Forums Latest Members
  1. Marcus May 16, 2012

Hi
    I have a queryabout my watch that hopefully someone may be able to shed some light on. The watch is a 1953 Omega Tresor which I’m very pleased with and it keeps excellent time. My question concerns the winding.

I wind the watch in the usual manner but sometimes the winder stop dead and is impossible to turn. At first I thought this meant that it was fully wound, but this morning after it came to a dead stop I revisited it about 5 minutes later and to my surprise it was free again and winds freely. I have to admit that I know very little about the watch, but I’m curious as to why the winder would stop and then moments later wind again. The moverment is a bumper movement I believe if this helps.

I was told by the person I bought the watch from that it had some kind of clutch mechanism in it that disengaged the winder from the spring once the watch was fully wound. Is this the case and if so, why does it then stop dead on some occasions?

Many thanks

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 16, 2012

My Cal 501 Pie-pan has a similar issue and I was told not to use it until its serviced, not sure about bumpers though as I've never owned one.

3. ulackfocus May 16, 2012

If it is an automatic from that period, the sliding bridle might be sticking because it's in dire need of a service. Can't say for sure, only a watchmaker can.