Forums Latest Members

1957 Trilogy bracelets- what's the deal!?

1. thevespabandit Jun 3, 2017

Hey all,

So I'm wondering what's the deal with these new bracelets? They look great and are channelling some old school 1039/1035 vibes. Does anyone know how they compare to the originals in dimensions, look, construction etc etc?

Cheers guys

2. Vintagewtchzilla Jun 3, 2017

they look very nice, but are much more solid, heavier, the clasp is thick so they don't have the same wear /charme as the old ones. they match perfectly the trilogy models so is as usual it really depends on you ....

3. thatonewatchdude Jun 3, 2017

They are in every aspect what the 1039 needed to be.

4. M'Bob Jun 3, 2017

Less flimsy, for certain. However, the addition of the spring links in the old, flat-link bracelets gave a more forgiving fit over a wider variation of temperature changes than any of the modern bracelets I've tried.

5. Davidt Jun 3, 2017

Everyone loves to say the old 7912/1039 etc is flimsy. I'd love to hear from anyone who has lost a watch due to a failure of a vintage Speedmaster bracelet.

IMO the modern bracelets are heavier than they need to be, to give the impression of durability.

micampe, isaac.owen.nz, River and 7 others like this.
  6. M'Bob Jun 3, 2017

I completely agree, we are getting caught between multiple meanings of "flimsy." The old flat-link bracelets are insubstantial, compared to their modern counterparts, but certainly not prone to breakage, did their job perfectly well, and frankly, I don't see any improvements in the modern designs. Heck, even removing the spring links are a relative pleasure compared to fumbling with those teeny screws that love to hide in the carpet fibers.

Vintagewtchzilla and LawBrk like this.
  7. Meme-Dweller Jun 3, 2017

I just wish they would make a 20mm version to fit the modern Speedy. Would look way better than the current bracelet.

Lonestar, g-boac and Foo2rama like this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 3, 2017

Amen brother. You can still get a 1171 but...

9. g-boac Jun 3, 2017

I couldn't agree more.

The new bracelets look great, and have good weight to them - not too heavy at all. If I were to offer one suggestion, they basically took the current 1998/849 bracelet clasp, and put and embossed Omega logo onto it. I would suggest getting rid of the current large clasp, and consider another design. But even with the clasp as-is, it is a huge, huge improvement from the current 1998 bracelet, which will all due respect, is right for the mid-90s, but neither classic/timeless, nor modern 2017.

10. g-boac Jun 3, 2017

I'd love to see Omega make the removable links spring-links!! Imagine what a comfortable fit AND classic, timeless look this would give the current production Speedmaster!

11. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 3, 2017

The new bracelets also have a quick-adjust feature in the clasp, similar to the Seamaster 300 Coaxial. You push a spring inside the clasp and adjust it for size. Pretty neat... does make the clasp a bit thicker however ...

12. Df13 Jun 3, 2017

Yep, and I think the same can be said about current Rolex bracelets, too.

13. thevespabandit Jun 4, 2017

Wow what a response- thanks for all of your input guys.
    Interesting to hear some of you guys reinforce that the old bracelets are quite good... I read somewhere, and not sure if it can be substantiated here but one of the reasons the JB Champion bracelet was used during the early NASA years was because it actually broke apart easier than the 1035/1039 bracelets.

It seems like these new renditions are channeling the classic styling with 21st century touches... very interesting stuff indeed!