Forums Latest Members
  1. blubarb Sep 11, 2015

The seller is asking USD1350 for this 1956 Pie Pan. Any comments?
    The Omega Vintage site says:

Stainless steel
    CASE BACK TYPE
    Press-in
    DIAL
    "De Luxe" dial ("pie pan" type) with hand-rivetted gold hour markers and gold hands.

DSC_0789.JPG View attachment 155562

DSC_0766.JPG

Edited Sep 11, 2015
    Waynepjr and TexOmega like this.
  2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 11, 2015

Hi Blubarb

the De Luxe reference generally refers to a gold dial
    this little fella is the normal dial with what looks like steel furniture
    that doesn't mean the reference is incorrect -just that the Omega database is not comprehensive

fonts look good
    but it is a very well patinated dial
    case looks pretty good and sharp

IMHO I think $1350 is quite expensive for a SS Connie in this condition -should have a near perfect dial for that kind of money

any pictures of the case back and movement?

Waynepjr, ConElPueblo and Geo! like this.
  3. peatnick Sep 11, 2015

My 2852 for comparison from a fellow member here

[​IMG]

Paid a bit less but was told the furniture is white gold though the case is steel

Waynepjr, TexOmega and blubarb like this.
  4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 11, 2015

ah! -of course - I should have thought of that
    would that then qualify as a De Luxe dial?

what's with the patination on these case types -your watches could be twins

nice watch BTW!

5. Kja Sep 11, 2015

The deluxe is just referring to the pie pan as an upgrade. My 56 says the same thing on the database.

6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 11, 2015

Hi Kja

Hmm - I thought a 'de luxe' had a gold case and a 'grand luxe' a gold case and gold dial?

I was just wondering if white gold markers qualified as something extra special to YG/RG indices ?

7. Hijak Sep 11, 2015

This is a De Luxe...
    Strap Shot.JPG
    A De Luxe has an 18K case and an 18K dial, hands and markers. If it doesn't have the gold dial it is not a De Luxe.

Waynepjr, George.A, JohnSteed and 3 others like this.
  8. blubarb Sep 11, 2015

Unfortunately no pictures of the inside caseback or movement which, to be honest, is usually a deal breaker. The seller has
    claimed that the "case back and movement as its on pretty tight and I don't have the proper tools or skills to feel comfortable forcing them open. I did however have the watch inspected by my watchmaker to ensure its originality upon purchasing it." Unfortunately doesn't fill me with confidence. I can easily walk based on that alone. I have a picture of the back and a tag the seller found. I was thinking that the price, if all is correct, would be closer to $1100? Of course not being able to see under the hood does concern me a little. I have bought the seller first which complicates things.

Btw, yours and this, side by side, could be twins, Peatnick.

DSC_0804.JPG

image1.jpeg

9. Hijak Sep 11, 2015

here is another 2852 to compare to...this one has pink gold dial furniture...
    Wrist Shot, 2.JPG

Waynepjr, Peemacgee, Ko1892 and 2 others like this.
  10. Kja Sep 11, 2015

I know deluxe is a model of pie pan.. I'm just saying that when I looked up my '56 it also said under dial type "deluxe pie pan". Mine is not a deluxe either, it'ss with gold hands and markers. I believe for this year at least the deluxe is just referring to it being a pie pan instead of a flat dial.
    My point is that to ease your mind on that topic because mine from the same year says the same thing. I gotta go to work but if you want I can snap a picture of the database saying that and my watch if you want or it will help.

11. Hijak Sep 11, 2015

You're assuming that the OVDB is complete and totally correct. It isn't. It's also possible that your reference had a version with a gold dial. De Luxe does not refer to a plain pie pan, it refers to a gold dial. If you're referring to this....

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-...-details/?no_cache=1&tx_omega_Page[ref]=14966

Where it says "De Luxe dial (pie pan type)" ...this is referring to a gold pie pan dial.

12. Kja Sep 11, 2015

OK well mine says that exact thing and this is my watch=

[​IMG]

So I guess both ours were mistakes.. Not being condescending but I guess it's possible.

Waynepjr and TexOmega like this.
  13. Hijak Sep 11, 2015

It's not a mistake it's just incomplete, as I said above. It mentions the De Luxe dial and not the standard pie pan, incompleteness in very common on the OVDB.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 11, 2015

Putting all the sniping about deluxe and non-deluxe aside...

The watch is priced at retail, yet the seller can't or won't provide movement pictures. That alone would cause me to pass.

The information on the hang tag is consistent with the age of the watch and the Omega database, but how much do you trust his watchmaker regarding the condition?

At $600, I'm a gambler on this watch. Not so much at $1,300.

No warm and fuzzies here.
    gatorcpa

Waynepjr and blubarb like this.
  15. cristos71 Sep 11, 2015

Agreed, factoring in a minimum service cost of €150 and a max of say €250 plus perhaps another €30-40 on the hand cleaning and polish of the hands and markers and a also a light hand cleaning/buffing of the case.

It could scrub up well and become a $1300 watch but it ain´t there yet and will always have that tired dial.

blubarb likes this.
  16. blubarb Sep 11, 2015

Have to defer to Gatorcpa and cristos71 on this one. I'm moving on. The reasons: 1) overall condition of dial relative to the price. 2) The price 3) unavailability of movement photos and inside case back. 4) guaranteed will need a service 5) Tanking AUD making this an all up AUD2000+ (with service and duties) watch that I couldn't get half back again if I decided to sell it on.

Reason has to rule heart on this one. Thanks for all the input guys!