Forums Latest Members
  1. seamasterrr Apr 11, 2012

Hey guys!
    I'm looking for some more info on my grandfather's 1953/54 Seamaster Officially Certified Chronometre (Sic) serial number 139xxxxxxxx. He bought it in Gibraltar in 1958 when the shops there were all still British, so it was used or just sat in the store for 5 years. The crown may be stock, but obviously isn't the standard (Obviously there are discrepancies in the Omega world). Guilloche/waffle texture with crosshair. Dial has not been retouched in any way. The top of "swiss made" is just BARELY visible on the bottom, covered by bezel. The bezel is flatter than most I've seen. Crystal is a replacement omega period crystal, obvious scratches and marks.Also, the typography of both the top section and bottom section are unusual, with the "Automatic: and "chronometre" aligned at the edges like a box, and I have found an EXACT match to the "S" in the SEAMASTER in only 1 other watch online, it is not as curvy as most you see. Slight staining on the 4 and 5 oclock batons. It runs but doesnt keep the best time, about 15 seconds a day. Basically I am interested in how much you guys think it may be worth, given that it is a combination of chronometre, crosshair, and guilloche, and I haven't seen another piece with all three of these desirable characteristics in the hundreds and hundreds of watched I've looked at online. Any comments and thoughts are appreciated!
    Thanks!
    View attachment 2043 View attachment 2044 View attachment 2045 View attachment 2046

2. seamasterrr Apr 11, 2012

3. seamasterrr Apr 11, 2012

4. seamasterrr Apr 11, 2012

5. seamasterrr Apr 11, 2012

IMAG0465.jpg

6. seamasterrr Apr 11, 2012

IMAG0457.jpg

7. seamasterrr Apr 11, 2012

IMAG0463.jpg

8. seamasterrr Apr 11, 2012

IMAG0466.jpg

9. ulackfocus Apr 11, 2012

The font of Seamaster looks okay to me. The 12 to 6 crosshair line runs inside the spine of the E in OMEGA which checks out too. That's a nice watch that's even better because it's an heirloom. Are you looking for value out of curiosity or do you want to sell it?

seamasterrr likes this.
  10. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 11, 2012

11. seamasterrr Apr 11, 2012

wow, that's the closest I've ever seen to my particular dial, thanks for posting! unfortunate that that was deemed a redial. and do you mean a fabricated dial or one that was altered (i.e. crosshair added etc.)? Because if you look at the waffle, and trace it's lines from the center, you end up at 1 oclock on my watch and some certified watches i have found online, rather than 1:30, which a different style waffle that is faked much more often. As for being a redial, if so, it must have been a redial when bought in 1968, because it hasn't changed since then or ever been repainted. And movement is all original, marked tested to pressures and temperatures and everything. thanks again for lookin at it and helpin me out!

12. seamasterrr Apr 11, 2012

And I'm not really interested in selling, just wondering if it's as valuable as it suspect it is, what with a combo of chronometre, waffle, and crosshair! And has anyone ever come across redials that were altered in the 50s? I guess that could be possible for mine, I know my grandpa never bought anything new, so i guess he could have gotten jipped 45 years ago, but I know it hasn't changed since he bought it.

13. seamasterrr Apr 11, 2012

I zoomed on the example you posted (top) and mine (bottom). I'm a graphic designer so i study type for a living, I;d say these are totally different, my initial S is a little more rounded on top and bottom, the first e has much more scripty crossbar the begins closer to the S, the a's are more rounded in your example, and my ending r comes off the baseline. Screen shot 2012-04-11 at 10.39.58 PM.png

14. seamasterrr Apr 11, 2012

for the most telling part, look at the space between in the "S" and the "e"

15. seamasterrr Apr 11, 2012

here's the top, definitely from different eras, but still, the waffle appears to be the same Screen shot 2012-04-11 at 10.52.13 PM.png

16. Trev The Architect Staff Member Apr 12, 2012

Off-topic: If you're still on 10.6.x, stick with it as long as you can! :)

seamasterrr likes this.
  17. Steve Apr 12, 2012

The 'A' on the Omega was deemed to be a contributing factor between original and fakes/ redials . I was told an Original 'A' should have a flat top not a pionted top ?.

18. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 12, 2012

OP's watch looks original to me and not a refinish. I was of the opinion that the watch Kyle posted which was discussed in another watch forum is a redial and I stand by that. One point here is in the crosshair dial omegas, the vertical line passes just inside the spine of the letter "E" in omega in the original dials - it does in the OP's watch but not in the one Kyle posted. Observe also that the crosshairs and the fonts in the OP's watch are thinner (as they should be) in comparison to the other watch.
    The flat or pointed "A" was specifically cited as a tell in casebacks of vintage seamasters of which there are many and does not apply to script written in the dial.

19. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 12, 2012

Printed OMEGA with pointed top A is normal, but the A's in the AUTOMATIC should have flat tops.

===============================

[​IMG]

Yes, there fonts look the same but they are different. The connect from "s" to "t" is very easy to tell.

Best.

20. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 12, 2012

Thanks for posting Hoi and Mike, I always learns something new from you guys!