Forums Latest Members
  1. MikeR. Jan 16, 2020

Hello - I'm new around here and was hoping to gather some opinions while also (hopefully) adding something of interest to members. I have a 1956 Seamaster Calendar (2849SC, 503 mvt) in solid 18k gold that I inherited; It is in rather pristine condition and upon having serviced, seems to be all original (besides new IMG_20200115_094200737.jpg Omega back.jpg Omega strap and crown was not 100% verified) with no reconditioning. This seems to be a rather rare piece and I can't find a ton of information on it except one was sold in a 2017 London auction for around $4,500 https://www.vintagegoldwatches.com/product/omega-seamaster-calendar-18k-pink-automatic-1956/. The watch is very nice but I like wearing more modern watches (currently a stainless Seamaster Professional) and was just looking for opinions on the watch and wondering if it is indeed rare/collectible....I may consider selling or trading since I would like someone to enjoy wearing it. I'll add some {horrible, I know] photos. Thanks for any insight! Mike R.

2. janice&fred Jan 16, 2020

how many of them were included in that price? :D

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 16, 2020

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately your watch has a refinished dial (a bad thing), a fake strap, a replacement crown and has been very heavily polished, so it's not collectable.

Put it on eBay with no reserve with lots of good photos and you'll get what it's worth.

hejsam, Dan S, DaveK and 3 others like this.
  4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 16, 2020

Emphasis on good photos.

DaveK likes this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 16, 2020

The pictures are poor but the text under the logo does look at bit cramped so it could indeed be a redial but I would want to see more before declaring that as definitive personally. Here is my no date version, a 2846 from 1957. I think your price expectation is way over the top. An all original solid 18K SM might make maybe £1k-1500 depending on condition, any more and you are into gold Connie territory. Chronometer rated models make more but ours are not. And I am maybe being optimistic as an existing owner!

IMG_2439.jpeg

janice&fred likes this.
  6. Vanallard Jan 16, 2020

Here are some comparable sales on eBay, assuming the dial is refinished, which seems likely.

926E2F07-7517-4F6D-BE2B-1D0D5C3462E2.jpeg 38E83326-DD2C-44E4-819E-91FF794750A1.jpeg
  7. MikeR. Jan 16, 2020

Thanks for the insight - the strap is obvious and the horologist did mention the crown as suspect, but did not mention anything about the dial being refinished (which is strange considering who I received it from); the inside is supposedly immaculate. My research found the London auction linked in my first post which made me think a solid rose18k was rare...in any case, I have plenty of nicer watches to wear and the gold value may be close to what watch is worth at this point... so maybe I will hold for now.

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 16, 2020

You are correct!
    gatorcpa

9. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 16, 2020

Back in its day when this watch was just a watch (and not a collector's item) it was more common that it could be redialed during a service. This doesn't mean it was fake or less then sincere, it could just mean that the original owner got the watch damaged in some way that was (not so artistically) repaired during a service.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  10. MikeR. Jan 16, 2020

Well, I just spoke to the horologist who serviced the watch; he indicated the dial wasn't refinished/replaced [in his opinion] and indicated he has worked on plenty of vintage Omegas and does work for many stores in the area. It doesn't mean he's right, just an old-timer and not a certified Omega dealer....he also said to never scrap it and would give me "considerably more" than scrap value for it (which may be $100 more for all I know). Also, some of the "comparable pics" given really aren't the same; my watch is a calendar and 18k rose gold.

Thanks everyone [who was helpful] for the feedback; I don't need to sell the watch, but my interest was piqued when I thought it may be a collectible piece and could possibly get it into better hands. Unfortunately, I don't see the iPhone generation looking to collect vintage watches 30 years from now!

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 16, 2020

If you can wipe the Vasiline from the cellphone lens and get a clear picture, we may be able to see enough detail on the dial to express an opinion on a redial or not.
    gatorcpa

kkt and janice&fred like this.
  12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 16, 2020

Post a couple of much better photos of the dial when you have a chance. Best to avoid bright light/ flash, and take from a distance and use the zoom. That will help ensure the dial is in decent focus and glare will be minimized.

13. Vanallard Jan 16, 2020

Got to love it when a noob finds opinions helpful only when they jive with their own (generally uninformed) views... how could I/we have missed the premium that collectors pay for a Calendar model :rolleyes:

14. MikeR. Jan 16, 2020

So, if all Seamasters are widgets and their value all the same, then why didn't you include this 18k rose gold that sold for $2,800? https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-SEAM...072692?hash=item23c9e4d5b4:g:7UUAAOSwb9RdwNekPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network. The fact that I thought mine being a 1956, calendar, solid rose 18kt and not a Deville mattered at all (good or bad) is hardly a reason to get your panties in a bunch; perhaps it does not matter and all gold vintage Omegas are worth the same amount...but that is not the norm for other high-end watches and I doubt the norm for Omegas either. I have no views to "jive" with and hardly holding my breath on "striking it rich" with a watch worth the least amount in my collection.

Partagas likes this.
  15. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 16, 2020

Yep, you can almost hear the bubble of optimism bursting as the 'put some foggy pics up and sell it to a watch nerd for £3K' has become 'those nasty meanies are saying its not very original and are ignorant of its true hidden beauty.'

Clearly we are not worthy, trot along to ebay and make your mint. You aren't entitled to tout it here anyway.

Edited Jan 16, 2020
  16. MikeR. Jan 16, 2020

I don't recall touting it ....nor will it be sold on ebay. Clearly some are in a different league when it comes to watches and I've already spent too much time on this....thanks to all who were helpful, I will hold or perhaps sell to the horologist. To the cranky old ladies, ie "esteemed troublemakers", keep feeling inadequate....

17. ilayd Jan 16, 2020

Vanallard included past sales of Seamasters which had a REDONE dial, showing how much you can expect to get from those. Those and yours are likely to get the gold scrap value, and maybe a little more if someone purchasing it is not savvy enough to pick that up.

The one you linked here is with an original dial and in good condition. The dial is not redone, and the case has not been polished smooth... retaining its original shape. Those two issues are major in vintage watches and their value.

Again, as other's have said, post a clear picture of the dial and if it turns out to be authentic, then the value would be higher than just gold scrap. As far as the offer you have received, if the "horologist" is willing to offer you more than scrap value, go for it before he changes his mind... if you intend is to sell it. Since you inherited the watch, and if it has sentimental value, then it doesnt matter if its redialed or polished.... it belonged to whoever had it before, and if that is important to you, just have it serviced (which it sounds like you did), and just wear it and enjoy it as is.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  18. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 16, 2020

You asked for answers; answers were provided. You didn't like said answer so you started getting pissy, causing the extremely knowledgeable members--who happily answered your initial questions--to react negatively. Then you start calling them names. Being a douche will earn you no favors here.

19. Dan S Jan 16, 2020

How much is my watch worth? It was purchased from a reputable dealer, and I saw one just like it sell for $10k at an Antiquorum auction. I really value your expert opinions. Sorry about the bad photo ... stupid iPhone. Oh, and by the way, if anyone wants to buy it, please send me a message.

Picture1.png

nicks and vicsdca like this.
  20. janice&fred Jan 16, 2020

Lord Have Mercy that's one gorgeous example you got there!

kkt and padders like this.