Forums Latest Members

1956 Olympic Seamaster "Cross Of Merit" help needed

1. coredriller Nov 24, 2015

I wonder if anyone here can help me. I have been watching this 1956 Olympic Omega for some time. The only similar watches I have come across only have red Olympic rings, although I believe a dial with coloured rings was produced.
    Also I have not encountered a similar watch with the tritium markings and it is this that is causing me to have doubts.
    I would be very grateful if anybody could help in this matter.
    Many thanks
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262151316282?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 24, 2015

Edit the title to

1956 Olympic seamaster help needed.

Will get more experts, is someone here that owns a bucket of them.....

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 24, 2015

Edited the title, @mac_omega is probably the best guy on these but I'm pretty sure the colouring is off as is the tritium markings for the multi coloured version.

STANDY likes this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 24, 2015

The watch has been sitting around in eBay for a long time and with good reason.

1. The dial has been refinished. There is no tritium on there and even if there was, they didn't start using the "T" until 1963.

2. There is a problem with the rotor bearings. That explains the rubbing on the rotor. This may have been repaired, but most watchmakers will also replace the entire rotor assembly when that is done.

3. There is no good pictures of the movement at all. Not a good sign.

If the price was under $2,000, it might be worth purchasing and putting in the work necessary to restore the watch properly.

At $4,000 there's no meat on the bone. You'll be $6K into a non-collector's grade watch very quickly.
    gatorcpa

5. coredriller Nov 24, 2015

Thank you so much for your help. I was wondering why it had been up for sale for so long. Also I didn't realise that they only started using the "T" in 1963. Your expertise is much appreciated.

6. mac_omega Nov 24, 2015

Dial redone wrongly

wrong winding crown

overly worn case

bad condition movement

not collector´s grade

hence price much too high given the condition

7. coredriller Nov 25, 2015

Once again, thank you for your help.