Forums Latest Members

1956 Seamaster cal. 501 2846-2848 SC reface advice needed

1. Pjberr Nov 21, 2018

So, this was my father's watch, now my daily wearer, love the look and feel going to keep it. Have spent countless hours trying to get more information on this watch and have dug up the following; serial number starts with 15 so it's a 1956, Seamaster DeVille with solid gold dial, unique gold block markers and raised Omega, gold filled case and ss pressed in back. Research says the 501cal. is chronometer certified but not in the Seamaster?

Have no idea of what it's worth value wise, prices seem to run from $500 US to over $3000? Hoping it's the lower end because, don't say it, I opened it up to clean the face with a cotton swab and alcohol, turned out beautifully but, the markings on the dial are all gone. Used to say "Automatic", "Seamaster" and "DeVille" with second markers around the outer edge of the dial. Would like to have the words back but not the second markers.

Want some recommendations as to where I can get it done so it doesn't look like some hack job and how much is reasonable to pay. Have grown fond of the naked face but a little closer to original would be better. I know I shouldn't have....

What's the deal with the 501 movement and chronometer certification in some watches, like the Constellation but, not the Seamaster? Is it just initial adjustment at the factory or some other hoodoo voodoo? The hour markers are of a block style that I've not seen on any omega in my research to date, where they a special order or just uncommon? My father bought the watch new in 1956, before getting married and having kids, probably in Toronto, possibly in Holland.

The almost imperceptible writing I see scratched into the back cover has what may be dates and initial of a service technician perhaps. My phone camera doesn't really show them in the pictures, is this a common practice? My wife's Girard Perregaux, her father's, has similar markings. Seems odd to graffiti up the inside of a watch.

Thanks in advance for your input. Peter

20181119_130919.jpg 20181118_000749.jpg 20181118_000017.jpg 20181121_130939.jpg

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 21, 2018

Its a Seamaster 2846. The case was also used for the 2848 but that has a sub second movement. 501 never was certified, that is the 504 and 505. Is the dial solid gold? You sure? Whatever, the fact the dial is now sterile kills the value. as it is it is nearer a $500 watch than the other number I am afraid. I am also skeptical it originally had DeVille markings so the dial may have been swapped as the SMDV was more a 1960s 55X moment design. I guess this could have been a precursor but the links I found for the 2846 just said Seamaster, no DeVille.

3. Davidt Nov 21, 2018

If they dial previously said DeVille it had already been refinished so value was already seriously reduced.

It won't be a solid gold dial in a gold plated case either.

Value will be around $300

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 21, 2018

Plenty of 19-jewel chronometer caliber 501s used in the Constellation.

padders and Pjberr like this.
  5. Pjberr Nov 21, 2018

The watch is all original, my dad had it since I was knee high to a grasshopper. It did indeed say deville, I wiped it off all by myself and yes, like you, the reference in that Japanese book was the only one I saw and didn't say deville for this model/year. It also appears there are no definitive references except for the factory and $200cdn to get the data sheet on it is not in my budget. When I was about 12, 58 now, I remember the four o'clock marker had come loose and the watchmaker, who happened to be a neighbour, had to reinstall it. I sat there across from him at his desk watching him work on this tiny little thing.

As far as the 501 cal. never being chronometer certified, the Omega site; https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-seamaster-omega-ot-2909
    References a 501 chronometer and this document below also shows 501 as chronometer certified in the Constellation. I've been doing my homework and was looking for some real info not opinions on the original state of the watch.
    Screenshot_20181121-105754_Firefox.jpg

Let me reassert; this watch is all original as Omega made it. I've lived with it all my life. Not ever refaced, nor repainted, always hoped to end up with it and have had it since my father's passing some four years ago. So yes, I know my wiping the face trashed the value, that wasn't my point. When I had it out, cleaning it, the back of the face was clearly visible and shiny gold, not brass nor bronze. Is there someone skilled enough to redo the original writing at a reasonable cost that won't look like the obvious hack jobs I discovered reading about in how to fish? Any thoughts on the hour markers that do not appear anywhere I've been able to find?

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 21, 2018

The Seamaster DE VILLE was never fitted with a caliber 501 and never graced any case style (snap back, heavy lugs) like this either.

The dial was likely refinished in period when your father had a service done, this practice was quite common.

7. Pjberr Nov 21, 2018

I'm pretty sure your estimation of value is correct. However, knowing that the face is in fact gold, having seen the back of it and, knowing my father is the original owner, leads me to think it was a special order. It was like him to do that. Gold plated stainless steel because it was more durable and the gold face because it would be unique.

8. Pjberr Nov 21, 2018

Never say never. I'm tempted to ask the factory. Seeking donations for a lookup =)

9. Davidt Nov 21, 2018

Never.

When these watches were daily wearers, used for accurately and clearly telling the time in the period before quartz and mobile phones, these watches were often redialled as standard during a service. It certainly wasn't originally a DeVille.

How did you determine the dial material from seeing the back of it?

Pjberr likes this.
  10. ConElPueblo Nov 21, 2018

In that case your father was the man behind the DeVille line of Omegas - it wasn't used on any Omegas until later in the 60's...

I'll echo the other knowledgeable members and say that it has probably been redialed earlier on. Certainly work has been carried out at a later point, seeing that both crown and seconds hand are replacements.

Pjberr likes this.
  11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 21, 2018

It looked shiny. :rolleyes:

12. Pjberr Nov 21, 2018

I know that I'm a newbie at this official omega watch thing. I have, however done my research and read everything I can find about the 1950s Seamaster and have known this watch all my life. It has never looked any different and I wiped the face because it was filthy. The first few dabs of the swab started to remove the writing on the face but once in I was committed. Or should have been ;) Either way, I know what was written on it and how it has looked so, for the sake of argument, let's assume what you see is original and that it's a Deville with an original 501 20 jewel cal from 1956. Not selling it, so that's not me trying to inflate the value with BS. A service upgrade of the face to solid gold doesn't make sense really, and the 20 Jewell movement is precisely 1956 production vintage. Opinions are nice but give me some facts or point me towards something similar. This watch being special order is not out of the question for my father who travelled extensively in Europe at that time and being an engineer wanted things 'just so'.

13. Pjberr Nov 21, 2018

=P
    lol it is indeed.

14. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 21, 2018

We have given you facts, nothing similar will be found because Omega NEVER made such a thing as you describe.

15. Davidt Nov 21, 2018

No ones disputing the movement. I think the movement, case and dial all started out life together and the serial no of the movement points to a reasonable date of manufacture given the known history of the watch. Plus, this movement was found in this case ref.

However, if the dial is original to the watch it didn't originally say DeVille as no DeVilles came in these cases, nor were they in production at this time.

There are two likely scenarios:
    1. The watch was redialled at service in the 60's/70's. This is the most likely scenario.
    2. A different dial was transplanted into the watch sometime after the mid 60's.

You haven't confirmed how you're so sure the dial is solid gold?

Pjberr likes this.
  16. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 21, 2018

You are basing your stance on many rocky assumptions. Firstly how can we assume the dial originally said DV when no other 2846 with it has been seen. Secondly the 15m serials ran into 1957 so your certainty over date is also flawed unless it is a particularly low serial. You haven't stated why you are so convinced the dial is solid gold. That is occasionally seen on Constellation models but not to my knowledge Seamasters, even solid gold cased ones from 1956/7. I have one by the way, a solid 18K 2846 with a non chronometer 501 movement so am not just pissing in the wind with my comments. You say you don't want opinions but facts. Well the learned opinions on here that there were no mid 50s SMDVs is rather telling. Yes it may have had such a dial in your memory but I bet it didn't leave the factory like it.

Edited Nov 21, 2018
    Pjberr likes this.
  17. palkastu Nov 21, 2018

I cant disagree with anything of what the experts here are saying because I too believe that its a redial, solid gold or not.

But what I can do is give you an advice that can give you all the facts you need. Order an extract of the archives directly from Omega.
    The extract will tell you when the watch was produced, where it was delivered and the name of the model.

Pjberr likes this.
  18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 21, 2018

@Pjberr, are you sure that the dial didn't say "DeLuxe" and not "DeVille"?

[​IMG]
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/fs-omega-seamaster-deluxe-ref-gx6565-circa-1957-1999.79511/

Omega made a Seamaster DeLuxe line in the late 1950's. Some of these were solid gold with gold dials. The automatic versions had caliber 500/501 movements, depending on whether they were designated for sale in the US (17 jewel cal. 500) or elsewhere (20 jewel cal. 501).

The Seamaster DeVille line, to my knowledge, wasn't introduced until the early 1960's. By that time, Omega was using the slimmer series 55X/56X movements. I have never seen a Seamaster DeVille watch with a caliber 500 or 501 movement.

Doesn't mean that they do not exist, just that I haven't seen one.
    gatorcpa

Biezmez, Dan S, Pjberr and 4 others like this.
  19. Dr No Nov 21, 2018

Ditto.

IMG_0011 16.JPG

Solid gold dial, cal 354 movement; probably sold in '58, produced earlier.

Art

Dan S, Pjberr, Davidt and 1 other person like this.
  20. Pjberr Nov 21, 2018

I'm just digging through trying to find some of the other references I found but definitely it was "DeVille". Before I shove another foot in my mouth I'm trying to find a picture from before I cleaned it. In the mid fifties, my father worked for GE in their radio broadcast transmitter division designing antenna systems. He travelled extensively assisting with technical sales and inspecting/troubleshootng radio array installations. Primarily he could have bought it anywhere and I didn't think to ask him specifically. Now it's a little too late. But he was the kind to want something different and custom.