Forums Latest Members

1956 Omega Globemaster (early US version of Constellation?)

1. alexdazio Dec 29, 2019

Good morning to everybody

I found this on eBay (starting bid, 1.700 Canadian dollars). It is descrived as a "1956 Omega Globemaster Rare early US version of the popular Constellation line".

GM01.jpg

I am aware that at the very beginning, it was not possible to use the name "Constellation" in the US because of trademark issues and that "Globemaster" was adopted instead. Nevertheless, it's probably the first time I see a vintage Globemaster/Constellation for sale online.

GM02.jpg

Apart from the name, everything else should have been the same. Right? Because of that, there are a few things that puzzle me, though, and I would like to ask what's the opinion of the experts in this group.

1 - Dial - Refinished? The "Globemaster" inscription seems too bold and I have doubts about the crosshair
    2 - Crown - I read the piece (https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-curious-case-of-controversial-constellation-crowns.54568/) and the crown that comes with this watch simply does not look right.
    3 - Back - No observatory? Is that possible? There are no pics available on eBay of the inside of the back cover. Suspicious...
    4 - Movement - It seems not in great shape.

GM04.jpg

5 - Description - The ad says: "It still keep great time, but would look best in a box next to a new version!". Strange piece of advice, isn't it? In practice, the seller suggests that when you buy the watch, it's better if you don't use use it!

Thank you in advance for your thoughts

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 29, 2019

Rare early redial you mean?

kaplan and janice&fred like this.
  3. OMEGuy Dec 29, 2019

1. Yes, I think the dial has been redone and the "Globemaster" looks odd all in all. Then "SWISS MADE" instead of "SWISS" and lume on the markers?
    2. Not sure, might be correct.
    3. Yes, this caseback looks correct.
    4. Yes, looks like it needs a service.
    5. Strange advice indeed. You might ask the seller, if he will include box and new version in the purchase. :)

6. I recommend to read this thread including the weblink provided there:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-globemaster-circa-1958.36026/

Edited Dec 29, 2019
    DaveK likes this.
  4. alexdazio Dec 30, 2019

Thank you very much for the kind reply and the useful info. I tried to found some extra info on this forum abut the vintage Globemaster, but there si so much stuff and I missed the thread mentioned in the previous post.

To recap, movement in need of a good service, dial refinished, crown possibly correct, caseback correct (as far as I understand, Globmaster cases were done in the US. That should explain why case is goldfilled and caseback is plain SS. I think that Connies came only in SS, SS & Gold indexes, Gold capped and Gold, not GF).

What about the price? In the light of the above, it seems to be pretty expensive.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 30, 2019

6. alexdazio Dec 30, 2019

Thank you!

Definitely Desmond is the “authority” in all Connie related matters.

:)

7. alexdazio Jan 7, 2020

It’s again for sale starting much lower (1.200 Canadian$). Still expensive, I think

8. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 7, 2020

"It still keep great time, but would look best in a box next to a new version!", that’s classic.