBD0120.jpeg 76D3AA01-B0FA-4F68-8924-DBACCBFEDAA9.jpeg CD1EBCDF-6342-48D8-8A8B-8A8208BAEC41.jpeg